Southwestern Job

GCHS

I agree with about 98% of your post. However, what automatically puts Ray Graham at the #2 spot? Any decent coach can stay at the same school for 20+ years and collect a lot of wins off a friendly schedule. I'm personally not too familiar with his accomplishments at Harrison County. What kind of playoff career did he have there? I just know he got a decent start at LCA and has declined every year since. Wasn't too impressive there at all.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with about 98% of your post. However, what automatically puts Ray Graham at the #2 spot? Any decent coach can stay at the same school for 20+ years and collect a lot of wins off a friendly schedule. I'm personally not too familiar with his accomplishments at Harrison County. What kind of playoff career did he have there? I just know he got a decent start at LCA and has declined every year since. Wasn't too impressive there at all.

This was in reply to the initial GCHS post. Sorry about that, new to BGP.

Welcome to BGP Wildcat 18

I think the thinking is that if the final 3 are French, Engle and Graham that French is pretty easy #1 and Graham based on the fact that he has been a successful HC at the HS level gives him a nod, over DE. I won't be shocked if DE gets the job and think he would do a much better job than the last coach did. I think SW would be heading in the right direction with any of those three but French is head and shoulders above the others.

Welcome to BGP Wildcat 18

I think the thinking is that if the final 3 are French, Engle and Graham that French is pretty easy #1 and Graham based on the fact that he has been a successful HC at the HS level gives him a nod, over DE. I won't be shocked if DE gets the job and think he would do a much better job than the last coach did. I think SW would be heading in the right direction with any of those three but French is head and shoulders above the others.

Thanks.

Just my opinion, I don't think DE is the middle school coach in the discussion. His success has not translated at all to the high school.

As far as Graham goes, how is success defined with him? A lot of wins? To others, success is defined by playoff history. I've seen a lot of teams go undefeated in the regular season and lose in the first round, primarily because of weak scheduling. That looks good on paper, but doesn't help you achieve your main goal of a state championship. I can't find anything that gives his playoff history at his previous schools. I'd like to know if anyone could find that info.

Edited by PurplePride92

Any decent coach can stay at the same school for 20+ years and collect a lot of wins off a friendly schedule.

I admit I am biased...Ray is a good friend and I have been at Mason for 19 years. :laugh:

But, I strongly disagree with your statement. I heard Coach Roy Walton(legendary Tates Creek coach) say at a clinic in 1993, most coaches can go in to a job and show improvement in 2-3 years. He said, what is your program like in 5 years, 10, 15, etc.?

After the initial excitement and newness wears off, at most places, it gets tough to keep things rolling and improving.

We can agree to disagree. Welcome to BGPREPS ! :thumb:

Thanks.

Just my opinion, I don't think DE is the middle school coach in the discussion. His success has not translated at all to the high school.

As far as Graham goes, how is success defined with him? A lot of wins? To others, success is defined by playoff history. I've seen a lot of teams go undefeated in the regular season and lose in the first round, primarily because of weak scheduling. That looks good on paper, but doesn't help you achieve your main goal of a state championship. I can't find anything that gives his playoff history at his previous schools. I'd like to know if anyone could find that info.

You thinking the Northern HC is the MS coach in the running? Who is that now?

I admit I am biased...Ray is a good friend and I have been at Mason for 19 years. :laugh:

But, I strongly disagree with your statement. I heard Coach Roy Walton(legendary Tates Creek coach) say at a clinic in 1993, most coaches can go in to a job and show improvement in 2-3 years. He said, what is your program like in 5 years, 10, 15, etc.?

After the initial excitement and newness wears off, at most places, it gets tough to keep things rolling and improving.

We can agree to disagree. Welcome to BGPREPS ! :thumb:

That's understandable. Thank you. Are you able to list the records of his Harrison County career? When you think Kentucky high school football, you don't think of Harrison County. Maybe you can make me understand. I'm only familiar with his time at LCA. He's got experience and he can run a program. That's known. Is he capable of winning a KHSAA state championship? That's my question. SW has that much talent, believe it or not.

You thinking the Northern HC is the MS coach in the running? Who is that now?

Yes I do. Based on everything I've gathered personally, talking with people I feel are close to the situation. French is 1 (if they can reach a deal - it's really up to Boyle to decide his fate in all honesty) and it's Foley at 2. I would guess that it is now narrowed down to a top 2 or 3 with back-ups on standby.

That's understandable. Thank you. Are you able to list the records of his Harrison County career? When you think Kentucky high school football, you don't think of Harrison County. Maybe you can make me understand. I'm only familiar with his time at LCA. He's got experience and he can run a program. That's known. Is he capable of winning a KHSAA state championship? That's my question. SW has that much talent, believe it or not.

I don't have that data, but a couple things I do know is that some of his very good teams ran into NewCath and Highlands in the playoffs. Also, he had a lot of success at Rowan before going to Harrison.

There is no doubt that Ray Graham is a great coach and good enough to lead a program to the state championship. He has an incredible background. He played at Danville, Morehead, and was an assistant at Highlands. He has seen it all scheme wise. He knows fundamentals inside and out. And the best part is he is a great man of strong faith who loves kids.

My HS coach was Larry French. I put Coach French in the same category. Great men and coaches. Coach French was in my wedding and I grew up around him because my dad hired him at Mercer. When my Dad wasn't kicking my tail, it was Coach French doing it. :laugh:

If you get either of these guys, you hit a home run.

Site Base was supposed to meet Friday but due to weather, delayed. If what I'm told is true, announcement forthcoming as soon as that's done.

That's usually how it works. Have you talked directly with any of the four members of the hiring committee? My understanding is that they've had very tight lips throughout this entire process, as they should.

In other news...why would French be ok taking a step down from Boyle to go to SW? Is he taking heat from fans over there or something?

That's usually how it works. Have you talked directly with any of the four members of the hiring committee? My understanding is that they've had very tight lips throughout this entire process, as they should.

In other news...why would French be ok taking a step down from Boyle to go to SW? Is he taking heat from fans over there or something?

Nope. The fans at Boyle County love Larry French and always will. Sometimes people decide that other places are a better fit for whatever reason.