Pulaski County vs. Graves County - 5A State Championship

theguru

Who wins?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

2013 Runner-up Pulaski County has two, two TD losses. One to Southwestern and one to regional power Bowling Green.

Graves County lost by two to Franklin Simpson to open the season, lost by 14 to Tilghman, and lost by 21 to Class A power Mayfield. However Graves beat Christian County, Bowling Green, and John Hardin to advance to the finals.

This game looks really even on paper, who wins and why?

Buy photos of your son from the game: Photos of your son or daughter, we will be at all 6 state final games taking pictures

I'm not saying this is a big factor, but this will be the 4th straight state championship game Graves QB has played in. He played in 3 for Mayfield before transferring. So he definitely has big game experience. Crider is a load at RB, and a force on the other side of the ball. I would like to know what Pulaski returned from last season if somebody could fill me in. Hopefully this will be a great game. I think Graves will be as physical as any team Pulaski has faced this year. Can't wait to see what happens!

I'm not saying this is a big factor' date=' but this will be the 4th straight state championship game Graves QB has played in. He played in 3 for Mayfield before transferring. So he definitely has big game experience. Crider is a load at RB, and a force on the other side of the ball. I would like to know what Pulaski returned from last season if somebody could fill me in. Hopefully this will be a great game. I think Graves will be as physical as any team Pulaski has faced this year. Can't wait to see what happens![/quote']

Why did he transfer?

Why did he transfer?

Long story involving family issues, nothing that needs airing out here, sorry

The QB transfer was a WR and DB at Mayfield so he is a solid athlete and would have been the MF #3 receiver and a starting DB. He was a backup QB at Mayfield

At GRaves he started as a WR and moved to QB after the Mayfield loss. A lot of speculation that he would have moved sooner but there was some concern that he might be at risk at QB against Mayfield but some of the kids that didn't like him transferring. He has been a major upgrade at QB for the Eagles but their primary weapon is Cody Crider, a outstand RB who reminds me of a John Riggins from back in the day. They also have a outstanding WR in Joey Marshall

They have a D-1 lineman in Wiggins who is headed for WKY

They prefer to run and are very physical but have opened up the pass with the new QB more

Their defense is very physical, maybe the best defenses Mayfield played this year

I have Graves as a slight underdog here

Pulaski Co only lost 8 seniors from last years runner up team. All skill positions and the major defensive players this year also started or played significant minutes last year. Both losses this year were when Riley Hall was out with an injury.

I'm guessing that Hall is QB. That's a game changer when QB is out. How physical are the linebackers and secondary? That is where Crider can do some damage on his runs.

Commander, he was a starter. He would have been a really good player for us this year. He probably brings a little more swagger to an already hard nosed team.

Long story involving family issues, nothing that needs airing out here, sorry

The QB transfer was a WR and DB at Mayfield so he is a solid athlete and would have been the MF #3 receiver and a starting DB. He was a backup QB at Mayfield

At GRaves he started as a WR and moved to QB after the Mayfield loss. A lot of speculation that he would have moved sooner but there was some concern that he might be at risk at QB against Mayfield but some of the kids that didn't like him transferring. He has been a major upgrade at QB for the Eagles but their primary weapon is Cody Crider, a outstand RB who reminds me of a John Riggins from back in the day. They also have a outstanding WR in Joey Marshall

They have a D-1 lineman in Wiggins who is headed for WKY

They prefer to run and are very physical but have opened up the pass with the new QB more

Their defense is very physical, maybe the best defenses Mayfield played this year

I have Graves as a slight underdog here

No. not the best D Mayfield played this year. Mayfield shut them out 21-0. Mayfield was the best D that Graves faced all year clearly.

Russelville at Russelville was the best D Mayfield faced all year. Then Murray at Murray IMO.

I'm guessing that Hall is QB. That's a game changer when QB is out. How physical are the linebackers and secondary? That is where Crider can do some damage on his runs.

Commander, he was a starter. He would have been a really good player for us this year. He probably brings a little more swagger to an already hard nosed team.

Oh well, Things worked out pretty well for Mayfield.

Before I heard that Reed had transferred, I actually figured he would be the QB for Mayfield. He was Guhy's backup for a couple of years and when he came in to play, he typically made things happen, mostly with his running ability. But, even if he didn't get the QB job, he would have been a great WR and DB, so, he was a pretty substantial loss, at least going into the season. Others stepped up and Mayfield came out fine and he's been a big part of Graves success this year, so, it worked out well for all involved.

If Graves County plays anywhere close to the game they played against Bowling Green, Pulaski County will be in trouble. Both teams have very good defenses, but Graves County hits harder than any team I've seen in years and I've seen some good ones. Riley Hall is a very good QB, but I think Graves County has more speed and should be able to contain him. Graves County 14-7 in an old fashioned slobber knocker.