Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dead Period

Featured Replies

Can anyone answer these questions?

 

Why is the dead period for spring sports right in the middle of summer?

Why isnt it in the fall or early winter?

If a high school coach wants to coach anything in the summer they are forced to take 2 weeks off because of this break.

Can it be petitioned to be moved?

Whose butt do I need to chew to get this moved?

 

:banghead:

Edited by mcpapa

  • Replies 57
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone answer these questions?

 

Why is the dead period for spring sports right in the middle of summer?

Why isnt it in the fall or early winter?

If a high school coach wants to coach anything in the summer they are forced to take 2 weeks off because of this break.

Can it be petitioned to be moved?

Whose butt do I need to chew to get this moved?

 

:banghead:

 

I thought the dead period for all high school sports was in the middle of summer? I was not aware of different dead periods for different seasons.

I thought the dead period for all high school sports was in the middle of summer? I was not aware of different dead periods for different seasons.

 

You are correct. There is one dead period for all sports. 6.25 to 7.9 .

I thought the dead period for all high school sports was in the middle of summer? I was not aware of different dead periods for different seasons.

 

All sports have the same dead period.

Can anyone answer these questions?

 

Why is the dead period for spring sports right in the middle of summer?

Why isnt it in the fall or early winter?

If a high school coach wants to coach anything in the summer they are forced to take 2 weeks off because of this break.

Can it be petitioned to be moved?

Whose butt do I need to chew to get this moved?

 

:banghead:

 

Not to be rude or anything ... but it sounds like the dead period was created with people like you in mind.

To answer your questions:

*As previously stated--the dead period for all high school sports is in the summer. It has nothing to do with when the actual sport is in season.

*If a high school coach wants to coach anything in the summer .... well ... as a rule of thumb ... they can coach anything other than high school sports (that is kind of broad) ... you can not coach the athletes that you are responsible for (or any other high school athletes). You can coach younger/older athletes who are NOT involved in high school teams/sports/etc.

*No ... the dead period can not and will not be moved. It is and will continue to be on the exact same dates so it is consistent--which gives the kids a set period to be away from school. It also allows parents to schedule vacations, downtime that they usually need by this time of the year.

*Whose butt do you need to chew? Honestly ... do you really want that kind of statement out in public? You will never get it moved ... but if you want to give it a shot ... give Julian Tackett a call at the KHSAA. After that ... be ready ... because the dead period was agreed on by the KMA, the KEA as well as the state legislature. In a nutshell--good luck.

 

I used to hate the dead period. But it has truly gotten to the point where those are the only two weeks a year where I am not coaching a sport. It certainly would not bother me if we had the dead period back ... but the kids no longer have a life. When you throw in 90 game summer baseball schedules, AAU basketball ... yeah well ... the kids are put in a spot.

 

I coach two fall sports (yeah ... I don't have a life) and a "spring" sport. Well ... if we want to be good in that spring sport ... we start real practice in December ... that sport ends at the beginning of June. Yes ... 7 months for track and field. I am not even going to start on the time we spend on football.

 

As an adult (not a teacher) ... I get 8 weeks of vacation each year. Teachers get the summer and personal days.

Kids shouldn't get the dead period?

I guess I would like to understand your logic.

 

"Sometimes" ... the best thing for the kids ... is to give them time off. I think we all know they are involved in other sports mostly ... but one less obligation is a load off the mind of some kids.

Edited by quickslick
Genius doesn't make spelling any easier ....

Whose butt do I need to chew to get this moved?
That would take more power and pull then you THINK you have
Not to be rude or anything ... but it sounds like the dead period was created with people like you in mind.

To answer your questions:

*As previously stated--the dead period for all high school sports is in the summer. It has nothing to do with when the actual sport is in season.

*If a high school coach wants to coach anything in the summer .... well ... as a rule of thumb ... they can coach anything other than high school sports (that is kind of broad) ... you can not coach the athletes that you are responsible for (or any other high school athletes). You can coach younger/older athletes who are NOT involved in high school teams/sports/etc.

*No ... the dead period can not and will not be moved. It is and will continue to be on the exact same dates so it is consistent--which gives the kids a set period to be away from school. It also allows parents to schedule vacations, downtime that they usually need by this time of the year.

