Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tyler Ulis is a UK Wildcat

Featured Replies

I am assuming with what the article said

 

Article I read said he transferred from UNLV and was on scholly.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jerry Meyer compared him to Mike Bibby. Is this accurate GT?

 

Didn't get to see him play this year, so I'm sitting this one out...

I'm excited for him! From what I read, he is touted as: good passer, quick, nice floater. Welcome to BBN!

I'm excited for him! From what I read' date=' he is touted as: good passer, quick, nice floater. Welcome to BBN![/quote']

 

I think he will be just fine, everyone just needs to give him time to get used to the college game. There's a lot of ignorant fans out there talking trash but just because he's a smaller guard doesn't mean he's going to be Ryan Harrow 2.0 . Ulis has a certain toughness and will be here to run a team for possibly four years. With his pick up the need for an über elite pg every class is now not as severe. As long as there is talent around him Ulis will produce, and with Calipari there's going to be talent.

I think he will be just fine, everyone just needs to give him time to get used to the college game. There's a lot of ignorant fans out there talking trash but just because he's a smaller guard doesn't mean he's going to be Ryan Harrow 2.0 . Ulis has a certain toughness and will be here to run a team for possibly four years. With his pick up the need for an über elite pg every class is now not as severe. As long as there is talent around him Ulis will produce, and with Calipari there's going to be talent.

 

Yeah, I agree nice play by Cal here. He could be a nice fit for the next couple years. Seems like a "floor general" type.

Yeah, I agree nice play by Cal here. He could be a nice fit for the next couple years. Seems like a "floor general" type.

 

Without question, probably the first "true PG" Cal has had at UK. Wall, Knight, Teague, Harrison, etc. are all super elite PG's, but they all have aspects to their game that help them excel aside from just being able to run a team. In Wall's case he is just an athletic freak who can make plays no one can thanks to his athleticism. Knight was more of a scoring guard with athleticism, Teague more of your slasher with athleticism. Andrew will use his height and athleticism to make the most of his play. Although all were very capable passers and very good at "running a team", Ulis will be your prototypical lead guy. He will truely be a pass first PG.

Ulis is going to be more of your Keith Appling (Mich St.), Isiah Thomas (Wash), Peyton Siva type point guard. Someone who will run the team and get everyone good looks, someone who will not worry about getting buckets for himself unless he has too. His main attribute will be getting other guys the ball in spots where they can have success.

Without question, probably the first "true PG" Cal has had at UK. Wall, Knight, Teague, Harrison, etc. are all super elite PG's, but they all have aspects to their game that help them excel aside from just being able to run a team. In Wall's case he is just an athletic freak who can make plays no one can thanks to his athleticism. Knight was more of a scoring guard with athleticism, Teague more of your slasher with athleticism. Andrew will use his height and athleticism to make the most of his play. Although all were very capable passers and very good at "running a team", Ulis will be your prototypical lead guy. He will truely be a pass first PG.

 

I thought Teague really started to recognize this down the road, and was key part to 2012's success.

The arc on Ulis' floater is pretty unbelievable. He's got that one down.

Maybe he was hamming it up for the camera, but I like his demeanor here. Seems like a guy who'll play with a chip on his shoulder and use the slights as motivation.

 

Watching his highlight tapes, here's what I see (feel free to disagree):

 

 

Strengths:

Floor Vision (penetrates and reads well)

Crossover creates separation (and when he gets into the middle, he uses jump-stop well)

Nice floater, high arc

Set shot is fine

 

 

Weaknesses:

Defense, especially in the High Pick & Roll (will hurt more at the next level)

Hesitates to go all the way to the Rim (again... will hurt more at the next level)

Ability to Create Own Shot (step-back moves seem to be somewhat suspect... again, next level against bigger, faster defenders)

Edited by JokersWild24

I thought Teague really started to recognize this down the road, and was key part to 2012's success.

 

Agree.

Maybe he was hamming it up for the camera, but I like his demeanor here. Seems like a guy who'll play with a chip on his shoulder and use the slights as motivation.

 

Looked like Ulis won the battle, but Jones the war(game).

Looked like Ulis won the battle, but Jones the war(game).

 

True story.

 

One thing I noticed in the highlight clip was how much help they'd give Ulis on the high ball screen.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.