Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A great story

Featured Replies

About an immigrant with limited English language skills saving a police officer.

 

 

Man who saved Miami cop: "How could I not?"

 

I put this in here because this forum is where I see the bulk of the gross generalizations about immigrants and what they are in America to achieve. And the discussions we've had about people needing to learn English if they want to be American. And the rash of recent discussions about police shootings and (what I feel) is a perception that the citizenry are anti-police.

 

This man risked his life to save a police officer. This man who many may look at as an illegal, here in America to milk the system, if they passed him on the street.

 

While most legal immigrants will never be as high-profile as this gentleman because of the nature of circumstances that led to his story being made public, it is an excellent example of the reason that we should not make broad generalizations about groups of people...ever. Perception is NOT reality.

Is he legal or illegal?

 

There's a difference. I have seen no one on here say anything negative about legal immigration but I have seen a lot of generalizations made that if you oppose illegal immigration you must oppose all immigration.

  • Author

It doesn't say, that I found. But there has also been a great deal of discussion in the last about immigrants of any sort not speaking English. There has been support of businesses that post signs refusing business to those who don't speak English.

 

From the details of the story, his length of residence , employment, etc. it would seem he is legal.

Whether he is legal or illegal, he risked his life to save a cop. Kudos to him.

:thumb: That cop would be dead if Ramirez did not think/act quickly like that. I hope that I could be so quick thinking and brave in a similar situation.

Whether he is legal or illegal, he risked his life to save a cop. Kudos to him.

 

I agree

He did great. I am surprised that after 14 years here he speaks limited English although I suppose in Miami there are areas where you can get by without knowing much English.

The accusations you make of prejudices that some may feel toward immigrants should be redirected. I believe the debate over immigration is about legal vs. illegal immigration. Too many believe that there is a bias, hatred toward immigrants, when it is no more than a belief that immigrants should come by the way of legal means.

 

Yes, the man did a good thing.

Is he legal or illegal?

 

There's a difference. I have seen no one on here say anything negative about legal immigration but I have seen a lot of generalizations made that if you oppose illegal immigration you must oppose all immigration.

 

The accusations you make of prejudices that some may feel toward immigrants should be redirected. I believe the debate over immigration is about legal vs. illegal immigration. Too many believe that there is a bias, hatred toward immigrants, when it is no more than a belief that immigrants should come by the way of legal means.

 

Yes, the man did a good thing.

 

I hate to speak for RM, but I think what she may be getting at is the point that a very significant number of white Americans who see/hear someone who is "no hablo Ingles" automatically assume they're illegal scum who should be on the next boat out of the USA. That significant number I speak of generally doesn't make nuanced distinctions beyond "brown skin = illegal Mexican."

Since the thought police are out, what's the story line on the shooter?

I hate to speak for RM, but I think what she may be getting at is the point that a very significant number of white Americans who see/hear someone who is "no hablo Ingles" automatically assume they're illegal scum who should be on the next boat out of the USA. That significant number I speak of generally doesn't make nuanced distinctions beyond "brown skin = illegal Mexican."

 

And there's a very significant number of white Americans who seem to have race guilt and want to negate every bad thing illegal immigrants do because not all illegal immigrants commit crimes (other then being illegal).

Question about being an immigrant. If America was failing and let's say Mexico was booming, had work and was a better place, your family is literally starving to death, do YOU jump the fence? Make you look at it a little differently. Illegal as it is do you do what you got to do?

Question about being an immigrant. If America was failing and let's say Mexico was booming, had work and was a better place, your family is literally starving to death, do YOU jump the fence? Make you look at it a little differently. Illegal as it is do you do what you got to do?

 

You bring up a great point FtN...and one that I think needs clarifying. I am firmly against illegal immigration but all for legal immigration. However, I don't fault the Mexicans coming across the border unless once they get here, they do illegal things. If I was in the same situation as many of them, I may do the same thing. HOWEVER, I DO BLAME our government for ALLOWING them to cross the border and causing chaos in many border states...not to mention the national security issues. Our federal government is playing with fire on this one. How in this day and age with all the bad guys out there who hate the US can you not secure the border?

You bring up a great point FtN...and one that I think needs clarifying. I am firmly against illegal immigration but all for legal immigration. However, I don't fault the Mexicans coming across the border unless once they get here, they do illegal things. If I was in the same situation as many of them, I may do the same thing. HOWEVER, I DO BLAME our government for ALLOWING them to cross the border and causing chaos in many border states...not to mention the national security issues. Our federal government is playing with fire on this one. How in this day and age with all the bad guys out there who hate the US can you not secure the border?

 

I agree with everything you said. I jump the fence to work and feed my family, but not to rob and kill. But how do you tell who will do what? The borders need to be secured period. We just need a better way to American citizenship.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.