October 29, 201312 yr And yet you saw fit to chime in. Bless your heart. It sounds like you agree with me, based on what you did NOT say. Lots of stories within the past few days deserving of threads on BGP, but Sharpton-Jackson's non-comments ain't one of them. This thread is simply a little red meat for the conservative chuckwagon gang. We both know that. A much more interesting thread would be a discussion of recent stories pointing out the growing rift between big-business Republicans and the Tea Party crowd. That might be the biggest political story of the week. Business groups to take stand against tea party candidates in primaries - Washington Times
October 30, 201312 yr Sharpton, Jackson, Hannity, Limbaugh are all well-paid Defenders of the Faith. They're political entertainers. Period. The whole premise of this thread is dumb. Not much going on this week, so let's haul out the Al and Jesse tackling dummies ... slap 'em around a little bit ... resurrect the Tawana Brawley story (now 26 years old ... yawn) ... and then castigate Al and Jesse for not sharing your outrage over a black-on-white crime. This is one of the dumbest political threads I've seen on BGP in a while. Maybe next week you boys can haul out the Teddy Kennedy tackling dummy. Sorry you don't like it. I started the thread because we got into this discussion in another thread. Lawnboy's post shows up first because when I moved the posts discussing Jesse and Al his was the first. I started the thread because I am not a fan of Jesse and AL but I think they are misdiagnosed as racists and I want to find out how people truly feel about them and why. I know my feelings about them and why I feel that way as a black person but I want to know why white people feel the way the way they do about Jesse and Al. I think it is great for both sides of the Jesse and Al fences to have this discussion. It's normally better for a poster to not respond if they don't have any interest in discussing the topic at hand. I do that everyday instead of responding with insults to the poster who started a thread I don't agree with or want any part of.
October 30, 201312 yr My guess is that Al and Jesse do care about the well being of black people but they also care about the nice perks being high profile civil rights leaders has given them. My question is to anyone who agrees with Al or Jesse or atleast tolerates them, in some ways don't you feel they may hinder the Civil Rights Movement and the overall goal of eliminating racial discord or atleast decreasing it to a point where it no longer draws much interest more than they help the goal? I kinda look at it similar to the Pro Life Movement. I have often stated that the greatest antagonists to the Pro Life Movement are some of their own members. Numerous times some of the comments made by Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell about abortion, women who have had abortion or Pro Choice people would just make me shake my head as I know such comments just made everyone in the Pro Life Movement look like a bunch of extremists and kills the movement in the court of public opinion which ultimately can affect voters. I think the Pro Life Movement has done a better job controlling the fringe members but here and there a fresh new comment will come out. I sort of think Al and Jesse sometimes can be the same problems, blowing off outlandish comments which stoke the flames of racism rather than leading to racial harmony. No. I think they bring attention to things that need to be discussed. If people could get past the messengers and take in part of the message then who knows what may happen. They do make some great points from time to time. I tolerate them but something pretty stupid and clear cut would have to happen in order for me to participate in a march with them.
October 30, 201312 yr Sorry you don't like it. I started the thread because we got into this discussion in another thread. Lawnboy's post shows up first because when I moved the posts discussing Jesse and Al his was the first. I started the thread because I am not a fan of Jesse and AL but I think they are misdiagnosed as racists and I want to find out how people truly feel about them and why. I know my feelings about them and why I feel that way as a black person but I want to know why white people feel the way the way they do about Jesse and Al. I think it is great for both sides of the Jesse and Al fences to have this discussion. Thanks for putting this in better context. Your last three sentences in the above paragraph should have been in the thread starter. It's normally better for a poster to not respond if they don't have any interest in discussing the topic at hand. I do that everyday instead of responding with insults to the poster who started a thread I don't agree with or want any part of. I believe posters most certainly can comment on the validity of a particular thread, which is all I was doing, based on my reading of the initial post. As far as "responding with insults," actually, I would advocate more free-wheeling discussion on the political threads, not less. Life's too boring. I'm far less bothered by insults thrown my way than I am by posters not wishing to offend.
October 30, 201312 yr Thanks for putting this in better context. Your last three sentences in the above paragraph should have been in the thread starter. I believe posters most certainly can comment on the validity of a particular thread, which is all I was doing, based on my reading of the initial post. As far as "responding with insults," actually, I would advocate more free-wheeling discussion on the political threads, not less. Life's too boring. I'm far less bothered by insults thrown my way than I am by posters not wishing to offend. Nothing wrong with free wheeling discussion but we still have rules in place that we adhere to and try to be consistent when enforcing.
October 30, 201312 yr I do not think they are racist. They are very single minded in their cause and do profit well from it. No different than any others that profit from theirs. I liken them to PETA, very single minded and know how to use the media to their advantage. Do I always agree with them, no, but I do understand what they are doing, they are consistent.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.