School bans 9-year-old boy's My Little Pony backpack

theguru

So to answer my question, yes, you only consider bullying physical.

Not totally, but I am fairly cold hearted.. Not sure how out of control the verbal abuse was. Some kids are softer than others, some are meaner than others and some moms need to cut the umbilical cord eventually.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to answer my question, yes, you only consider bullying physical.

Not sure where you got that from his post. He does say "make fun of...tell him he was stupid". Those of course aren't physical...not that they don't hurt any less to a 9 yo of course.

And I think we all know bullying comes in many forms. I know first hand. I was the big kid with the gentle soul growing up who wouldn't fight back and take up for himself. When the bullies found that out, they couldn't wait to pick on me, up through jr. high. Subsided in high school, I guess the bullies didn't want to take the chance if I did decide to go off on them I might just snap their neck, but I really didn't develop the "attitude" I needed as part of my personality until I was in the military. I really wish I had acquired it a lot sooner.

Not sure where you got that from his post. He does say "make fun of...tell him he was stupid". Those of course aren't physical...not that they don't hurt any less to a 9 yo of course.

The whole "I do not consider that to be bullied" line was kind of a dead give away...:idunno:

Not totally, but I am fairly cold hearted.. Not sure how out of control the verbal abuse was. Some kids are softer than others, some are meaner than others and some moms need to cut the umbilical cord eventually.

So if every single day for his entire school career your son was called "worthless" and ridiculed constantly, but never physically touched, you'd simply say he needs to not be so "soft"? You wouldn't consider that bullying?

My son collected Yu-Gi-oh cards and Pokémon cards. Had a nice collection. He entered 4th grade and when he came home the first day of school that was the end of his collection. My guess is he got to school, found out it wasn't considered cool anymore and got rid of them to fit in. Was he bullied? Did the kids he wanted to hang out with tell him he was stupid or make fun of him for collecting them? My guess is yes. Should i have gone to the school and complain that the other kids should have accepted that he collected them? I do not consider that to be bullied. He had his choice to keep collecting or not. We all make choices, deal with the consequences.

:thumb:

So if every single day for his entire school career your son was called "worthless" and ridiculed constantly, but never physically touched, you'd simply say he needs to not be so "soft"? You wouldn't consider that bullying?

I think he would take off the back pack????

I think he would take off the back pack????

Who said anything about a backpack?

You said if it's not physical you don't consider it bullying. If your son, through no fault of his own, was constantly called "worthless" and ridiculed every single day, you'd tell him to not be so "soft"? That's not bullying to you?

Who said anything about a backpack?

You said if it's not physical you don't consider it bullying. If your son, through no fault of his own, was constantly called "worthless" and ridiculed every single day, you'd tell him to not be so "soft"? That's not bullying to you?

We don't often agree on anything...but I'm with you on this. Bullying DOES NOT have to be physical. In fact the worst bullying is from verbal jabs and not fist jabs. Look at all of the teen suicides in the country that have came from verbal and social media bullying...you rarely if ever hear of kids taking their own lives because of physical bullying.

But what if it's about his clothes, his hair color, his complexion, his height, his weight, his teeth, his eyeglasses, his parents, his sister, his house, etc.? The list can go on and on.

Some things you can change or have control over...others not so much.

So the lesson to be taught is if someone makes fun of you for something, change it? How does anyone ever stand for anything with that mindset?

Yep, sometimes that IS the answer, no matter how hard you don't want it to be.

I got a sweat shirt to wear beginning of school in the 7th grade. First cool day that fall, couldn't wait to pull it out and wear it. Had a cool saying on the front of it too. "I'm a Perfect 10". Took me EXACTLY 1 day to learn...Danny, DO NOT wear that sweat shirt to school again. Even though the sweat shirt was 100% accurate:thumb:...lesson learned. Sometimes things can be headed off at the pass, and it's just better to do it that way.