Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cy Young was not a 1st Ballot HOFer?

Featured Replies

I was shocked to learn this. Writers voted in the Big Train and Christy Matthewson over the games winningest pitcher. Interesting litte tidbit of information.

Definitely an oddity. But, I think the time separation had a factor. Young had been retired for an amazing 25 years by the time the voting took place for the first class.

If he had just won another game or two.

Chalk up another example as to why Baseball HOF voting is laughable.

Pretty Solid Group that didn't get in that first vote!!!

[TABLE=class: wikitable]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Nap Lajoie[/TD]

[TD=align: center]146[/TD]

[TD=align: center]64.6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Tris Speaker[/TD]

[TD=align: center]133[/TD]

[TD=align: center]58.8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Cy Young[/TD]

[TD=align: center]111[/TD]

[TD=align: center]49.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Rogers Hornsby[/TD]

[TD=align: center]105[/TD]

[TD=align: center]46.4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Mickey Cochrane[/TD]

[TD=align: center]80[/TD]

[TD=align: center]35.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†George Sisler[/TD]

[TD=align: center]77[/TD]

[TD=align: center]34.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Eddie Collins[/TD]

[TD=align: center]60[/TD]

[TD=align: center]26.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Jimmy Collins[/TD]

[TD=align: center]58[/TD]

[TD=align: center]25.6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Grover Cleveland Alexander[/TD]

[TD=align: center]55[/TD]

[TD=align: center]24.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Lou Gehrig[/TD]

[TD=align: center]51[/TD]

[TD=align: center]22.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Roger Bresnahan[/TD]

[TD=align: center]47[/TD]

[TD=align: center]20.7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Willie Keeler[/TD]

[TD=align: center]40[/TD]

[TD=align: center]17.6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Rube Waddell[/TD]

[TD=align: center]33[/TD]

[TD=align: center]14.6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Jimmie Foxx[/TD]

[TD=align: center]21[/TD]

[TD=align: center]9.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Ed Walsh[/TD]

[TD=align: center]20[/TD]

[TD=align: center]8.8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Ed Delahanty[/TD]

[TD=align: center]17[/TD]

[TD=align: center]7.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Pie Traynor[/TD]

[TD=align: center]16[/TD]

[TD=align: center]7.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Frankie Frisch[/TD]

[TD=align: center]14[/TD]

[TD=align: center]6.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #CCCCFF]

[TD]†Lefty Grove[/TD]

[TD=align: center]12[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Was there a 5-man limit then? I'm old, but I just can't remember.

Was there a 5-man limit then? I'm old, but I just can't remember.

 

Many thought that Young should have only been considered on the Veterans Ballot and not with the current players. That probable is why he didn't get enough votes on first ballot.

If he had just won another game or two.

 

Won a lot of games but did not win Cy Youngs. :D

Serious chance that I'll someday spend several hours trying to convince my as-yet-unknown wife to let me name our firstborn Napoleon Lajoie.

Serious chance that I'll someday spend several hours trying to convince my as-yet-unknown wife to let me name our firstborn Napoleon Lajoie.

 

A name like that only works if you slap it in front of a plain-jane sorta surname such as Jones or Johnson. Yours wouldn't work — too many cultures clashing.

 

I mean, Napoleon Lajoie Jones just rolls off the tongue.

I guess Cy Young refused to talk to the media after games....

Rogers Hornsby and Lou Gehrig were not 1st ballot HOFers, crazy

A name like that only works if you slap it in front of a plain-jane sorta surname such as Jones or Johnson. Yours wouldn't work — too many cultures clashing.

 

I mean, Napoleon Lajoie Jones just rolls off the tongue.

 

I feel like it works as long as the nickname sticks. "Nap."

Rogers Hornsby and Lou Gehrig were not 1st ballot HOFers, crazy

 

Not surprised he didn't get in on first ballot because of the great names ahead of him, but the fact that Lefty Grove had barely five percent shocks me.

 

Still holds the record for leading the league in ERA nine times in his career. Seven consecutive seasons leading the league in strikeouts.

 

One of only three pitchers (Sandy Koufax and Nolan Ryan) to have twice struck out a side in just nine pitches.

  • Author
A name like that only works if you slap it in front of a plain-jane sorta surname such as Jones or Johnson. Yours wouldn't work — too many cultures clashing.

 

I mean, Napoleon Lajoie Jones just rolls off the tongue.

 

or Dynamite

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.