Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Newport Catholic at Covington Catholic updates

Featured Replies

  • Author

Hope to have Ben Weyer's steal and dunk up shortly.

  • Replies 79
  • Views 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

Per Richard Skinner........http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20140110/SPT0302/301100134/

 

CovCath-NewCath showdown canceled for condensation

 

The battle between the Newport Central Catholic and Covington Catholic boys’ basketball teams on Friday to decide which is No. 1 was won instead by condensation.

 

The game was called at halftime due to heavy and persistent condensation on the floor at Covington Catholic High School that led to numerous players slipping throughout the first half.

 

A capacity crowd was already on hand by the time the junior varsity game started and caused CovCath officials to close the doors and not allow anyone else to come in the gym at 6:15 p.m. (15 minutes after the junior varsity game started and 75 minutes before the varsity game started). That big crowd combined with high humidity outside led to the condensation problems on the floor.

 

CovCath led 32-27 at the half and there is not a date scheduled yet to resume the game, although both head coaches - Newport Central Catholic’s Ron Dawn and Covington Catholic’s Scott Ruthsatz - say they want to finish it. The game will resume at the point it was suspended.

 

“We’re going to try to, but I just don’t know when, because they have a busy week this coming week and then we’re in the (All ‘A’ Classic for possibly the following two weeks),” said Dawn. “When I first walked out on the floor after the JV game I told (the officials), ‘I’m slipping right now.’ It’s a shame, but it’s hard to gauge something like that. It was the right thing to do.”

 

NewCath (11-3) entered the game ranked No. 1, while CovCath (11-0) was No. 3, but was coming off a win at No. 2 Holmes on Tuesday night.

 

“It’s all about the kids, and all we need is one of these kids to hurt themselves on Jan. 10, so it’s not worth it,” said Ruthsatz. “We’d like to finish it. There’s a lot of pride in both schools and I’m looking forward to it. It’s going to be a little challenging trying to schedule it and it will probably lose a little of its luster, but it’s worth finishing.”

 

CovCath built its halftime lead behind 12 points and five assists from senior guard Nick Ruthsatz and a stingy defense that held the significantly taller Thoroughbreds to just 40.0 percent shooting from the field. NewCath’s starting front line goes 6-8, 6-7, 6-6, but CovCath also outrebounded the Thoroughbreds in the half 18-16

 

“I knew they were really good,” said Dawn. “We missed some opportunities, but I’m sure they fell the same way, too.”

 

The lead changed four times in the first quarter before CovCath pulled ahead 18-13 at the end of the quarter when Junior forward Bo Schuh made a three-pointer with 10 seconds left. Schuh had all seven of his first-half points in the opening quarter.

 

“We didn’t do as well as we did the other night moving the ball and we missed some transition opportunities, but overall I thought our defensive effort was good and for us to outrebound them that’s what we knew we needed to do,” said Scott Ruthsatz.

 

NewCath was led by junior forward Drew McDonald’s 10 points and eight from senior guard Tanner Moeves. The 6-7 McDonald, who is being recruited by Division I colleges, and 6-8 teammate Jake Schulte, who has signed with Division I USC Upstate, got off to shaky starts from the field as the duo combined to make just 3 of 10 shots from the field in the first quarter.

How is the Cov Cath gym floor this morning? Safe enough for the 8th grade boys games?

Basketball, Boys:

NC, CovCath Game Suspended:

The big showdown in Park Hills between 9th Region contenders Newport Central Catholic and Covington Catholic was called at halftime because of condensation on the CovCath floor.

The undefeated Colonels led 32-27 at halftime. Drew McDonald had 10 points to lead the Thoroughbreds and Tanner Moeves had eight.

Nick Ruthsatz led the Colonels with 12 points and Bo Schuh pitched in with seven.

The Thoroughbreds travel to Lloyd Memorial on Wednesday. Game time is 7:30 p.m.

 

Fort Thomas Sports: Notre Dame bests Highlands girls; NC-CovCath boys game suspended

I know some people are disappointed/upset that they or their loved ones were not able to get into the game last night and are wondering why they didn't move the game to BOK.

