Shark Week

I don't get it. I really don't.

Why does everybody like sharks so much?

Is this ironic or some other postmodern thing I don't understand?

Air Jaws got me hooked a few years ago...I like most of the shows on SW but I love the Air Jaws Series where 1000lb Great Whites are coming out of the water like a Largemouth chasing a buzz bait...man that's something to see.

I've always been fascinated by sharks. Especially great white sharks. I always enjoyed Shark Week when nobody cared about it. Air Jaws is the most fascinating thing I have ever seen during Shark Week.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love sharks and love Shark Week.

I've had a fascination of them since I was a kid. Been snorkeling and diving with them more times than I can remember. Been bit twice. Just a couple of love taps, one from a Black Tip and one from a White Tip. Had a wet suit on so no biggie. The White Tip left a nice smiley face on my arm. The Black Tip was just a couple weeks ago in Florida. Hit me on the hand, but didn't penetrate my gloves.

Love sharks and love Shark Week.

I've had a fascination of them since I was a kid. Been snorkeling and diving with them more times than I can remember. Been bit twice. Just a couple of love taps, one from a Black Tip and one from a White Tip. Had a wet suit on so no biggie. The White Tip left a nice smiley face on my arm. The Black Tip was just a couple weeks ago in Florida. Hit me on the hand, but didn't penetrate my gloves.

And I though getting hit by lightning 2 times was cool, you may have passed me getting bitten by a Shark 2 times!

You guys do know that this was a "mockumentary" don't you? This "footage" was about as real as the Mermaids documentary that Animal Planet had. I'm really disappointed in The Discovery Channel for putting something like this out. They might as well have went in search of Sharknado.
I didn't know. But I could tell most of it was recreations. Guess I'm gullible, or just wanted it to be real, but I was holding on to some hope that Discovery Channel too much class to stoop to Repo Man type shows.

I tried watching a little "shark week" to see what the hype is all about.

Whatever I watched seemed like a poorly written, poorly acted reality show with all the fake reality show drama.

I turned it off after about 10 minutes.

It's been extremely weak this year. I really think they just didn't have good stuff going into this year so they decided to make up some Megalodon stuff to try and make people wonder. For those of us who love shark week, I'd say its a down year. The best shows are the ones they are showing throughout the day that you should record and watch later:

Anything involving Air Jaws

Great White Highway

How Jaws Changed the World

Just a few that I've caught and recorded. Way better than what they showed the first night, and probably last night. Which I didn't even watch because it looked like a repeat from a previous year that they just added a lil new material too. So far, I'm disappointed in the "prime time" material they have.

Had to go dig them out of the files and scan a couple, but here's a couple of my better pics.

Maui, about 8 years ago. White Tip - 5 footer. This is the guy that bit me.

White tip.jpg

Fla Keys, about 2 years ago. Black tip 4 1/2 footer.

A Black Tip.jpg

Fla Keys, about 15 years ago. Crappy pic, but biggest fish I've ever been in the water with. Pretty easy to tell what he is. About a 12 footer.

hammerhead.jpg