School bans 9-year-old boy's My Little Pony backpack

theguru

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what some of you are saying, but I'm shocked people are blaming the kid and his mother.

To me, that's the same as saying that a girl going to a party wearing a short skirt, if she gets sexually assaulted, we should blame her or her parents because she was asking for it with the way she was dressed.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two part solution. The school punishes the bullies who picked on him, keep them after school for a week beating erasers or whatever it is they do with young kids now. Mom goes out and gets him a GI Joe backpack. Problem solved.

The kid is doing nothing wrong. Why should he not be allowed to have whatever backpack he wants?

The kid is doing nothing wrong. Why should he not be allowed to have whatever backpack he wants?

Should the other kids have the freedom of speech to make fun of him for being a Bronie? Is it bullying if they are not beating him? To your short skirt comment, if she is wearing it and only gets 'cat calls' is that OK?

Should the other kids have the freedom of speech to make fun of him for being a Bronie? Is it bullying if they are not beating him? To your short skirt comment, if she is wearing it and only gets 'cat calls' is that OK?

Am I getting this straight...you're saying the bullies' comments fall under freedom of speech?

Yes it's bullying. Name-calling has never been allowed in schools.

Are you trying to say that bullying is only physical in nature?

I'm with hoops on this part of it. Mom should make the decision here to not get him that as it's gonna set him up for this sort of thing. Doesn't excuse the bullying, and in my post I stated they should be punished. But mom has to think things through a little more clearly too.

I'm with hoops on this part of it. Mom should make the decision here to not get him that as it's gonna set him up for this sort of thing. Doesn't excuse the bullying, and in my post I stated they should be punished. But mom has to think things through a little more clearly too.

Why is it setting him up for anything? If her son is into My Little Pony, which he obviously is, he should be allowed to have the backpack, and I would hope his parents would not only support that choice, but stand up for him in this instance as well.

What is the mom supposed to say to her son who wants the My Little Pony backpack? No, son - you'll look gay?!

:thumb: Exactly.

By some of the responses in here, I'm thinking quite a few posters would be the ones doing the bullying if they were kids in his school.

I'm sorry folks, I find it a little disturbing that some people here are saying that, basically, a 3rd grader shouldn't be allowed to have a backpack with his favorite cartoon character on it. And that, in the end, it's either his fault or his mom's for any grief that he gets. Unreal.

So let's excuse the behavior because it's bound to happen if a boy has a backpack like that?

Again my example: A scantly clad girl is sexually assaulted..."The sexual assault was bound to happen with a girl dressed that way. She shouldn't have set herself up for that. Her parents shouldn't have let it go that far."

See how ridiculous that sounds?

What is the mom supposed to say to her son who wants the My Little Pony backpack? No, son - you'll look gay?!

So, you're 9 yo son is out shopping with you and see's a pink skirt...he just loves it and wants you to buy it so he can wear it to school. And you say...?