Boyle County - Steve Adams

This has been festering for a while now and now that the season is over I need to get it off of my chest.

I am a huge Boyle County fan, parent, supporter. There isn't a person at Boyle County that I don't like. I like the entire administration, teachers, coaches, parents and all of the kids. I thoroughly enjoy being a part of Boyle County. The atmosphere of the school and the desire and focus to be a school of excellence truly reminds me of when I was a student at Bowling Green High School where excelling in everything was the focus of the entire school. I feel that at Boyle County.

I say this because there is no person at Boyle County that I love and respect more than current basketball coach Steve Adams. Coach Adams has been everything I want in a coach for my kids. My kids only play basketball and while I interact with coaches for different sports at Boyle County I interact with Coach Adams more than anyone else so when it comes to loyalty inside of the school Coach Adams is at the top of that list.

It's been brought to my attention that now that Chuck Smith has returned to Boyle County that next year he will be taking on Coach Adams' current schedule and Coach Adams will be taking on a brand new heavier schedule. It was also brought to my attention that Coach Adams' schedule wasn't supposed to be changed to accomodate the returning football coach and not only that, a fellow teacher made him aware of his new heavier schedule next year and not the administration. This was also made news to him on the day of 45th District Final approximately 5 hours before tipoff. I know for a fact that Coach Adams has sacrificed for the school system and taken on a heavier workload in the past when teachers have retired so they wouldn't have to hire teachers. Why the administration would treat him like this is beyond me. Is there not some way to accomodate both Chuck Smith and Steve Adams? Why does Steve Adams have to "take one for the team" and Chuck Smith doesn't? Well, I know the answer why. This is me saying I completely and totally do not agree with how Steve Adams is being treated. It's like they don't care about anything he has done for the basketball program at Boyle County. He has been there 6 years now. He has 3 district titles, 4 trips to the region tournament, 3 region semifinalists and a region finalist on his 6 year Boyle County resume. Why would any administration treat a successful coach the way they are seeming to treat him? Maybe my loyalty to Coach Adams and the basketball program is clouding my vision but I can't understand for the life of me why the administration wouldn't actively seek a way to make Chuck Smith and Steve Adams happy. It can be done if they try and I hope they try before it is too late. When coaches aren't happy they leave and as a parent of kids who have played for him and who will be playing for him I hope the administration does all that they can do to accomodate Steve and Chuck before we lose Steve. I could care less if Chuck is there if Steve is gone. My kid doesn't play football so Chuck Smith returning means little to me. Losing Steve Adams would be a devastating loss to a program that is constantly improving each year. I hope the administration looks out for all of the student-athletes and not just the ones that play football. If it ain't broke.......

I had to get this off my chest. It's been on my mind for two weeks now and I didn't want to be a distraction during the season. The season is over now so I will do all I can one way or another to keep Coach Adams at Boyle County.

And yes, the entire administration and Board of Education knows exactly how I feel about this situation as well. I have already emailed them my thoughts.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is this. Why would the Football schedule have anything to do with the Basketball schedule?

Also, I may not be the know it all with high school sports and this entire Chuck Smith thing has really run it's course with me. I know there are some on here that thinks the man walks on water but without even talking to the guy it seems as if he has an ego that is bigger than the entire state.

I agree with you PP92, why do things to possibly run off an already very succesful Basketball coach just to make a Football coach happy who is just returning to the school? Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I am missing something,but I say screw Chuck Smith and quit screwing with the Basketball team and their very succesful coach.

My question is this. Why would the Football schedule have anything to do with the Basketball schedule?

Also, I may not be the know it all with high school sports and this entire Chuck Smith thing has really run it's course with me. I know there are some on here that thinks the man walks on water but without even talking to the guy it seems as if he has an ego that is bigger than the entire state.

I agree with you PP92, why do things to possibly run off an already very succesful Basketball coach just to make a Football coach happy who is just returning to the school? Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I am missing something,but I say screw Chuck Smith and quit screwing with the Basketball team and their very succesful coach.

It's the teaching schedule. Right now Coach Adams has 3 Drivers Ed classes, a PE class and a 3 Prep Periods. Next year he'll have 1 Drivers Ed class, 2 PE classes, 2 Wellness classes and 2 Team Sports classes, no prep periods. Chuck Smith will have 2 Drivers Ed classes, a PE class and 3 or 4 prep periods. It isn't even or fair at all and it is pushing Coach Adams away.

It's the teaching schedule. Right now Coach Adams has 3 Drivers Ed classes, a PE class and a 3 Prep Periods. Next year he'll have 1 Drivers Ed class, 2 PE classes, 2 Wellness classes and 2 Team Sports classes, no prep periods. Chuck Smith will have 2 Drivers Ed classes, a PE class and 3 or 4 prep periods. It isn't even or fair at all and it is pushing Coach Adams away.

