Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shocked about so much crow hopping in 9th Region

Featured Replies

Recently saw three of stronger 9th region pitchers. Shocked that all three consistently crow hopped. Even more disturbed that the JV pitchers are doing the same. What an injustice by the coaches allowing this illegal action and then encouraging it by allowing the younger players to mimic the veterans. Where are the 9th Region umpires? And what are they watching? This will not be tolerated outside the region and will be hard for the pitchers to suddenly break bad habits and adjust to pitching legally. For us old baseball guys, crow hopping is as illegal as a doctored ball is in baseball. Can't imagine a high school baseball coach teaching his pitchers the spitball.

Happens a lot...doesn't get called.

What is crow hopping?

  • Author
What is crow hopping?

Pitcher launches both feet in the air, re-establishes contact with the ground and then releases the ball. Some shorten the distance to home by 2 to 3 feet. Imagine Aroldis Chapman pitching from 3 feet in front of the rubber.

You brought it up name the schools. I see a lot of of pitchers outside the 9th region crow hoping or pitching illegal. Mention it to not just 9th region umps but others as well and they say they do not see it or that the hole is deep in front of the rubber that it appears they are hopping. I just saw a game tonight were the pitcher crow hops a lot and it did not get called once. This pitcher comes off of the ground about 5 inches with both feet once she pushes off.

  • Author

Disappointed to hear it is being done widely. All about getting the competitive edge, even if it is illegal! Come on coaches, set the right example.

Not sure which three pitchers you are referring too, but the strongest pitchers in the ninth do no crow hop. Including Knotts/Boone, Smith/ND, Sims/Conner, Crupper/ Ryle, and in no particular order.

Not sure which three pitchers you are referring too, but the strongest pitchers in the ninth do no crow hop. Including Knotts/Boone, Smith/ND, Sims/Conner, Crupper/ Ryle, and in no particular order.

 

I would add Hoeh/Newport, Kremer/St Henry and Spencer/HHS as the next group and I don't think they do it either. So I'm not sure who is doing it. But I won't say you haven't seen it. I would also say that I agree with Boone89 that sometimes it may appear they are crow hopping because the holes by the mounds can get so deep that when they push off the rubber, their foot may lose contact of the dirt, but that's about all I got from all those 7 pitchers in the 9th.

Video shows the difference between the crow hop and the drag.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMSa3CEkhqw

 

Well that seems easy enough to determine...so my question is are these girls actually "Crow Hopping" or are they making a legal pitch like in the video?

Well that seems easy enough to determine...so my question is are these girls actually "Crow Hopping" or are they making a legal pitch like in the video?

 

The issue comes in that many people don't realize if their is a large hole there the pitchers foot is allowed to break contact with the ground going over the hole.

The Most Misunderstood Action in the game….

 

If a pitcher is off the ground 5 inches, then she's got some hops and that's way too easy to call, so I'm suspicious of that.

 

Lots of pitchers rotate on the rubber from the center of the foot to the back edge of the heel, then the drag. If the hole in front of the rubber prevents the pitcher from maintaining contact with the ground, it is not an illegal pitch. Opposing coaches (and fans for that matter) want to point out an illegal pitch (crow hop or leap) without knowing what it really is, they use it in an attempt to gain an advantage. I saw it this weekend when a coach and fan questioned a pitcher delivery, and guess what, it got in the pitchers head.

 

Most arguments about these types of illegal pitches involve the pitcher releasing the ball when her foot is not in contact with the ground / rubber and that is because of the hole. It is impossible to fix the hole in front of the rubber once the game has started, it's just dust and won't pack or stay in the hole. That's the reason for the "simulation" interpretation of the contact rule.

 

It is the base umpire responsibility to get the crow hop or leap and the home plate umpires responsibility to get the hands part of an illegal pitch. Other than the first or third base coach, it is difficult for anyone to see the crow hop or leap unless it is an exaggerated violation.

Pitcher launches both feet in the air, re-establishes contact with the ground and then releases the ball. Some shorten the distance to home by 2 to 3 feet. Imagine Aroldis Chapman pitching from 3 feet in front of the rubber.

 

Still would like to know which three pitchers. I have been to several 9th region games and I have seen a lot of pitchers. None of which I can remember saying a girl is crow hoping

The Most Misunderstood Action in the game….

 

If a pitcher is off the ground 5 inches, then she's got some hops and that's way too easy to call, so I'm suspicious of that.

 

Lots of pitchers rotate on the rubber from the center of the foot to the back edge of the heel, then the drag. If the hole in front of the rubber prevents the pitcher from maintaining contact with the ground, it is not an illegal pitch. Opposing coaches (and fans for that matter) want to point out an illegal pitch (crow hop or leap) without knowing what it really is, they use it in an attempt to gain an advantage. I saw it this weekend when a coach and fan questioned a pitcher delivery, and guess what, it got in the pitchers head.

 

Most arguments about these types of illegal pitches involve the pitcher releasing the ball when her foot is not in contact with the ground / rubber and that is because of the hole. It is impossible to fix the hole in front of the rubber once the game has started, it's just dust and won't pack or stay in the hole. That's the reason for the "simulation" interpretation of the contact rule.

 

It is the base umpire responsibility to get the crow hop or leap and the home plate umpires responsibility to get the hands part of an illegal pitch. Other than the first or third base coach, it is difficult for anyone to see the crow hop or leap unless it is an exaggerated violation.

 

I mean this was the most perfect response ever in the history of BGP. Coaches mention it to try to get an advantage and basically to mess with the pitchers carma and psyche.

Still would like to know which three pitchers. I have been to several 9th region games and I have seen a lot of pitchers. None of which I can remember saying a girl is crow hoping

 

 

I would agree. Usually starts being discussed by the losing coach down 4 or 5 runs.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.