State Wrestling (Region 6)

Just Jim

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dixie has had 3 #2 finishes. I can tell you all winners for all classes back to '64.

You may be right but it might be worth re-checking. He was up in the trophy case for years and I was pretty sure he was listed as a state champ. It was around the 84-85 time frame.

This was my first year in attendance at the state finals. The CovCath Coaching staff wanted all the wrestlers in attendance for the finals to see what its like to be on the podium. CovCath's lone wrestler "Big Joe" Marino fought hard but went down Friday. Dave Johnson is thinking BIG at CCH but he does it all with such class. Really respecting all the wrestlers and staffs from NKY and around the state. Not just a technical coach or a "hard work" coach, he is a program builder. Really cool this thing got off the ground this year. Dave Johnson with his energy alone can WILL a team to the top.

A few things about the venue. I really like the Alltech arena at the Kentucky Horse Park. Nice, open, big, etc. Perhaps they could have a live video screen as sometimes its hard to see the wrestlers in action. Still, they seem to support the event.

Union County--I didn't know they grew 'em so "Bad" down there. Lord. They are tough. Big time cheering section. Found out a lot about the "Ervin" name. Powerhouse.

Closer to home--Campbell County. Much respect. Sorry they couldn't quite get it done team-wise but....... as I live in the county but have no real affiliation with the school, was really impressed on how they go about there business. Nice job Camels.

Happy to see representatives from Ryle, SK, Boone, CC, Dixie, Conner and Newport. Way to represent!

Great event. enjoyed it.

OK, it's fess-up time: On Friday, I was walking around the upper arena and somebody with Ryle gear on was eyeballing my orange BGP shirt. Had to have been somebody on here.

Maybe he wanted a shot at the BGP title?

One of my best friends won it 4 times. Came in 2nd as an 8th grader.

I don't know a whole lot about the history of KY wrestling. I do know there have been a few 4x champs, which is still unbelievable accomplishment to me. The sport has really grown recently, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more 4x champs in the coming years as kids are getting better quicker and there a many more opportunities at the youth level to improve. The state has been way behind the curve on wrestling (probably because it's during basketball season), but that is rapidly changing.