That is a shame. Why do that for coach Smith when in all reality he will probably be gone in 5 years.

Because at this point it should be called Chuck Smith High School instead of Boyle County High School.

Really sad. I don't know the guy but I am already not a Chuck smith fan. I know that some on here though would wash his feet if they could.

It's one thing to be a good coach, but a total different one to act like some sort of diva and that is exactly how Chuck Smith has handled everything I've read about him the last couple years.

I only know Coach Adams from the games I've watched Boyle County play since he's been there and he's obviously an excellent coach. I'm not a huge football fan, but am proud when our school does well as they did this year.

The problem you run into is that high school coaches that are really into their profession and are teachers (some aren't so what I say hereafter doesn't apply to them) generally prefer and like to have class assignments that make doing their job less difficult. Some will say, "Well, they're teachers first & coaches second," to which I say that at 95% of the schools coaches are hired & fired based on their won-loss record and level of success, not what great teachers they are. When that changes, THEN and then only come back with that argument.

So, when you have a situation where when several sports are highly valued by the school's community of supporters, it can become almost impossible for the principal to come up with enough classes of a type that allows all the coaches to have enough time off to be working on what actually matters most to the community's supporters (and thus the school board & superintendent by proxy).

It appears at least part of what is going on at Boyle is a tug-of-war between which of their programs is to receive the most favored status (via their coaches and their work schedules).

For Boyle County High and their supporters' sakes, hopefully the administration can figure out how to possibly satisfy all fractions, but I know it isn't easy. Best of luck.

I only know Coach Adams from the games I've watched Boyle County play since he's been there and he's obviously an excellent coach. I'm not a huge football fan, but am proud when our school does well as they did this year.

The problem you run into is that high school coaches that are really into their profession and are teachers (some aren't so what I say hereafter doesn't apply to them) generally prefer and like to have class assignments that make doing their job less difficult. Some will say, "Well, they're teachers first & coaches second," to which I say that at 95% of the schools coaches are hired & fired based on their won-loss record and level of success, not what great teachers they are. When that changes, THEN and then only come back with that argument.

So, when you have a situation where when several sports are highly valued by the school's community of supporters, it can become almost impossible for the principal to come up with enough classes of a type that allows all the coaches to have enough time off to be working on what actually matters most to the community's supporters (and thus the school board & superintendent by proxy).

It appears at least part of what is going on at Boyle is a tug-of-war between which of their programs is to receive the most favored status (via their coaches and their work schedules).

For Boyle County High and their supporters' sakes, hopefully the administration can figure out how to possibly satisfy all fractions, but I know it isn't easy. Best of luck.

Not only that, I think if Steve does leave I think it will be harder to get a quality coach into Boyle County given that it is obvious that what Chuck wants Chuck gets no matter who it hurts. Why would any coach want to be a part of that? They would have to know exactly what they are walking into.

Not only that, I think if Steve does leave I think it will be harder to get a quality coach into Boyle County given that it is obvious that what Chuck wants Chuck gets no matter who it hurts. Why would any coach want to be a part of that? They would have to know exactly what they are walking into.

Mike Pittman did very well at Boyle County when Smith was there the first time, including winning regional titles twice. Andy Moberly, a Boyle alum, was there for the end of Smith's tenure and wasn't as successful, leaving after just three years, I believe. So it would appear that basketball and football can co-exist at Boyle and I can't think of anyone better to have at the helm than Steve Adams.

Mike Pittman did very well at Boyle County when Smith was there the first time, including winning regional titles twice. Andy Moberly, a Boyle alum, was there for the end of Smith's tenure and wasn't as successful, leaving after just three years, I believe. So it would appear that basketball and football can co-exist at Boyle and I can't think of anyone better to have at the helm than Steve Adams.

Basketball and football have been co-existing. I'm confused as to why it can't continue to. It appears that we are heading in the wrong direction and changing course instead of just keeping the ship steered in the same direction.

Purplepride92 may have a tough decision to make if Steve does make a move out of the school district.

I would be really surprised if everything you have heard is exactly that way. Even if it is true, why would you blame Chuck Smith for what the administration does in scheduling? There are many cases of teaching assignments changing during a coaches tenure at other schools, not just Boyle

Co. For the people out there like Hellbird that says that he already doesn't like Chuck, I would say he doesn't know him or is concerned when the team he supports has to play Boyle in the future.

Purplepride92 may have a tough decision to make if Steve does make a move out of the school district.

Naw. While we are looking to move into a bigger house we have no intentions of leaving the Boyle County school district. Losing Steve would be a tough pill to swallow and I'd support him wherever he ends up at. I'd be highly disappointed in Boyle County but we'd still be here trying to make the best of a situation we wouldn't like.