Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Which '13-'14 UK Player Will Eventually Be The Best NBA Player???

Who Eventually Becomes The "Best" NBA Player? 19 members have voted

  1. 1. Who Eventually Becomes The "Best" NBA Player?

    • Willie Cauley-Stein
      10%
    • Aaron Harrison
      0%
      0
    • Andrew Harrison
      5%
    • Dakari Johnson
      0%
      0
    • Marcus Lee
      0%
      0
    • Alex Poythress
      5%
    • Julius Randle
      63%
    • James Young
      15%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

So, since there's a thread going on which UK recruit will eventually be Coach Calipari's best NBA player, it only seems right to start a thread dedicated to the discussion of which '13-'14 UK player will be the best NBA player.

 

Some parameters for the discussion:

 

1. It doesn't have to be the guy who shines on the UK team this year. If you think Dakari Johnson comes back for his sophomore and junior year before dominating in the pros, then tell us why.

 

2. It doesn't have to be the guy who is in consideration for Rookie of the Year, or is successful right away. Maybe you think he's someone who gets drafted just outside of the lottery, goes to a fringe playoff team, and changes their fortunes. Maybe you think it's someone who goes in the top 3-5 picks and turns out to the cornerstone of the franchise that GMs and analysts expect him to be. Just tell us why.

  • Author

I'll go with somewhat of a dark-horse in this one and say that it will end up being Willie Cauley-Stein.

 

Offensively, the guy has came so far from this same point in time last year that it's kind of amazing.

 

Defensively, he has a lot of tools like wingspan, length, timing, agility, and overall athleticism that he's going to have a roster spot in the pros.

 

Because of this, there's a good chance that if/when he comes out this year (in a loaded draft) that some "smart" team will take a flyer on him and get a lot of value in their pick in taking him as a building block that is an essential part of a team that is ultimately successful down the road.

 

Agree or disagree? I can certainly see why someone might instead take Randle, Young, either Harrison, or Poythress. I just think Willie has the highest ceiling of all those guys (aside from James Young).

 

The difference that makes me more inclined to pick WCS over Young is that I think that, while Young's ceiling is certainly higher, it is more reasonable to expect that, all things considered, WCS has the capacity to make his maximizing his potential than Young.

 

Reasonable minds can differ, however, and that's the purpose of this board, so fire away with responses if you disagree.

I voted Young as well.

I voted Young as well.

 

I also vote for Young.

 

He's already a pretty good shooter, has great athleticism, and defends pretty well. As he continues to mature and becomes more aggressive with taking the ball to the basket, I think he could become a very good basketball player.

 

With saying that, I could see him being the third Wildcat drafted on this team. Randle and potentially WCS could go before him.

What NBA player does Young compare to? James Harden?

I haven't watch UK enough to give an informed answer so I'm going to say Dakari Johnson because that is who I want to see be the best one. I like his size and I'd like to see him get stronger and more complete.

  • Author

Admittedly, being in San Antonio means I don't get to see UK as much as the rest of you all, so be kind with this next question, BUT:

 

Is it just me or does it seem like part of UK's offense this year is letting Young shoot the triple and if he's hot and makes it great, but if not, letting our size, especially at the guard position on long rebounds, come in and do the work and clean up misses?

 

It's like they concede that he's likely going to miss, but other teams are in zone and are thus more likely to miss assignments blocking out, so we just let our guys who are bigger, stronger, and more athletic go to the glass hard and clean up after him by capitalizing on the defense being out of position and getting a put-back?

  • Author

Seriously, watching the Vandy game, I really thought hard about whether or not just letting Young chuck when teams are in zone (because, while I didn't count or do a scientific study on the %'s that we rebounded those shots, it seemed pretty dang high).

Admittedly' date=' being in San Antonio means I don't get to see UK as much as the rest of you all, so be kind with this next question, BUT: Is it just me or does it seem like part of UK's offense this year is letting Young shoot the triple and if he's hot and makes it great, but if not, letting our size, especially at the guard position on long rebounds, come in and do the work and clean up misses? It's like they concede that he's likely going to miss, but other teams are in zone and are thus more likely to miss assignments blocking out, so we just let our guys who are bigger, stronger, and more athletic go to the glass hard and clean up after him by capitalizing on the defense being out of position and getting a put-back?[/quote']

 

I read that he's given the green light because they know they he has the ability to make those shots. Also, Cal said that Young rarely takes a "bad" shot selection.

I think part of it is that the Wildcats are just settling for that outside look because they aren't getting anything better. But if you watch, both the Miss. St and Vandy games, they made some very good adjustments on the offensive end in the 2nd half and got the ball inside for better looks.

 

I think a big part of the Vandy game was that it was their first conference road game and actually first true road game of the year. They are learning how to play against the zone more and more. Knowing Cal, he probably hasn't worked on it as much yet because there were so many other things he needed to focus on during the first months of the season. I'm not too worried about it yet.

What NBA player does Young compare to? James Harden?

 

I don't watch a lot of NBA anymore but I think that could be a decent comparison in regards to their game. Young has a long way to go to be that good though. He probably comes to mind because they are both lefties.

 

GT could probably give you someone better.

  • Author
I don't watch a lot of NBA anymore but I think that could be a decent comparison in regards to their game. Young has a long way to go to be that good though. He probably comes to mind because they are both lefties.

 

GT could probably give you someone better.

 

Not GT, but how about Paul George at best, Trevor Ariza at worst?

Is Young really 6'7"? He never looks that big to me but it may just be that he is not all that bulky and not fully developed. I am seeing more of a Jamal Crawford type career for Young. Harden and Paul George are elite type players. I am not seeing that from Young.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.