Police Officers murdered in Georgia and Pennsylvania this week

halfback20

The one in Pennsylvania reminds me of the shooting that happened in Bardstown just over a year ago. Apparently two Troopers were ambushed leaving their barracks. One died, one survived. Killer is still unknown as far as I know. Here's a link.

State Police Trooper Dead In Barracks Shooting « CBS Philly

Then in Georgia, two deputies were shot while responding to reports of a suicidal man. I believe one of them has passed away as well. Not sure on the condition of the other. Suspect is in custody.

Update: Coroner Confirms Deputy Micheal Norris Brain Dead - Middle Georgia News & Weather Macon | WGXA-TV | FOX24 / ABC16

Sounds like a guy shot at police in Richmond recently as well, after leading them on a chase from Lexington where he had just assaulted another Lexington police officer. Thankfully none of the police were killed or injured as far as I know.

Lexington robbery ends in chase, suspect's death in Richmond

It's been a violent week, and a violent year for police.

84 police officers have died this year while on duty. 36 have been killed by gunfire, which is a 64% increase.

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: Preliminary 2014 Fatality Statistics

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read about the one in Pennsylvania. Definitely one that was shocking and shows how dangerous things are. Did they ever find anything out about it? From the sounds of what I read, it sounded much more like a professional job than some random act of violence.

Nothing that I'm aware of. Again, seems somewhat similar to the murder of Officer Jason Ellis in Kentucky last year. He was ambushed on the side of the road and killed. Police have never developed a suspect, as far as I know, in that case and it's been over a year.

Nothing that I'm aware of. Again, seems somewhat similar to the murder of Officer Jason Ellis in Kentucky last year. He was ambushed on the side of the road and killed. Police have never developed a suspect, as far as I know, in that case and it's been over a year.

Gotcha. When I'd read about it they said that they had gotten lots of help from other agencies but that the area around the barracks was really wooded. It'd be hard for me to imagine that some disorganized nut job would be able to do that so close to the barracks and escape the area unnoticed, that's why I was thinking it was probably some kind of contract kill or pro job (sadly you hear about those types of things happening more often here in Texas).

This was just posted in the San Antonio News-Express. No killer in the Pennsylvania slayings but they have a person of interest who they've interviewed and a non-profit organization in the State has stepped up and offered a $50,000 reward to anyone who can provide information.

Police: Trooper hurt in ambush conscious, talking - San Antonio Express-News

The reason is, not many care when a police officer is killed in the LOD. A thousand officers can be murdered and it's "what they signed up for". An officer draws his weapon on a unknown trouble call and the public says "if he's that scared, he should find another line of work."

When I read people's comments saying that, I literally question society. It's mor acceptable for an officer to get killed than for an officer to draw their weapon on any kind of domestic or combative suspect. Makes me sick

The reason is, not many care when a police officer is killed in the LOD. A thousand officers can be murdered and it's "what they signed up for". An officer draws his weapon on a unknown trouble call and the public says "if he's that scared, he should find another line of work."

When I read people's comments saying that, I literally question society. It's mor acceptable for an officer to get killed than for an officer to draw their weapon on any kind of domestic or combative suspect. Makes me sick

These killings are awful and I do think the vast majority of people do care. It is never acceptable for any innocent victim to be killed whether in the line of duty or not.

These killings are awful and I do think the vast majority of people do care. It is never acceptable for any innocent victim to be killed whether in the line of duty or not.

I don't think it's a vast majority. Some care, some are glad, majority is typically indifferent. "A cop got killed, that's crazy...what movie you want to watch?"

We were in Richmond Saturday night. This happened right about the time we were leaving the EKU game. I'm glad my son wanted to go eat at Applebee's instead of Logan's or Hooters. Otherwise we'd have been right in the middle of it. Witnesses said over 50 shots were fired. It was right on the the bypass with lots of people around, it could have been really bad.

I don't think it's a vast majority. Some care, some are glad, majority is typically indifferent. "A cop got killed, that's crazy...what movie you want to watch?"

I'll agree with this.

Save someone who is gone beyond the point of return (which could mean a number of things, but I think people can get what I'm saying, ex., someone on death row who is more dangerous to the people that have to feed them and all that), then I'm not a fan of seeing anyone killed, especially not a police officer. I know that personally, I wouldn't want their job.

I feel like lots of times, people think attorneys hate police officers, but there's a generous handful of them that I know personally and really respect and admire (and that's not saying that there are tons that I disrespect or anything like that, just that, like anyone else, there are some of them that I really like and some that I'd take or leave). I'd imagine that the same is true for lots of people in the profession.

I think a majority of people might be indifferent like you mention because there are so many causes and distractions that people see all the time that people start becoming numb to them on the whole.