Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

60 Minutes last night

Featured Replies

First of all I am 46 years old and I don't understand this not wanting to work stuff people are pulling now. It really pisses me off when I see people who draw disability and is in better shape than I am. I had back surgery my senior year of high school. When I got better I went to work. In 1995 I blew 2 more disc out while working out. I took 4 months off work to get better and take therapy. I got better and went right back to work. In 2010 I had a ceiling fall on my head and crush 4 or 5 vertebra. I went right back to work. This year I had heart surgery. 5 bypasses. I begged the doctor to let me go back to work after 3 months instead of 4. I have been at Mid-America Machine for over 23 years. The first 20 as a machinist. Now I am the purchasing manager. I hurt every day and never take pain meds. Some times I want to take a bat to some sorry person who takes everything for granted. Something has to be done about all of the abuse of the programs. My mother had arthritis so bad she couldn't walk and it took her over 7 months to get disability. It shouldn't be that way. I know I guy who gets disability and climbs trees with a climbing stand. What the hell is wrong with him? I don't know how he sleeps at night.

Edited by mcpapa

If law capped the % attorneys could charge for assisting with these claims, it may dry up some of the money hunger attorneys portrayed in the 60 minutes piece.

 

It does. Attorneys can only collect 25% of the back payments accrued between the filing of the case and the award in the applicant's favor. That figure is then capped at $6,000 total for the case.

 

Guys... most of this story talked about real, actual fraud. And not even necessarily on behalf of clients, many of whom probably believed they were entitled to disability, but on the part of attorneys and judges. In the case of this Conn fellow, it wasn't the program's fault. He and the judge seem to have an actual system worked out, which is stunning. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but apparently an article ran about this Conn fellow in the C-J this morning. He's going to end up in jail for this.

  • Author
It does. Attorneys can only collect 25% of the back payments accrued between the filing of the case and the award in the applicant's favor. That figure is then capped at $6,000 total for the case.

 

Guys... most of this story talked about real, actual fraud. And not even necessarily on behalf of clients, many of whom probably believed they were entitled to disability, but on the part of attorneys and judges. In the case of this Conn fellow, it wasn't the program's fault. He and the judge seem to have an actual system worked out, which is stunning. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but apparently an article ran about this Conn fellow in the C-J this morning. He's going to end up in jail for this.

 

Just to clarify you are saying this is an isolated incident and not happening anywhere else?

It does. Attorneys can only collect 25% of the back payments accrued between the filing of the case and the award in the applicant's favor. That figure is then capped at $6,000 total for the case.

 

Guys... most of this story talked about real, actual fraud. And not even necessarily on behalf of clients, many of whom probably believed they were entitled to disability, but on the part of attorneys and judges. In the case of this Conn fellow, it wasn't the program's fault. He and the judge seem to have an actual system worked out, which is stunning. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but apparently an article ran about this Conn fellow in the C-J this morning. He's going to end up in jail for this.

Aren't these Federal Judges that hear these cases, not our local District or Circuit Judges...right?

Right. They're administrative law judges that hear nothing but Disability cases.

Just to clarify you are saying this is an isolated incident and not happening anywhere else?

 

No, I'm not saying that.

What concerns me is the money that is lost for those who truly have disabilities being given instead to those who choose to lie and cheat the system. It makes me sick, to think that those who really need the help are being cheated by a scum bag Attorney, Judge, Doctors and a lot of folks in some parts of the Country think it's okay!

 

I have heard - with my own ears - folks say that this is a great way to get revenue into poor counties.

 

I'm a bleeding-heart liberal, but there are limits to my liberality.

I bet he just :poop: a brick when he found out 60 Minutes was at the door. :woot:

 

He didn't look as cool as his commercial when they interviewed him. Looked like he a scalded puppy. I found it comical that he had one handicap spot outside of his office.

I am a socially leaning liberal, but this is far more than anyone should condone. I understand people having to feed their families and there being a lack of jobs in their region, however, taking advantage of a program that conceptually should really assist those who truly need it is just plain criminal in my mind. Taking on the lawyers and judicial players in this is the first step, but I am afraid we will all get socked by this in a couple of years. There is just no way you will get enough congress persons to fight this lobby. The disabled probably have the 2nd most powerful lobby behind the NRA. True disability crosses all segments of society.

  • Author
No, I'm not saying that.

 

Then I'm confused. What are you saying. In don't want to come off disrespectful. Just honestly want to know.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.