Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best. Baseball. Contract. Ever

Featured Replies

  • Replies 31
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too lazy to look it up, how old will Bonilla be when he collects his last check from the Mets in 2035?

 

Is there any question he will be the oldest person ever to draw an annual paycheck from a team?

 

How many years total (including his playing days) will he have drawn a major league paycheck?

 

Gotta be some kind of record on all the above.

 

Note: This is not the best baseball contract ever. It's the Best Contract Ever.

 

Or, the Dumbest Thing I've Ever Seen. The Mets guy who agreed to this deal needs to have his head examined. And whoever hired that guy needs to take a long walk on a short pier with Vinny and the boys.

Gotta disagree with you on best contract ever. That would be the two brothers who owned the ABA St. Louis team when they merged with the NBA. Last I saw for about a $1 million investment a couple years earlier, they've made something like $200 million and counting. Something about getting a share of the original ABA team's TV money.

Griffey will be collecting from the Reds for quite a while still....

Griffey will be collecting from the Reds for quite a while still....

 

http://reds.enquirer.com/2003/01/21/wwwred1a21.html

 

 

 

 

When the Reds signed Ken Griffey Jr. to a nine-year, $116.5 million contract in February 2000, it was hailed as a great thing for Cincinnati baseball because Griffey signed for under market value and more than half the money - $57.5 million - would be deferred.

 

The Reds would pay Griffey only $6 million up front each year. The other $6.5 million of his annual salary would be paid from 2009-2024 (his overall salary was higher than $12.5 million in 2000).

Deferred salaries no bonus for Reds

 

 

 

 

When the Reds signed Ken Griffey Jr. to a nine-year, $116.5 million contract in February 2000, it was hailed as a great thing for Cincinnati baseball because Griffey signed for under market value and more than half the money - $57.5 million - would be deferred.

 

The Reds would pay Griffey only $6 million up front each year. The other $6.5 million of his annual salary would be paid from 2009-2024 (his overall salary was higher than $12.5 million in 2000).

Yes, that.
Griffey will be collecting from the Reds for quite a while still....

 

 

Arroyo has some deferred money coming too.

Arroyo has some deferred money coming too.

 

$15M deferred without interest, paid through 2021, reducing present-day AAV to $28.9M

Gotta disagree with you on best contract ever. That would be the two brothers who owned the ABA St. Louis team when they merged with the NBA. Last I saw for about a $1 million investment a couple years earlier, they've made something like $200 million and counting. Something about getting a share of the original ABA team's TV money.

 

I had no idea on this one. If this is accurate, then it is the best contract ever.

As far as Bonilla's contract, v Griffey or Arroyo though. I'll take Bobby's contract everyday. That's a lot of money for a long time.

 

I had no idea on this one. If this is accurate, then it is the best contract ever.

 

I think John Y. Brown and his fellow Ky Colonels backers got a similar deal.

I think John Y. Brown and his fellow Ky Colonels backers got a similar deal.

 

Interesting. Wonder if they could have merged into the NBA, rather than taking the payout. Payout makes good business sense, but I'd hate to think the reason we don't have an NBA franchise is because a few really rich guys wanted to get even more rich. No idea if that's the case though.

 

When it comes to owners and the deals they get, I always feel uneasy. Take a dude like Mike Brown, who inherits a NFL team, employs nepotism to the nth degree and gets rewarded by the county buying him a stadium. Then he keeps falling backwards into more money thanks to the NFL revenue sharing. All for doing....what is it he's ever done again???

 

Subject for another thread though, and sorry for the random vent.

I think John Y. Brown and his fellow Ky Colonels backers got a similar deal.

 

If I recall correctly, Brown took a $3 million payout instead, so that he could purchase a controlling interest in the Buffalo Braves (which later became the Clippers under different ownership).

I think John Y. Brown and his fellow Ky Colonels backers got a similar deal.

 

No, John Y sold out for 3 or 4 million. I'll see if I can find something on it as it was in the news last fall. Something about international tv.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.