Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tebow Law II

Featured Replies

In other words, you'll accept only those stats that support your position. :rolleyes:

 

 

HHS - surely we can agree that the composition of the two groups would make it likely that home-schoolers would achieve higher, right?

  • Replies 117
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HHS - surely we can agree that the composition of the two groups would make it likely that home-schoolers would achieve higher, right?
I'm not going back there. It has nothing to do with the thread topic.
I'm not going back there. It has nothing to do with the thread topic.

 

What? You make a claim. I question the composition of the two pools and now you say you dont want to discuss it?

What? You make a claim. I question the composition of the two pools and now you say you dont want to discuss it?
You questioned it at post 100. It's obvious that you don't support home schooling, so nothing I could say will change that. Now, let's move back on topic please.
You questioned it at post 100. It's obvious that you don't support home schooling, so nothing I could say will change that. Now, let's move back on topic please.

 

I question the legitimacy of a stat and you have determined how I feel about home schooling? Did I type something else that caused you to make this huge leap?

Well, I guess since HHSdad has called me out that I should respond.

 

I believe home schooling is fine for many children. Whether it be for religious reasons, special needs, social reasons, or simply having a wonderful parent who has the ability/time/patience to teach at home, its the right solution for some kids.

 

Like any decision made, there are "opportunity costs". Learning to function in a group setting COULD be a problem. Lack of structure could be a problem. Lack of extracurriculars could be a problem. Heck, lack of silly school hijinks could be a problem.

 

My wife and I have good friends who chose to home school their child for one year. It was a combination of his high aptitude and also social challenges that caused them to make the decision. It worked great for one year but they have decided to put him back in the public school system.

 

Now, is home schooling a panacea? No. Do the test scores tell us anything? I say "no" because its not an accurate measure of the school setting being THE factor in determining scores. THAT's what I was trying to get across.

 

Now that I've stated my position, HHSdad, can we agree that the "stats" are misleading when it comes to determining even from strictly a "test score" perspective if home schooling is better than public/private schooling?

You questioned it at post 100. It's obvious that you don't support home schooling, so nothing I could say will change that. Now, let's move back on topic please.

 

cshs81 should be allowed to counter your assumption to his position. Which he did a great job in making on the above post. You have a tendancy to label positions HHSdad. Allow those who take you to task to clear it up. Good job cshs on a strong and on point post.:thumb:

 

Back on topic, what is the harm in allowing home school kids to join competitive teams at public schools?

 

Why not the private schools?

Regardless of your personal observation, any coach will want, what I call the three "C"

continuity, community and chemistry.

 

Program pride, school spirit, common goal of a SCHOOL - to be a success!

 

How could it help the school and those at the school is the better question.

Seems odd that all the home school bashers are teachers. HMMM... same crew that routinely bash private school. Another case of... if you can't beat 'em, exclude 'em. :lol:

Then you will be very comfortable with the stats that show public education vs. private to be better in math and science, per the Christian Science Monitor.:thumb:

 

I know for a fact I received a FAR SUPIOR education at Trinity than I would have at ANY Jefferson County Public School.

Why not the private schools?

Regardless of your personal observation, any coach will want, what I call the three "C"

continuity, community and chemistry.

 

Program pride, school spirit, common goal of a SCHOOL - to be a success!

 

How could it help the school and those at the school is the better question.

 

"why not the private schools"? are you serious? Just suppose the next Tim Tebow is excluded from playing ball at a JCPS, but Trinity welcomes him with open arms. Could you imagine the collective cry of FOUL from all around the state? I thought we all wanted whats best for all children. I guess they must agree to be put in your box first.

The end result is very questionable. I am sure the parents really "care", but a real question of teaching/learning has been well documented. HHDad talks about the numbers who take the standards test. Well, what about the rest who do not? That is a huge gap and no one really questions it.

 

So you are actually saying a kid that sits in a room with 30 other kids gains knowledge better than a kid in a one on one situation? Sorry, but my logic tells me otherwise. Then again, I am a product of a private education which your studies show lacks in math and science. That could explain it.

How about this:

 

We start a thread on the virtues of various methods of schooling, and a seperate thread on the Tebow Law.

 

This one's done. Feel free to start either or both of the threads I suggest above, but keep each on its topic.

 

Thanks kindly.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.