Cantrall Ratings

I know that ratings mean absolutely nothing this team of year, but I want to know how in the world Pendleton can keep winning but keep dropping in these ratings. I know that I am showing alot of bias here but I am very curious.

In the Cantrall ratings, strength of schedule is strong and the 10th doesn't rank very highly. Truthfully told the bottom of the 10th is weak.

The real question should be how do you put Ballard at #3?

Ballard is at # 20 in the state Cantrall rating, and 4th in the 7th region.

A bigger question would be how is John Hardin 2nd, while Elizabethtown is 9th, and E-Town has defeated them 2 out of 3 this year....the last time about a week ago on JH's home court.

Ballard is at # 20 in the state Cantrall rating, and 4th in the 7th region.

A bigger question would be how is John Hardin 2nd, while Elizabethtown is 9th, and E-Town has defeated them 2 out of 3 this year....the last time about a week ago on JH's home court.

Umm, no Ballard is No. 3 in the current Cantrall ratings on the Herald-Leader website right now????

And to be honest, that's probably not too far off. Other than Jeffersontown, Ballard is playing as well as anybody in Louisville right now. They have turned it around, plus the eight losses are all to teams in the top 20 (except St. X).

Don't be surprised to see Chris Renner in the Sweet 16 again

Umm, no Ballard is No. 3 in the current Cantrall ratings on the Herald-Leader website right now????

And to be honest, that's probably not too far off. Other than Jeffersontown, Ballard is playing as well as anybody in Louisville right now. They have turned it around, plus the eight losses are all to teams in the top 20 (except St. X).

My bad. I was looking at an old Cantrall from Jan 23rd.

HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL: RATING THE STATEBy Dave CantrallSPECIAL TO THE HERALD-LEADERRating the State is a system for ranking the state's high school basketball teams, according to strength, schedule and record.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :flame:

Boys

Top 25

School (record) This week Rating

1. Elizabethtown (21-3) Tuesday at St. Xavier. Friday vs. Bullitt East 82.0

1. South Laurel (18-4) Tuesday at Clinton Co.. Friday vs. Hazard 82.0

3. Ballard (13-8) Tuesday at (8) Male. Friday vs. St. Xavier 81.8

4. Pleasure Ridge Park (18-5) Tuesday at Fairdale. Saturday vs. Harlan 81.5

5. Lexington Catholic (18-5) Friday vs. West Carter. Saturday at (11) Scott Co. 81.4

6. Bryan Station (15-9) Tuesday at (19) Lafayette. Friday at (18) Henry Clay 81.0

7. Fern Creek (14-6) Tuesday at Iroquois. Wednesday at Evangel. Friday vs. Waggener 80.9

8. Male (13-5) Tuesday vs. (3) Ballard. Friday vs. (23) Eastern 80.5

8. Pendleton Co. (21-2) Saturday at Campbell Co. Desert Classic 80.5

10. Jeffersontown (19-3) Tuesday vs. Moore. Friday vs. (25) Trinity 80.3

11. Doss (18-6) Friday at Valley 80.0

11. Scott Co. (17-4) Tuesday at (14) Covington Catholic. Saturday vs. (5) Lexington Catholic 80.0

13. Holmes (17-4) Tuesday at Newport Catholic. Friday vs. Boone Co. 79.9

14. Covington Catholic (16-5) Tuesday vs. (11) Scott Co.. Friday at Ryle 79.8

15. John Hardin (18-3) Tuesday at Bullitt Central. Friday at Nelson Co. 79.2

16. Owensboro Catholic (20-3) Friday at Whitesville Trinity 79.1

17. University Heights (18-4) Friday at Paducah Tilghman 78.3

18. Henry Clay (17-7) Tuesday at Paul Dunbar. Friday vs. (6) Bryan Station 77.9

19. Lafayette (16-7) Tuesday vs. (6) Bryan Station. Friday vs. Clark Co. 77.8

20. Henderson Co. (12-9) Tuesday at Daviess Co.. Friday vs. Evansville Harrison 77.4

21. Warren Central (17-5) Tuesday at Ohio Co.. Friday at North Hardin 77.2

22. Highlands (19-3) Tuesday vs. Lloyd. Fri. at Cov. Holy Cross. Sat. at Campbell Co. Desert Classic 77.0

23. Eastern (20-4) Tuesday vs. Manual. Friday at (8) Male 76.9

24. Tates Creek (14-8) Tuesday vs. Franklin Co. 76.5

25. Trinity (12-12) Tuesday at St. Henry. Friday at (10) Jeffersontown 76.2

Guess that just shows how much the state is down this year if a team that has 8 losses is a legit #3 team?

Pretty consistant with the 9th region. Not to beat a dead horse, but Highlands is a easy top 15 if it weren't for strength of schedule, great team. Regardless, I think they should be a few spots higher. But overall not too bad from 7-25. Top 7 aren't bad. Scott Co. dropped because of their couple losses.

Ballard has a nice team, and they have come a long way from their struggles earlier in the year. But they are not No. 3, or top-10 for that matter. Top-15, yes. I can see them continuing to improve, but only winning at home by one over Hancock County has me puzzled.

I can see them (among a bunch of others) winning the 7th if they continue to improve.

Ballard has a nice team, and they have come a long way from their struggles earlier in the year. But they are not No. 3, or top-10 for that matter. Top-15, yes. I can see them continuing to improve, but only winning at home by one over Hancock County has me puzzled.

I can see them (among a bunch of others) winning the 7th if they continue to improve.

I agree 100%

You make a good point, "Schue". In seeing how quickly and high they have climbed in the polls of late, it makes me wonder if they have had a top notch player out through many of those early season loses who is now back?

I honestly don't know since I am not able to follow the high school teams in Louisville.

You make a good point, "Schue". In seeing how quickly and high they have climbed in the polls of late, it makes me wonder if they have had a top notch player out through many of those early season loses who is now back?

I honestly don't know since I am not able to follow the high school teams in Louisville.

I don't think computer rankings take those things into effect.

I don't think computer rankings take those things into effect.

Correct.

The main reason for their rise is strength of schedule, and they play one of the toughest in the state. Winning six of your last seven helps. But perhaps the most overlooked aspect of the Cantrall Ratings is the (over)emphasis placed on margin of victory. A 55-point win over Atherton last week more than made up for the loss at home to J'town.