June 20, 201313 yr I'm really starting to become a big Dusty fan. Yes, there are still some in game decisions that make me shake my head, but any manager would have me doing that thru out the year. Dusty has made some great moves this year. Keeping Leake in the rotation, and Chapman as the closer is an obvious one. Dusty showed a lot of faith in Leake when a lot of people were wondering if he had the goods to even be a #5 starter. Leake has shown that he is way more than that. Keeping Cingrani up to help solidify the bullpen is another great choice made by Dusty. It looks like he has now decided to keep Cozart in the 7 hole no matter if a lefty or righty is pitching even if it means batting 3 lefties in a row. Dusty has won me over.
June 20, 201313 yr I'm always amazed at the 5th starter comments. Agree on Dusty. Also have to give kudos to management as a whole. What we have seen in the few years is night and day to prior owner and/or GMs.
June 20, 201313 yr Author ....anyone like to make the over/under on how long that lasts? Not saying he won't do something that will have me shaking my head, but Dusty is a good manager. The Reds can win a World Series with him at the helm.
June 20, 201313 yr Not saying he won't do something that will have me shaking my head, but Dusty is a good manager. The Reds can win a World Series with him at the helm. Why, he hasnt proven he can win a world series with other good teams.
June 20, 201313 yr I'm really starting to become a big Dusty fan. Yes, there are still some in game decisions that make me shake my head, but any manager would have me doing that thru out the year. Dusty has made some great moves this year. Keeping Leake in the rotation, and Chapman as the closer is an obvious one. Dusty showed a lot of faith in Leake when a lot of people were wondering if he had the goods to even be a #5 starter. Leake has shown that he is way more than that. Keeping Cingrani up to help solidify the bullpen is another great choice made by Dusty. It looks like he has now decided to keep Cozart in the 7 hole no matter if a lefty or righty is pitching even if it means batting 3 lefties in a row. Dusty has won me over. Agree with everything you said. Throughout the course of a 162 game season any manager is going to make dumb moves based on numbers or "going with their gut". They won't make sense to us. However, for the most part he knows how to manage. But, LRCW, you forgot one important thing in your post......
June 20, 201313 yr Author Agree with everything you said. Throughout the course of a 162 game season any manager is going to make dumb moves based on numbers or "going with their gut". They won't make sense to us. However, for the most part he knows how to manage. But, LRCW, you forgot one important thing in your post...... I forget a lot of things at my age. Help a guy out here.
June 20, 201313 yr I'm really starting to become a big Dusty fan. Yes, there are still some in game decisions that make me shake my head, but any manager would have me doing that thru out the year. Dusty has made some great moves this year. Keeping Leake in the rotation, and Chapman as the closer is an obvious one. Dusty showed a lot of faith in Leake when a lot of people were wondering if he had the goods to even be a #5 starter. Leake has shown that he is way more than that. Keeping Cingrani up to help solidify the bullpen is another great choice made by Dusty. It looks like he has now decided to keep Cozart in the 7 hole no matter if a lefty or righty is pitching even if it means batting 3 lefties in a row. Dusty has won me over. Lastly, Crash is correct and I should have never doubted him. There, I fixed it for you.
June 20, 201313 yr Author Why, he hasnt proven he can win a world series with other good teams. Was Bobby Cox a good manager?
June 20, 201313 yr Not saying he won't do something that will have me shaking my head, but Dusty is a good manager. The Reds can win a World Series with him at the helm. OK, here is a paradigm shift. LRCW praising Dusty and I am going to question Dusty's ability. As a regular season manager, Dusty won me over in the first couple years he was here. I thought it was a bad hire by the Reds but I became a Dusty fan. I think he is great at player communication, managing his roster for the 162 game grind and getting the most out of his players. HOWEVER, I have serious questions about Dusty in playoff mode. You have to be willing to change what you do as manager in the playoffs. It is about winning every game. You can't worry about managing egos. You make the moves you have to make to win that game and if it means you sit a player or make a player bunt when he wants to hit or you put a starter in the pen or Chapman comes into a game in the 8th to get a win ... whatever it takes to win, you do it. Can Dusty do that? Is he so loyal to his players that he will hesitate to make tough playoff moves to avoid "showing a player up"? That is my concern. I have complete confidence in Dusty getting the Reds to the playoffs. I have doubts about him as a playoff manager.
June 20, 201313 yr Was Bobby Cox a good manager? IMO Good sure, great no, all the talent Atlanta had all those years and only one WS win, in 5 appearances. Thats not Great IMO.
June 20, 201313 yr Author OK, here is a paradigm shift. LRCW praising Dusty and I am going to question Dusty's ability. As a regular season manager, Dusty won me over in the first couple years he was here. I thought it was a bad hire by the Reds but I became a Dusty fan. I think he is great at player communication, managing his roster for the 162 game grind and getting the most out of his players. HOWEVER, I have serious questions about Dusty in playoff mode. You have to be willing to change what you do as manager in the playoffs. It is about winning every game. You can't worry about managing egos. You make the moves you have to make to win that game and if it means you sit a player or make a player bunt when he wants to hit or you put a starter in the pen or Chapman comes into a game in the 8th to get a win ... whatever it takes to win, you do it. Can Dusty do that? Is he so loyal to his players that he will hesitate to make tough playoff moves to avoid "showing a player up"? That is my concern. I have complete confidence in Dusty getting the Reds to the playoffs. I have doubts about him as a playoff manager. He sat Rolen in the playoffs last year didn't he?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.