Bishop Brossart 59 Highlands 50

Mustangs take care of business at home against the Highlands Bluebirds.

Birds on fire early, run out to a 12-4 lead, before the Mustangs right the ship and close the gap to within four at 16-12 in favor of Highlands at the first quarter stop.

Brossart Senior Jon Zink flat took over the ballgame in the second quarter, scoring 12 of his game-high 20 points, rallying the Stangs from a 4 point deficit to an 8 point Brossart lead at the half. The Mustangs edged the visitors 13-12 in the third quarter to take a 45-36 lead into the final stanza, where the two teams would slug it out to a 14-14 tie, giving the Mustangs a 59-50 homestanding win and evening our season record at 3-3. Highlands falls to 0-3 on the young season.

The Mustangs were led by the forementioned Jon Zink with a career high 20 points. Spencer Hackworth contributed 11, while Jacob Zai added 9, Gabe Roberts 7, Clay Kramer and Blake Saunders 4 each, and Dylan Geiman and Gabe Roberts 2 each. The Mustangs were 13-22 from the free-throw line.

Highlands was led by future West Pointer Parker Harris with 14. Mitchell Cain contributed 12, Justin Weyer and Austin Hergott 9 apiece, and Chandler New, Kenny Ball, and Bo Hebel 2 each. Highlands hit on 16 of 21 from the line.

Brossart faces a stiff challenge vs Holy Cross on Monday night in Latonia, while the Birds will be seeking their first win of the season at 2:30pm on Tuesday at Walton-Verona. Here's one vote that says they get it.

Mustangs take care of business at home against the Highlands Bluebirds.

Birds on fire early, run out to a 12-4 lead, before the Mustangs right the ship and close the gap to within four at 16-12 in favor of Highlands at the first quarter stop.

Brossart Senior Jon Zink flat took over the ballgame in the second quarter, scoring 12 of his game-high 20 points, rallying the Stangs from a 4 point deficit to an 8 point Brossart lead at the half. The Mustangs edged the visitors 13-12 in the third quarter to take a 45-36 lead into the final stanza, where the two teams would slug it out to a 14-14 tie, giving the Mustangs a 59-50 homestanding win and evening our season record at 3-3. Highlands falls to 0-3 on the young season.

The Mustangs were led by the forementioned Jon Zink with a career high 20 points. Spencer Hackworth contributed 11, while Jacob Zai added 9, Gabe Roberts 7, Clay Kramer and Blake Saunders 4 each, and Dylan Geiman and Gabe Roberts 2 each. The Mustangs were 13-22 from the free-throw line.

Highlands was led by future West Pointer Parker Harris with 14. Mitchell Cain contributed 12, Justin Weyer and Austin Hergott 9 apiece, and Chandler New, Kenny Ball, and Bo Hebel 2 each. Highlands hit on 16 of 21 from the line.

Brossart faces a stiff challenge vs Holy Cross on Monday night in Latonia, while the Birds will be seeking their first win of the season at 2:30pm on Tuesday at Walton-Verona. Here's one vote that says they get it.

Best of luck to you Parker Harris, and thank you for your service to our country. Salute!

I would like someone to explain to me this call that happened in the second quarter of the game last night. A kid is runover on a shot, there is no call of a block or a charge, the shot is missed, a kid goes up for a rebound and falls over the defender that was earlier knocked to the floor. Whistle blows, anyone want to guess what the call was?

Another one from last night. Kid has the ball in his hands and is closely defended. Swings ball through once and then loads up and elbows defender in jaw. Guess what the call was for that one?

I would like someone to explain to me this call that happened in the second quarter of the game last night. A kid is runover on a shot, there is no call of a block or a charge, the shot is missed, a kid goes up for a rebound and falls over the defender that was earlier knocked to the floor. Whistle blows, anyone want to guess what the call was?

If the player on the ground was NOT moving when the rebounder fell then it should be a travel per FED rules.

What was called?

I

Another one from last night. Kid has the ball in his hands and is closely defended. Swings ball through once and then loads up and elbows defender in jaw. Guess what the call was for that one?

What do you mean by "then loads up?"

Exactly what it means. Pulled it back and swung it. Making contact with defensive player in the face.

What you are implying is that it was intentional. Am I right?

The player with the ball was (BB) Spencer Hackworth. The player that was hit was (H) Chandler New. Hackworth is a two year varsity starter, who would have made the same move to "pull the ball through" whether it was New or one of his teammates at practice. The ball was properly "chinned" and it was part of an "all one motion", pull-it-through, and then pull-it-back through. The contact was unfortunate, but believe me, it was quite unintentional. It cost us a turnover. The official administered the contact for what it was. New is a classy kid, who if asked would agree that the contact was incidental - nothing more or nothing less. New got up and shook it off. Compliments to him. IF Spencer would have wanted to send him a shot, he wouldn't have gotten off so easy. There was no animosity between the two players nor the two teams at that point. New was up tough and tight and got caught in a bad situation.

If you want to complain about a bad call against Highlands, how about citing the play where one of our players (Zai) took three steps with the ball to avoid running over a defender, made contact with that defender, and was then rewarded with a pair of free-throws (Bonus or Double-Bonus)which he made. I couldn't believe that the official, a veteran college referee, didn't simply call traveling and send it the other way.

What you are implying is that it was intentional. Am I right?

The player with the ball was (BB) Spencer Hackworth. The player that was hit was (H) Chandler New. Hackworth is a two year varsity starter, who would have made the same move to "pull the ball through" whether it was New or one of his teammates at practice. The ball was properly "chinned" and it was part of an "all one motion", pull-it-through, and then pull-it-back through. The contact was unfortunate, but believe me, it was quite unintentional. It cost us a turnover. The official administered the contact for what it was. New is a classy kid, who if asked would agree that the contact was incidental - nothing more or nothing less. New got up and shook it off. Compliments to him. IF Spencer would have wanted to send him a shot, he wouldn't have gotten off so easy. There was no animosity between the two players nor the two teams at that point. New was up tough and tight and got caught in a bad situation.

If you want to complain about a bad call against Highlands, how about citing the play where one of our players (Zai) took three steps with the ball to avoid running over a defender, made contact with that defender, and was then rewarded with a pair of free-throws (Bonus or Double-Bonus)which he made. I couldn't believe that the official, a veteran college referee, didn't simply call traveling and send it the other way.

Not implying anything at all. Simply asking a question on what exactly the rule is regarding contact to the face from a misplaced elbow.

Does Brossart teach their players to bring the ball up ("Chinned") and to keep their elbows out and bring the ball through hard with elbows out? I see them do it with numerous players for years. I do not think they try to intentionally throw elbows at opposing players, but you better not be to close when they bring a ball through their chest from one side to the other. It's the way the game used to be played but surprised they don't get called for it now.

There is a tape out there from a few years back when the big 6'9 Brossart player elbowed Brian Greene from Highlands right in front of Ref Tom Freppon and no call was made. It was a vicious elbow that had Greene wobbly and had to leave the game. I know that tape was sent to the KHSAA with a special message that Mr. Freppon never do another Highlands game. Not sure if it was intentional or not I simply forget but it was not necessary as it was in the backcourt 80 feet from the goal and it was 5'9 Brian Greene reaching for the ball against a 6'9 280lb kid. I could see if it was a battle under the basket for a rebound but he was simply clearing himself of a bug it seemed like and he appeared frustrated by that bug.