Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5 or 6 class football revisited

Featured Replies

5 or 6 class football is getting another boost too. Both the coaches association and the KHSAA appear to be on the bandwagon.

 

First my opinion, four classes is the max KY should ever have because there are just not enough schools to justify more classes. However, if the coaches association and the KHSAA both think this is a good idea I am ok with it which brings me to my point. If KY goes to more classes we need to go for the gold and make it six classes and not five. My reasons for doing so:

 

1. If some is good more is better. Six classes gives more teams light at the end of the tunnel, more teams will be in the playoffs, and more champions will be crowned.

 

2. One of the biggest "problems" with KY high school football is Trinity and St. Xavier are sooo big they have an advantage over smaller 4A schools that is difficult for the small schools to compete with. Going to five classes would be good but going to six classes would be even a better way to deal with this "problem" because the enrollment disparity would be a lot less and the teams would be more evenly matched.

 

3. Six state championship games would be an ideal starting point to elevate KY high school football to Sweet 16 "event status" by playing the games in a 2-2-2 format with two games on Thursday, two games on Friday, and two games on Saturday. The Sweet 16 is so popular because it is an event with lots of possibilities for those in attendance and football can be similar and this is an ideal way to do it.

 

4. Six classes would be great for BGP!!! LOL

 

Everyone else? Your thoughts, ideas, concerns?

  • Replies 37
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

 

2. One of the biggest "problems" with KY high school football is Trinity and St. Xavier are sooo big they have an advantage over smaller 4A schools that is difficult for the small schools to compete with. Going to five classes would be good but going to six classes would be even a better way to deal with this "problem" because the enrollment disparity would be a lot less and the teams would be more evenly matched.

 

 

X and T are THE reason for the new proposal. I get the argument that schools like Dixie have half the number of boys that these two giants do. My concern , though, is actually solving the problem. How many schools even somewhat approach these two in male enrollment? 10? 15? You're still going to have schools in 6A that are at a fairly significant disadvantage. What do you do with those schools?

  • Author

Of course there is no perfect solution and there will still be a disparity but it will be a big improvement.

 

And short of kicking the private schools out, nothing else that is done will have much of an effect on T and X. The only way T and X can be handled is if the public schools get their act together. We are seeing it (to an extent) at both Scott County and John Hardin right now and there is no reason several more public schools can't join right in. Another school that is on the watch list is Dunbar.

Of course there is no perfect solution and there will still be a disparity but it will be a big improvement.

 

And short of kicking the private schools out, nothing else that is done will have much of an effect on T and X. The only way T and X can be handled is if the public schools get their act together. We are seeing it (to an extent) at both Scott County and John Hardin right now and there is no reason several more public schools can't join right in. Another school that is on the watch list is Dunbar.

 

5 would be the absolute most I would OK.

 

6 is too many.

Last time Scott County got a swing at X, they showed they didn't belong at the plate.

 

Except for a bungled 4th quarter, John Hardin wasn't much for X either.

 

I think that there programs both need a little more time before they're held up as the standard carriers for the public schools.

 

And I don't even see your point with Dunbar.

  • Author
5 would be the absolute most I would OK.

 

6 is too many.

 

But if the problem is T and X then 6 is better than 5.

But if the problem is T and X then 6 is better than 5.

 

Why? Create the "really big boys" class, keep the other 4A teams in 4A. All other classes stay the same. There is no such enrollment disparity in the other 3 classes. Its ONLY a 4A problem.

  • Author
Last time Scott County got a swing at X, they showed they didn't belong at the plate.

 

Except for a bungled 4th quarter, John Hardin wasn't much for X either.

 

I think that there programs both need a little more time before they're held up as the standard carriers for the public schools.

 

And I don't even see your point with Dunbar.

 

Rome wasn't built in a day and at least Scott County made it to the finals. No one in KY was ready to step up against the Tigers in that game at that location. Sure Scott County needs to get better but they are making progress and that is what I am talking about.

 

Just watch John Hardin the next five years (as long as their current head coach stays on) and see.

 

I agree both programs need more time and calling them the standard is your words not mine.

 

Dunbar has been to the finals before, they have had a lot of teams that advanced deep in the playoffs but they have always been a little soft in my opinion. With the new coaching staff there isn't going to be anything soft at all about Dunbar and I think they warrant watching.

  • Author
Why? Create the "really big boys" class, keep the other 4A teams in 4A. All other classes stay the same. There is no such enrollment disparity in the other 3 classes. Its ONLY a 4A problem.

 

Because the more you divide the pie the less the disparity becomes.

 

If I were in charge I would be tempted to go with what I proposed on BGP several years ago. I would make a 5th Super Class that anyone could decide to play up in. If no one wanted to play up it would be the largest 16 schools in KY in the Super Class and the other four classes would go right down enrollment lines.

Because the more you divide the pie the less the disparity becomes.

 

If I were in charge I would be tempted to go with what I proposed on BGP several years ago. I would make a 5th Super Class that anyone could decide to play up in. If no one wanted to play up it would be the largest 16 schools in KY in the Super Class and the other four classes would go right down enrollment lines.

 

So we agree, right? Super Class, 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A.

Because the more you divide the pie the less the disparity becomes.

 

If I were in charge I would be tempted to go with what I proposed on BGP several years ago. I would make a 5th Super Class that anyone could decide to play up in. If no one wanted to play up it would be the largest 16 schools in KY in the Super Class and the other four classes would go right down enrollment lines.

 

I like the super class better than 6 even classes.

  • Author

I said I would be tempted cshs81.

 

And, for the record, if the five classes are going to be divided by enrollment then I am for six classes and not five. However, if we can limit the Super Class to 16 teams I would probably lean towards five.

 

Even at six classes I would like to see 16 teams in a Super Class and the other five classes divided by enrollment.

 

Again, if the "problem" is T and X the fewer teams we have in the top class the better.

But if the problem is T and X then 6 is better than 5.

 

Six is better than 5 for some but the rest of us still have to deal with X and T.

X and T are THE reason for the new proposal.

 

 

There were several coaches, including myself, interested in exploring 6 classes to help with heat and limited practice time in the preseason- long story that was covered extensively in previous threads. X and T had nothing to do with it for us- but I can't speak for everyone of course.

I don't mean to be out of bgp guidelines or anything, but would one of the classes be all Private Schools seperated? What does everyone think of that proposal? Again, I don't mean to get into the Public / Private debate.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.