July 28, 201313 yr How does the cops being minutes away to tens of minutes away help anything? Armed staff...that's the answer. Consider this law a step in the right direction. If the answer is so easy (arm the staff) then why hasn't that been done yet? Why would you allow college kids to bring guns to a campus BEFORE you allow teachers? I'm kind of perplexed when it comes to that logic. I see this as a step in the WRONG direction if anything. I'm sure many many citizens in NC have owned/used guns; but I sure as hell would trust a 40+ year old person (majority of professors/staffers) and their experience than a student who is 18-22 and their own experience with guns.
July 28, 201313 yr If the answer is so easy (arm the staff) then why hasn't that been done yet? Why would you allow college kids to bring guns to a campus BEFORE you allow teachers? I'm kind of perplexed when it comes to that logic. I see this as a step in the WRONG direction if anything. I'm sure many many citizens in NC have owned/used guns; but I sure as hell would trust a 40+ year old person (majority of professors/staffers) and their experience than a student who is 18-22 and their own experience with guns. Not sure I follow, staff are citizens of the state, so they would be afforded the same rights the students are. The right to have a gun on campus in their car as long as it's locked.
July 28, 201313 yr Not sure I follow, staff are citizens of the state, so they would be afforded the same rights the students are. The right to have a gun on campus in their car as long as it's locked. I don't like the idea of a 18-22 year old having access to a gun on a college campus. I would however understand allowing the staff to be armed while on the University if they choose to do so. This law does nothing IMO to cut down in anyway shootings on a college campus, I could actually see it increasing the number of shootings (not mass but single shootings) on college campuses. On a side note; I love how Reps love their guns and are quick to shoot to kill, but consider themselves hardcore Christians.
July 29, 201313 yr If the answer is so easy (arm the staff) then why hasn't that been done yet? Why would you allow college kids to bring guns to a campus BEFORE you allow teachers? I'm kind of perplexed when it comes to that logic. I see this as a step in the WRONG direction if anything. I'm sure many many citizens in NC have owned/used guns; but I sure as hell would trust a 40+ year old person (majority of professors/staffers) and their experience than a student who is 18-22 and their own experience with guns. Probably because they couldn't find any college professors that aren't afraid of guns.
July 29, 201313 yr After seeing that the law is for legal possession in you vehicle I see the point of the law. The law isn't about self defense as much as it's about no penalizing legal gun owners. Without the passage of this law a student or staff member that was planning on going hunting after class would be breaking the law if they left their shotgun secured in their trunk. Or someone has a legal CC Permit, their only option without this law would be to leave their firearm at home on days when they had class or worked at the university. What if they commute from a long distance and kept a weapon in their car for safety, well without this law that would be illegal. My old employer used to ban weapons in employees vehicles, until someone pointed out a law in Kentucky that prohibited their ban.
July 29, 201313 yr I don't like the idea of a 18-22 year old having access to a gun on a college campus. I would however understand allowing the staff to be armed while on the University if they choose to do so. This law does nothing IMO to cut down in anyway shootings on a college campus, I could actually see it increasing the number of shootings (not mass but single shootings) on college campuses. On a side note; I love how Reps love their guns and are quick to shoot to kill, but consider themselves hardcore Christians. What about 21-22 year olds, because of the group you mentioned those would be the only people who could legally have a gun on campus in a locked car not on their person. Also your above statement is contradictory to what you're trying to say. You're saying that the guns being closely available won't help if a shooting occurs and can't deter anything, I'm presuming the distant they'd have to travel to get to the gun. Yet on the other hand you're eliminating the distance as a variable when saying allowing guns on campus could easily lead to more shootings...... C'mon now.
July 29, 201313 yr What about 21-22 year olds, because of the group you mentioned those would be the only people who could legally have a gun on campus in a locked car not on their person. Also your above statement is contradictory to what you're trying to say. You're saying that the guns being closely available won't help if a shooting occurs and can't deter anything, I'm presuming the distant they'd have to travel to get to the gun. Yet on the other hand you're eliminating the distance as a variable when saying allowing guns on campus could easily lead to more shootings...... C'mon now. 18 year olds can purchase firearms
July 29, 201313 yr After seeing that the law is for legal possession in you vehicle I see the point of the law. The law isn't about self defense as much as it's about no penalizing legal gun owners. Without the passage of this law a student or staff member that was planning on going hunting after class would be breaking the law if they left their shotgun secured in their trunk. Or someone has a legal CC Permit, their only option without this law would be to leave their firearm at home on days when they had class or worked at the university. What if they commute from a long distance and kept a weapon in their car for safety, well without this law that would be illegal. My old employer used to ban weapons in employees vehicles, until someone pointed out a law in Kentucky that prohibited their ban. Or someone that has their concealed carry but doesn't always carry their gun. My Glock27 is usually one of two places, inside of my waste band or the center console of my car. Under the old law if I was going to class in North Carolina I would've had to have left my gun at home and went home to get it after class if I wanted it with me that day.
July 29, 201313 yr 18 year olds can purchase firearms Handguns? That's what the bill talks about which is why I went the route I did with that statement.
July 29, 201313 yr Handguns? That's what the bill talks about which is why I went the route I did with that statement.Kind of a funny thing in KY. A 18 year old can have possession of a handgun and can even wear it on their hip out in the open. They can not purchase a hand gun or ammo for a hand gun but they can posses one.
July 29, 201313 yr Kind of a funny thing in KY. A 18 year old can have possession of a handgun and can even wear it on their hip out in the open. They can not purchase a hand gun or ammo for a hand gun but they can posses one. Simply antiquated law. I assume that this was for heirlooms back in the day. Just a guess, I have no real knowledge of it's origin.
July 29, 201313 yr Simply antiquated law. I assume that this was for heirlooms back in the day. Just a guess, I have no real knowledge of it's origin. Could be, but it was discussed in my CCDW class.
July 29, 201313 yr What about 21-22 year olds, because of the group you mentioned those would be the only people who could legally have a gun on campus in a locked car not on their person. Also your above statement is contradictory to what you're trying to say. You're saying that the guns being closely available won't help if a shooting occurs and can't deter anything, I'm presuming the distant they'd have to travel to get to the gun. Yet on the other hand you're eliminating the distance as a variable when saying allowing guns on campus could easily lead to more shootings...... C'mon now. More guns accessible to students IMO increase the chances a school shooting by a student occurs. The gun is right there. All you gotta do is walk out to the car, load up, and go to work. If there was an ongoing shooting, the damage would more than likely already be done. A gun in the car would not help because people would already be dead before little Jimmy got to his car to grab his handgun and take the shooter down.
July 31, 201313 yr I am not advocating the wild west. But when a large area like a university is known to be a totally gun-free zone by law you know have an advertised shooting gallery for any crazy. The closest responsive force (armed police off campus) are likely minutes or tens of minutes away. The possibility of resistance from those already on campus at least gives a crazy shooter pause. Some schools have college police departments, which are armed. Still yet they could be minutes away when seconds are critical.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.