*Whose butt do you need to chew? Honestly ... do you really want that kind of statement out in public? You will never get it moved ... but if you want to give it a shot ... give Julian Tackett a call at the KHSAA. After that ... be ready ... because the dead period was agreed on by the KMA, the KEA as well as the state legislature. In a nutshell--good luck.

 

I used to hate the dead period. But it has truly gotten to the point where those are the only two weeks a year where I am not coaching a sport. It certainly would not bother me if we had the dead period back ... but the kids no longer have a life. When you throw in 90 game summer baseball schedules, AAU basketball ... yeah well ... the kids are put in a spot.

 

I coach two fall sports (yeah ... I don't have a life) and a "spring" sport. Well ... if we want to be good in that spring sport ... we start real practice in December ... that sport ends at the beginning of June. Yes ... 7 months for track and field. I am not even going to start on the time we spend on football.

 

As an adult (not a teacher) ... I get 8 weeks of vacation each year. Teachers get the summer and personal days.

Kids shouldn't get the dead period?

I guess I would like to understand your logic.

 

"Sometimes" ... the best thing for the kids ... is to give them time off. I think we all know they are involved in other sports mostly ... but one less obligation is a load off the mind of some kids.

 

What your missing out on here is that Bat boy is involved in softball. Probably why he posted this in the softball forum. The dead period affect softball and baseball way more than the other sports (I would think) The softball season is only 7 to 8 weeks long. Most teams play every week. If you happen to have a player or two from your HS team on your summer team than your out those 2 weekends.

 

I have no problem with the dead period and maybe think they should have more of them but to put out a date set for each sport where it affect some athletes and coaches more than others just isn't very smart.

 

AAU basketball I believe goes hard from spring to early summer so they are ready for the break by the dead period. Almost zero affect on soccer besides preseason condition.

  • Author

Im not saying to not have a dead period. I am saying that for spring sports coaches it shouldnt be a month after their seasons are over. I feel that it should be in the fall or winter when these spring sports coaches arent involved with summer activities. Yes time off for the kids is great but if they only play a spring sport, the summer is their time to get better/get seen by college coaches.

 

I apologize for not putting "LOL" behind my statement of whose butt to chew out. I dont think I have the power you think I do. Just asking a question.

 

Thanks for the input :thumb:

What your missing out on here is that Bat boy is involved in softball. Probably why he posted this in the softball forum. The dead period affect softball and baseball way more than the other sports (I would think) The softball season is only 7 to 8 weeks long. Most teams play every week. If you happen to have a player or two from your HS team on your summer team than your out those 2 weekends.

 

I have no problem with the dead period and maybe think they should have more of them but to put out a date set for each sport where it affect some athletes and coaches more than others just isn't very smart.

 

AAU basketball I believe goes hard from spring to early summer so they are ready for the break by the dead period. Almost zero affect on soccer besides preseason condition.

 

What am I missing? Oh ... that's right ... I can't read or make sense out of the fact that I was in the "Softball" forum.

Seriously?

 

I think what you are forgetting here ... is that high school softball and baseball are finished in early June as does track and tennis.

The KHSAA controls the part that they are responsible for ... which is high school athletics. And ... at the end of the season ... the kids need a break. The KHSAA has to deal with the aspects of athletics that they can influence .. which is the end of the high school season (and really .. they have no legal grounds to even acknowledge the fact that kids are involved in summer teams. I love the fact that the KHSAA steps up to the plate and mandates a dead period.

 

What I know is this ... nearly every sport is year round anymore. Teams may not be playing games .. but lifting, working out, etc. It never stops anymore.

 

My ears are open ... please explain to me how you would change the system.

Kids need time to decompress from the year round grind.

How could a dead period at other times work ... especially if school is in session (and don't say that doesn't matter .... the fact of the matter is that kid sees coach at school ... it is very easy for a coach to communicate with the student athlete).

 

I think it is time for the organizations that run summer basketball/softball/baseball to step up to the plate ... and have a dead period of their own. Lord forbid that those money making machines have to stop and do what is best for the kids ...

A different dead period for each sport is counter-productive. While it's the dead period in, for instance, December for baseball, a lot of kids are still playing basketball. Not really a dead period.

 

And no one is saying a kid can't play softball during the dead period. They are simply saying a coach can't attend games or practices if there are players from your HS, unless your kid is on the roster. Still can't coach but you can attend as a spectator.

