Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NFL admits blown call against Chargers on Chiefs FG attempt

Featured Replies

What about the clock error in the Cowboys game last night... That

was a huge mistake as well.

  • Replies 91
  • Views 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if we are all honest here, and we all won't be, we are all probably glad the Steelers didn't get a do over by Suckup and he win it, because that would mean that P'burgh would be coming to your town instead of the sucky Chargers. And we all know that a division opponent who knows us really well and is playing as well as they have been for the entire season isn't a recipe for success for the Bengals. So, there's that.

What about the clock error in the Cowboys game last night... That

was a huge mistake as well.

 

That was inexcusable.

And if we are all honest here, and we all won't be, we are all probably glad the Steelers didn't get a do over by Suckup and he win it, because that would mean that P'burgh would be coming to your town instead of the sucky Chargers. And we all know that a division opponent who knows us really well and is playing as well as they have been for the entire season isn't a recipe for success for the Bengals. So, there's that.

 

No doubt. Want no part of the Steelers in the postseason if I'm the Bengals.

Refs don't get a free pass because players make bad plays. One particular ref is probably supposed to look at the line on all FG's...that's part of his job and he missed it. Of course the players could always play better, and I know refs are going to make mistakes...but they don't get a free pass, especially when a mistake might cost a team another chance at a win...or a playoff spot.

Refs don't get a free pass because players make bad plays. One particular ref is probably supposed to look at the line on all FG's...that's part of his job and he missed it. Of course the players could always play better, and I know refs are going to make mistakes...but they don't get a free pass, especially when a mistake might cost a team another chance at a win...or a playoff spot.

 

See that's where I don't get blaming refs for loses, etc. Almost every single play, in almost every single game there could be a penalty called that is missed on one team or another. With the competitive nature of the NFL, that one missed call being made, could completely change the outcome of quite a few games. I guess my point is, officials miss numerous calls, or simply don't make numerous calls, that occur in every game. If we're going to blame officials, they could technically be blamed for the outcome of the vast majority of games. I'd rather just place the blame on the players for not executing within the confines of the game as called. :idunno:

Refs don't get a free pass because players make bad plays. One particular ref is probably supposed to look at the line on all FG's...that's part of his job and he missed it. Of course the players could always play better, and I know refs are going to make mistakes...but they don't get a free pass, especially when a mistake might cost a team another chance at a win...or a playoff spot.

 

 

Not giving the ref a free pass. I'm saying the ref isn't the reason a team won or lost. There was a whole 59 minutes and some odd seconds to win the game. No game is won or lost because of one play at the end of the game. The entire game has to be taken into account. Otherwise let's save everybody time and money and just put 7 seconds on the clock, give one team the ball and tell them they have 7 seconds to score or they lose. Much easier that way. Then you can blame the ref for messing up that one play.

See that's where I don't get blaming refs for loses' date=' etc. Almost every single play, in almost every single game there could be a penalty called that is missed on one team or another. With the competitive nature of the NFL, that one missed call being made, could completely change the outcome of quite a few games. I guess my point is, officials miss numerous calls, or simply don't make numerous calls, that occur in every game. If we're going to blame officials, they could technically be blamed for the outcome of the vast majority of games. I'd rather just place the blame on the players for not executing within the confines of the game as called. :idunno:[/quote']

 

I didn't blame the refs for a loss. I said they cost a team another shot at winning the game. They messed up...

 

I know players don't always make plays. But in the grand scheme of things, the Chiefs deserved another shot at that FG because the Chargers broke the rules.

See that's where I don't get blaming refs for loses, etc. Almost every single play, in almost every single game there could be a penalty called that is missed on one team or another. With the competitive nature of the NFL, that one missed call being made, could completely change the outcome of quite a few games. I guess my point is, officials miss numerous calls, or simply don't make numerous calls, that occur in every game. If we're going to blame officials, they could technically be blamed for the outcome of the vast majority of games. I'd rather just place the blame on the players for not executing within the confines of the game as called. :idunno:

 

It's a sign of the times in today's blame-someone-else society that we live in. No accountability anywhere.

 

"It's the refs fault we went 9-7 and didn't back into a playoff spot. We won our last game but those other 3 teams we need to win to get us in the playoffs didn't pull it out because the refs missed a call. Those sorry bastards." :lol:

I didn't blame the refs for a loss. I said they cost a team another shot at winning the game. They messed up...

 

I know players don't always make plays. But in the grand scheme of things, the Chiefs deserved another shot at that FG because the Chargers broke the rules.

 

 

The Chiefs shouldn't have gotten a chance at the FG anyways. They held the play before and it wasn't called. Should have been a 10 second run-off. Ballgame.

I didn't blame the refs for a loss. I said they cost a team another shot at winning the game. They messed up...

 

I know players don't always make plays. But in the grand scheme of things, the Chiefs deserved another shot at that FG because the Chargers broke the rules.

 

Right, and there were probably at least once or twice that a called was missed that would've extended a Chargers drive (because the Chiefs broke the rules) at some point throughout the game, which could have led to them scoring, and winning the game regardless of the FG. It all evens out.

Not giving the ref a free pass. I'm saying the ref isn't the reason a team won or lost. There was a whole 59 minutes and some odd seconds to win the game. No game is won or lost because of one play at the end of the game. The entire game has to be taken into account. Otherwise let's save everybody time and money and just put 7 seconds on the clock' date=' give one team the ball and tell them they have 7 seconds to score or they lose. Much easier that way. Then you can blame the ref for messing up that one play.[/quote']

 

I didn't say the refs were the reason they lost. But they are 100% the reason they didn't get another kick. They missed the first one...that's on the kicker. But rules say they should have been given another chance.

 

Sometimes it takes an entire game and the very last play to determine a winner. You expect all players to give everything they have on that last play just like you expect the refs to be focused. Some crews screw up more than others and those guys should be held accountable, whether it's them getting fired, or whatever.

It's a sign of the times in today's blame-someone-else society that we live in. No accountability anywhere. "It's the refs fault we went 9-7 and didn't back into a playoff spot. We won our last game but those other 3 teams we need to win to get us in the playoffs didn't pull it out because the refs missed a call. Those sorry bastards." :lol:

 

Are the refs not held accountable for their mistakes in your world?

 

I agree that our society has become too - blame someone else for my problems - but I can promise you I'm not one of those people.

 

I don't think the Steelers deserved a playoff spot anyways. 8-8 isn't good enough IMO. I just don't think the refs should get a free pass for screwing up on a big play...

 

I'd understand it more if it was something they missed during a play, but this was before a play.

The Chiefs shouldn't have gotten a chance at the FG anyways. They held the play before and it wasn't called. Should have been a 10 second run-off. Ballgame.

 

I see a slight difference in missing in game calls and calls before a play that involve illegal formation. Someone should see that. They can't see every hold...

^Officials miss 12 man on the field penalties all the time. It happens.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.