St. Henry Boys

at SHDHS they will not cut a true Freshman to make room for a middle school-er. And like I said before, at least in soccer, at St. Henry a 8th grader would only play on the freshman team.

KHSAA rules do not not allow 8th graders to play JV if there is a Junior on the pitch... for either team.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does that rule read? I have always heard it was a rule and I tried to find it yesterday but I couldn't. I assume I just overlooked it.

KHSAA rules do not not allow 8th graders to play JV if there is a Junior on the pitch... for either team.

Interesting, so said student could play FROSH or JV at SHDHS as an 8th grader at St. Paul, and then go to CovCath and be free to play at whatever level his ability would place him. Thanks Glyde.

Did said 8th grader try out last night? Of course in a random hypothetical kind of way. :)

How does that rule read? I have always heard it was a rule and I tried to find it yesterday but I couldn't. I assume I just overlooked it.

BL-4-13

Students in grades 7 and 8 may not participate in any activity designated by either team as “varsity (first team)” in football or soccer. These 7th and 8th grade students may not wear the game uniform (in whole or part), or be involved in pre-game activities or any other contest related activity prior to, during or after a varsity scrimmage or contest in the sports of football or soccer. These 7th and 8th grade students may not participate (practice, scrimmage or play) on non-varsity (freshman, junior varsity, etc.) level teams in football or soccer if any member of the team they are representing or the team they are competing against is enrolled in any grade above grade ten (10). It is the obligation of the school desiring to allow the seventh or eighth grade student to participate with the non-varsity team to ensure compliance with this provision. Students below grade seven (7) may not participate (practice, scrimmage or play) on any high school level team (freshman, JV, varsity) in football or soccer.

Glyde, thanks for posting BL-4-13.

What I find perplexing is that 8th graders that cannot play against Juniors this year will be able to play against Seniors when they are Freshman next year... I think these are the same kids and the age gap would still be the same.

Isn't there a rule about 19 year olds?

KHSAA BL 2

Sec. 1) AGE RESTRICTION

a) Pursuant to KRS 156.070 (2) (e), a student who becomes

nineteen (19) years old before August 1 shall be ineligible for

interscholastic athletic competition.

b) A student who becomes nineteen (19) on or after August 1 shall

remain eligible for the entire school year.

Thx Glyde......but is there a rule about a 19 year old competing against a younger player.....

I do not believe they look at age, only the grade they are in. I think this only applies in Football, and Soccer, where an 8th grader cannot play in a JV contest if a Junior is on the field.