October 25, 201312 yr If I felt more confident that Young would be a 25-30 minute guy, I'd probably feel better about this UK team. I don't think 20 minutes is enough splitting time with Poythress... Cal's going to play the lineup he thinks he can win with, so if Young is giving the team a lot more than Poythress he's going to get the minutes. This will all play out during the season as the two progress, but when it counts you will see the guys out there who give them the best shot to win. He's not afraid to sit experience for talent, I mean Miller started and played starters minutes three seasons and had to play a reserve role the year they won the title. I have faith he can make it work.
October 25, 201312 yr That's about the only concern I have for this team. I had some doubts about the team chemistry and all of that, but seems that hasn't been a problem and has instead been a strength early on. But they have a lot of streaky shooters. Guys who can get hot and and bury six one game and then two games later be brick city. That type of hot and cold shooting can get you bounced in the tournament. I do feel they have more capable 3pt shooting on this team than the Wall team. Harrison's, Young, Poythress, Hood, Randle, Willis, etc. can all hit them, but none of them are Doron Lamb. I'm hoping they can do it by committee and get just enough to make it work, if they can it's going to be hard to beat them (assuming they buy in and become 1/2 the defensive team they have the potential to be). 3pt shooting is one of the reasons I want them to lock up Blackmon and Booker so bad. In college basketball it is essential, you have to have it. I don't care how much talent you have, you still have to score buckets. That's why the Northern Iowa's and Davidsons of the world can knock off the juggernauts in the tourney (unless your Florida Gulf Coast then you just dunk on everybody). If you have lights out shooters, anything can happen. You put said shooters around NBA talent, now you have an offense. Lamb is basically the only "shooter" Cal has had (I guess Wiltjer but Lamb is the only perimeter shooter) so I would like to see that change. Looks like they may end up with somebody like that for the next few seasons. And for UK it is more about having the threat to drain the long ball. In their championship season they were a good shooting team, from deep, but they did not attempt much from long range.
October 25, 201312 yr And for UK it is more about having the threat to drain the long ball. In their championship season they were a good shooting team, from deep, but they did not attempt much from long range. Exactly. Like that team, this years version won't need to rely on it by any stretch. If they can hit just enough to break the zone (they will see a ton of it this season) or stretch the defense away from the lane it should give them all they need to be effective.
October 25, 201312 yr Exactly. Like that team, this years version won't need to rely on it by any stretch. If they can hit just enough to break the zone (they will see a ton of it this season) or stretch the defense away from the lane it should give them all they need to be effective. Best part about two seasons ago is that no team could zone them. They abused zone defenses. Man, they were good.
October 25, 201312 yr Best part about two seasons ago is that no team could zone them. They abused zone defenses. Man, they were good. Yep, and if they can do the same this year they should have the same results. Lamb, Wiltjer, and Miller were key to that a couple of seasons ago. Hopefully Young, Harrisons, Poythress, etc. can be your zone busters this season.
October 25, 201312 yr I think Hood has a chance to be a good outside shooter this season if given the chance.
November 3, 201312 yr Author Was looking at some different teams & their rosters this weekend. Boise State, a team UK plays at Rupp, could be a sleeper. Five starters and top six scorers return from a team that went to the NCAA Tourney last year.
November 3, 201312 yr Was looking at some different teams & their rosters this weekend. Boise State, a team UK plays at Rupp, could be a sleeper. Five starters and top six scorers return from a team that went to the NCAA Tourney last year. My son and I have discussed this same thing several times.
November 3, 201312 yr I predict a Sweet 16 appearance for UK, then an early exit from the tournament. Not enough consistent shooters to get the job done.
November 3, 201312 yr I predict a Sweet 16 appearance for UK, then an early exit from the tournament. Not enough consistent shooters to get the job done. I think this may be the most consistently accurate shooting team since Cal's been at UK.
November 3, 201312 yr National champs- Kentucky Final Four- UK, UL, Mich. State, Dukies Player of the Year- McDermott Freshman of the Year- Andrew wiggins Coach of the Year- If the cats go 40-0, it's Calipari, if not it goes to Tom Izzo.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.