 

This will come as shock to few but I would 100% oppose that move if it were only so more people could get in. Had the floor not been an issue then that atmosphere last night cannot be topped nor even closely matched at BOK.

 

1300 people got in last night. Let's say 500 didn't. 1800 people in BOK is dreadful as far as atmosphere goes.

I know some people are disappointed/upset that they or their loved ones were not able to get into the game last night and are wondering why they didn't move the game to BOK.

 

This will come as shock to few but I would 100% oppose that move if it were only so more people could get in. Had the floor not been an issue then that atmosphere last night cannot be topped nor even closely matched at BOK.

 

1300 people got in last night. Let's say 500 didn't. 1800 people in BOK is dreadful as far as atmosphere goes.

 

I wonder if something could ever be arranged to have games like these with such demand played somewhere like Holmes to not destroy atmosphere, and allow for more butts in the bleachers? You think anyone, Holmes, CovCath, or NewCath folks would object to this? Just wonderin'? :idunno:

 

I imagine the a lot of people didn't bother even showing up knowing their chances of getting in would have been slim, meaning perhaps even more than 1800 folks would go see a game like this between CovCath/NewCath if it were held at Holmes.

I wonder if something could ever be arranged to have games like these with such demand played somewhere like Holmes to not destroy atmosphere, and allow for more butts in the bleachers? You think anyone, Holmes, CovCath, or NewCath folks would object to this? Just wonderin'? :idunno:

 

I imagine the a lot of people didn't bother even showing up knowing their chances of getting in would have been slim, meaning perhaps even more than 1800 folks would go see a game like this between CovCath/NewCath if it were held at Holmes.

 

 

If I'm Coach Ruthsatz or Coach Dawn I want it at my home gym.

I wonder if something could ever be arranged to have games like these with such demand played somewhere like Holmes to not destroy atmosphere, and allow for more butts in the bleachers? You think anyone, Holmes, CovCath, or NewCath folks would object to this? Just wonderin'? :idunno:

 

I imagine the a lot of people didn't bother even showing up knowing their chances of getting in would have been slim, meaning perhaps even more than 1800 folks would go see a game like this between CovCath/NewCath if it were held at Holmes.

Why not play the game at Thomas More every year. It seats more people, condensation would not be a problem, and I'm sure the college wouldn't mind getting kids onto their campus as a recruiting tool.

I know some people are disappointed/upset that they or their loved ones were not able to get into the game last night and are wondering why they didn't move the game to BOK.

 

This will come as shock to few but I would 100% oppose that move if it were only so more people could get in. Had the floor not been an issue then that atmosphere last night cannot be topped nor even closely matched at BOK.

 

1300 people got in last night. Let's say 500 didn't. 1800 people in BOK is dreadful as far as atmosphere goes.

 

You know if the game is at BOK, that there would be more than 1800 there. Of course, it wouldnt be a capacity crowd, but coupled with another good matchup, a doubleheader would get 4000-5000 I think.

Why not play the game at Thomas More every year. It seats more people, condensation would not be a problem, and I'm sure the college wouldn't mind getting kids onto their campus as a recruiting tool.

 

TMC's website says capacity is 1200. I was told 1300 were let in last night.

The sad thing is this could have all been avoided, when it's 20 below and the weatherman said it's going to be 50 in 4 days ..... Hello McFly, find another venue, Thomas More was open.......the game will never be finished and depending on how the ball bounces these two great teams may never play......a real shame...... Good luck to both teams the rest of the season

You know if the game is at BOK, that there would be more than 1800 there. Of course, it wouldnt be a capacity crowd, but coupled with another good matchup, a doubleheader would get 4000-5000 I think.

 

So let's say there's 2500 (might be high). 2500 in a 9400 seat facility? Pass.

So let's say there's 2500 (might be high). 2500 in a 9400 seat facility? Pass.

 

You actually think that the doubleheader that's being discussed will only draw 2500?

You actually think that the doubleheader that's being discussed will only draw 2500?

 

Sorry. I was responding to just the NCC/CCH game being moved.

Sorry. I was responding to just the NCC/CCH game being moved.

 

Oh. Yeah, I'm with you on that. If it's just one game, then BOK is not the answer.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.