Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky High School Football Parity

Featured Replies

At the conclusion of the first day of the Kentucky High School Football Championship Weekend there will be three State Champions: 1 private school, 1 county school and 1 independent school.

 

 

Parity? Thoughts?

At the conclusion of the first day of the Kentucky High School Football Championship Weekend there will be three State Champions: 1 private school, 1 county school and 1 independent school.

 

 

Parity? Thoughts?

 

Who's the independent?

 

Belfry and Pulaski County are both County Schools.

  • Author
Who's the independent?

 

Belfry and Pulaski County are both County Schools.

I thought Belfry was independent. They are not?

I thought Belfry was independent. They are not?

 

Nope. Pike County School System.

 

The only independent in Pike County is Pikeville.

  • Author
Nope. Pike County School System.

 

The only independent in Pike County is Pikeville.

Well then, two county schools one private. The County Schools have an obvious advantage.

Well then, two county schools one private. The County Schools have an obvious advantage.

 

Time to go to 8 Classes...Public Schools have an unfair advantage!

:D

At the conclusion of the first day of the Kentucky High School Football Championship Weekend there will be three State Champions: 1 private school, 1 county school and 1 independent school.

 

 

Parity? Thoughts?

 

Not really. Independent and County are both public so there isn't a difference.

 

2 Private's played each other.

No private schools in 3A

No private schools in 5A

 

So the only opportunities private schools have had is 2A and they represented well.

Every Championship and runner-up team will be from no further than 40 miles from the nearest State line.

 

Middle of the state football must really stink! :)

Every Championship and runner-up team will be from no further than 40 miles from the nearest State line.

 

Middle of the state football must really stink! :)

 

In my best Howard Cosell voice "There's the stat that tells the story." Or not.

Owensboro Independent

 

Two guaranteed independent public champs today, and either a private or county public in 6A.

 

Nothing against Dixie, but that means the likely final count will be:

 

2 independent, 2 county, 2 private

  • Author
Two guaranteed independent public champs today, and either a private or county public in 6A.

 

Nothing against Dixie, but that means the likely final count will be:

 

2 independent, 2 county, 2 private

Parity.

 

Not really. Independent and County are both public so there isn't a difference.

 

I believe they are funded differently. I know they all receive state funding. However here in Ashland, if you live in the city you pay Ashland and Boyd county school taxes. If you live outside of the city, you just pay county taxes. Then I would assume both get equal state funding per student. I'm not sure what Boyd County's operating budget is, but theoretically they should have twice as much money to work with than Ashlands $30 million.

I believe they are funded differently. I know they all receive state funding. However here in Ashland, if you live in the city you pay Ashland and Boyd county school taxes. If you live outside of the city, you just pay county taxes. Then I would assume both get equal state funding per student. I'm not sure what Boyd County's operating budget is, but theoretically they should have twice as much money to work with than Ashlands $30 million.

 

Check again, you should be paying one or the other not both school taxes. Independent Schools and County schools are exactly the same in every way except one operates inside of the others district.

 

I'm very familiar with county tax collections and everyone should only be paying to one school district.

 

If you live in an incorporated city you have to pay city property tax to city hall and county property tax to the county but those are not the school taxes those go into the general fund of those governments. The confusion comes from that you pay to both if you live in the city, but only one of them is collecting a school tax from you which they pass on the to school.

 

Check again, you should be paying one or the other not both school taxes. Independent Schools and County schools are exactly the same in every way except one operates inside of the others district.

 

I'm very familiar with county tax collections and everyone should only be paying to one school district.

 

If you live in an incorporated city you have to pay city property tax to city hall and county property tax to the county but those are not the school taxes those go into the general fund of those governments. The confusion comes from that you pay to both if you live in the city, but only one of them is collecting a school tax from you which they pass on the to school.

 

Sounds like you know more about it than I, so I would imagine you are right. I never looked that deeply into it, I just assumed that if I'm paying for everything else the county taxes, I must be paying their school taxes also.

 

I should have looked into it before "assuming" it. I'm not good with how taxes work, I just know I have to pay them lol. Thanks for clearing that up.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.