Rick Bolus updated rankings

qryche11, you are precisely right. I have been watching players in school and at our tourneys for years. I have been dead-on in most predictions for players when they reach 8th or 9th grade levels. Most college coaches ask two questions now: Can a kid play defense? And do they have the speed and size to play at a D1 level? Points per game has become a secondary issue.

Out of curiosity, look at Pitino's current inbound class and tell me how many of those players average 30 per game in the their respective senior years. I think you will be a bit shocked.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

qryche11, you are precisely right. I have been watching players in school and at our tourneys for years. I have been dead-on in most predictions for players when they reach 8th or 9th grade levels. Most college coaches ask two questions now: Can a kid play defense? And do they have the speed and size to play at a D1 level? Points per game has become a secondary issue.

Out of curiosity, look at Pitino's current inbound class and tell me how many of those players average 30 per game in the their respective senior years. I think you will be a bit shocked.

This is true, but things are changing. Colleges are now understanding that you still have to have someone who can put the ball in the whole. A perfect example is Chris Loften. He was considered somewhat slow and his defense was in question. They have improved his defensive ability and his shooting is still there. In contrast, a kid who comes in and is a terror on defense but cannot shoot will most likely end his college career in the same way. He may improve his shooting, but he will not become a prolific shooter. Rondo may be an example of this. My point is that every player has weaknesses. For too long colleges have chose to shy away from shooters who could not play defense. Now they are paying the price, HOPEING from game to game that someone will get on a hot streak. When Lee Humpreys shoots we always expect the ball to go in. When Loften shoots we expect the ball to go in. When Garcia was at Lville, we knew the ball was going in.

Now, most colleges live on a wing and a prayer hopeing that one of there super defenders will get lucky and make a few shots.

How is it possible for Barbourville's Matthew Cox to be below Lynn Camp's Cody Dixon? When Pineville and Barbourville played him he may have had a combined 15 points. And to cap it off he had 8 points against Red Bird. Now I know NO list can be perfect but somethings are just obvious.

I am a little surprised to see Lawson up on that list before Jeff Vories...no disrespect as Sam is a fine player but when you look at the year Jeff is having against pretty formidable foes....however, Dixie has played a tough schedule as well. The 2 Newport kids on the list is also somewhat surprising. I know they are great athletes but.........

Dan Penick is ranked to high, same with Lawson. I would think Howard would find his name on there somewhere. Elliot needs to be higher on the list to.

Dan's stock continues to rise and more Div. 1 Schools are coming to watch him and contacting the school about him. As I and some others have already said he is the only Div. 1 prospect in NKY this year.

Dan has also been invited to play in the Ohio-Ky Allstar Game to be played at Thomas More sometime in April with several others outstanding players from across the state.

I really liked his game vs. Morgan Co....and he is a tremendous kid from what hear as well.

:thumb: Dan is a great kid who has matured a great deal as he gets older. Well liked by kids in the school and the staff. He has become a very good leader for the others to follow on the basketball team. I think wherever he goes that school is going to end up with a special player.

Oh by the way, I see you are an Aug. 12th baby. Me too. Of course I'm quite a bit older..

No mention of Tyler Wilkerson of Lafayette. He is listed at 6'8" and is probably legit 6'7". He has to be on this list by size alone although his skills are surprisingly good for a kid who hasn't played much before this year.

I agree... that kid had a whale of a game against Highlands.... a couple of dunks... .huge wingspan I heard. The list can be tainted a little, sometimes its about the kids that attend Bolus' camp every summer, etc.