 

For the programs that do it right, it's a blessing from the KHSAA. Coaches and players need to decompress sometimes. Even if they are still playing, not being around the same person you played HS ball with for two weeks can be a good thing.

What am I missing? Oh ... that's right ... I can't read or make sense out of the fact that I was in the "Softball" forum.

Seriously?

 

I think what you are forgetting here ... is that high school softball and baseball are finished in early June as does track and tennis.

The KHSAA controls the part that they are responsible for ... which is high school athletics. And ... at the end of the season ... the kids need a break. The KHSAA has to deal with the aspects of athletics that they can influence .. which is the end of the high school season (and really .. they have no legal grounds to even acknowledge the fact that kids are involved in summer teams. I love the fact that the KHSAA steps up to the plate and mandates a dead period.

 

What I know is this ... nearly every sport is year round anymore. Teams may not be playing games .. but lifting, working out, etc. It never stops anymore.

 

My ears are open ... please explain to me how you would change the system.

Kids need time to decompress from the year round grind.

How could a dead period at other times work ... especially if school is in session (and don't say that doesn't matter .... the fact of the matter is that kid sees coach at school ... it is very easy for a coach to communicate with the student athlete).

 

I think it is time for the organizations that run summer basketball/softball/baseball to step up to the plate ... and have a dead period of their own. Lord forbid that those money making machines have to stop and do what is best for the kids ...

 

Maybe you need help being a parent I do not so the dead period in my eyes is dumb. Obviously your a liberal and you want to tell other people how to raise their kid. I think parents should decide when and for how long their kids need a break. I do not mind that they have it but why punish one kid or one team that has a HS coach when the softball season is only 8 weeks long. You talk about the money making machine yes they are in it for the money are you going to be willing to give up 25% of your season bc some people got together and said kids need a break. The kids can play anyway so does it really matter who coaches them. College coaches recruit softball players in the summer so if a team has a head coach that also coaches them in HS those kids lose out on 25% of the chances to play in front of coaches.

 

Your ears are open then change the dead period for softball and baseball. Why can't the dead period work while school is in session, the fact of the matter is a lot of these coaches that can not coach during the dead period ARE NOT teachers ie the one that started this thread.

 

Has there ever been any proff that the dead period works or is good for the student athlete? My daughter just finished her 4 years of high school and I couldn't have told you when the dead period was before reading this thread. Again I like the idea of a dead period but makes no sence to punish one group of kids and coaches more than the other.

 

Soccer players main recruiting time is in the spring. They do not have to deal with a dead period in the middle of their season, why should softball? That's right bc some jack off's in Frankfort said so, makes sense to me.

  • Author

I really dont see how it would be difficult to have different dead periods for different seasons.

Fall sports dead period would be in the spring. Winter sports in the late spring/early summer. Spring sports in the fall or winter.

I really dont see how it would be difficult to have different dead periods for different seasons.

Fall sports dead period would be in the spring. Winter sports in the late spring/early summer. Spring sports in the fall or winter.

 

As stated. A kid that plays multiple sports in different seasons wouldn't get a "dead period". The point is that coaches are turning every sport into a year round activity. A three sport athlete at any school would never get a break as coaches would make everything "mandatory". This gives kids and families the opportunity to take some time off, if they so choose.

 

And again, no one is making the player take time off. Just the coach. I've never heard a HS baseball or softball coach complain about the timing of the dead period. It's really the only feasible time to have an all sport dead period. The kids are still playing and that's all that matters.

I really dont see how it would be difficult to have different dead periods for different seasons.

Fall sports dead period would be in the spring. Winter sports in the late spring/early summer. Spring sports in the fall or winter.

 

What would be anyones guess on how many kids the dead period even affects? We have so many rules and laws out there that affect such a little number why even bother. I guess people need a reason to keep their jobs so they make laws and rules.

As stated. A kid that plays multiple sports in different seasons wouldn't get a "dead period". The point is that coaches are turning every sport into a year round activity. A three sport athlete at any school would never get a break as coaches would make everything "mandatory". This gives kids and families the opportunity to take some time off, if they so choose.

 

And again, no one is making the player take time off. Just the coach. I've never heard a HS baseball or softball coach complain about the timing of the dead period. It's really the only feasible time to have an all sport dead period. The kids are still playing and that's all that matters.

 

I would say parents have way more to do with the sports being year around than the coaches. Some clubs may be at fault also but still comes down to the parents.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.