Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who are the current top ten teams and pitchers in the 9th region?

Featured Replies

Some of the Pitchers Lawhorn has faced when pitching against Cov Cath, Ryle, Conner, Beechwood etc.

Ganns

Maines

Smiley

See

Schuman just to name a few. Looks to be pretty good competition and some teams that a few on here are picking to go to the regionals and win the regions.

 

To break it down even more, here are the games he started and I think you will see the competition wasn't all cupcakes.

Also be noted that the most runs he has given up in any game was 2.

Lloyd

Ryle

Beechwood

Dixie

Conner

Cov Cath

Boone Co

 

If you were the coach, would you throw him in the district game?

  • Replies 42
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were the coach, would you throw him in the district game?

 

If I were the coach, here is exactly what I would do.

 

I would start Dunn and if he needs to be relieved I would relieve him with Lawhorn.

 

Here is why.

 

Dunn is a true starter and needs a longer time to warm up. Lawhorn last year was used mostly in relief situations and did a great job, he also doesn't need as long to get ready. Dunn has the nastiest pitches in the area if you ask me, and when he is on is unhittable.

 

But I would definitely only use those 2 pitchers if I had the choice.

 

Also I would use Lawhorn in relief because he doesn't throw as hard as Dunn and is more of a crafty pitcher and can go more innings into a game if needed in case it was a tie and going into extra innings etc.

But that's just me, I have no say in it :sssh:

 

Start Dunn

Lawhorn in for relief.

 

I'm also very superstitious when it comes to sports lol, so I hope all this talk about Lawhorn I didn't just jinx him the rest of the way :lol2:

I agree with what your saying Hellbird, but one thing sticks out to me if Dunn is on the mound. The Defense is not as good and I say that because of the switching of multiple players on the infield. When the infield is Hawthorn/Setser, Shumacher, Blank and Dunn, I will GUARANTEE the errors are much lower barring the one Ryle game. When Dunn steps on the mound the defense gets weakend by taking players out of their positions. Perfect example would have to be this past weekend where there might have been some misques, but also some really really good plays defensively. And on another note......FUSSINGER IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN CATCH DUNN CONSISTANTLY, NO ONE ELSE on this team, and it showed in the Ryle game bad. Wake Up America!!!! Ok......got my two cents worth....lol!!!

 

If I were the coach, here is exactly what I would do.

 

I would start Dunn and if he needs to be relieved I would relieve him with Lawhorn.

 

Here is why.

 

Dunn is a true starter and needs a longer time to warm up. Lawhorn last year was used mostly in relief situations and did a great job, he also doesn't need as long to get ready. Dunn has the nastiest pitches in the area if you ask me, and when he is on is unhittable.

 

But I would definitely only use those 2 pitchers if I had the choice.

 

Also I would use Lawhorn in relief because he doesn't throw as hard as Dunn and is more of a crafty pitcher and can go more innings into a game if needed in case it was a tie and going into extra innings etc.

But that's just me, I have no say in it :sssh:

 

Start Dunn

Lawhorn in for relief.

 

I'm also very superstitious when it comes to sports lol, so I hope all this talk about Lawhorn I didn't just jinx him the rest of the way :lol2:

I agree with what your saying Hellbird, but one thing sticks out to me if Dunn is on the mound. The Defense is not as good and I say that because of the switching of multiple players on the infield. When the infield is Hawthorn/Setser, Shumacher, Blank and Dunn, I will GUARANTEE the errors are much lower barring the one Ryle game. When Dunn steps on the mound the defense gets weakend by taking players out of their positions. Perfect example would have to be this past weekend where there might have been some misques, but also some really really good plays defensively. And on another note......FUSSINGER IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN CATCH DUNN CONSISTANTLY, NO ONE ELSE on this team, and it showed in the Ryle game bad. Wake Up America!!!! Ok......got my two cents worth....lol!!!

Very true about the infield, but I'd rather have Dunn and Lawhorn pitch in that game and play McMahan at 3rd than have Lawhorn and another pitcher come in and relieve. Dunn and Lawhorn are their best option if 2 pitchers are needed and Dunn as you know would not be given enough time to get ready if he was to come in in relief. He would probably go from 3rd to the hump with no warm up and I think he pitches much better when fully warmed up. I think the Ryle game will be too close too depend on the starter going the entire game if it goes into extra innings.

Being a Cooper fan here obviously, I would like to know when you have seen the Cooper pitchers? Reading your past post on here, it looks like you stay in one district for the most part.

 

I have seen every team in the regions best pitcher at least one time some twice.I will say I expected a lot more from Cooper this year.I had them my pre season favorite in that district.Not sure what happened there.Without a doubt the 5 I listed above are the cream of the crop but as I said its a weak crop this year.

I would start Dunn as well. Ryle was waayyyy late on Dunn's fastball and they had only mustered two unearned runs through five and Ryle is solid hitting throughout their lineup. Lawhorn has been very good as well but in the Ryle game he pitched they hit the ball harder off of him which helped in the errors. Dunn has thrown well against Ryle over the years if my memory serves me right but Cooper just hasn't hit enough. My feeling is the balls Ryle puts in play will be hit less harder against Dunn than Lawhorn. As mentioned, Lawhorn is quicker to get ready to relieve as well if needed.

 

My only issue is what you do at third. I would probably go with McMahon and leave Schumacher at 2nd and have Dunn cover any bunts on third base side as he is athletic enough.

Actually 1st and 2nd. Ryle has quite a few more students than Beechwood. 6A vs 1A. They should wax them every time every year.

That is a crazy statement,"wax them every time..." Any kid can go to Beechwood, they are an independent district. Just like all the "private" schools. Ryle is the biggest school in nky. I guess they should wax everyone all the time.

I've seen that Jones kid appear several times on this site. How old is he? Height? Velocity? Potential?

 

I know a little bit about him...

* Sophomore

* 6'

* 80-82

* Good potential. Aggressive - throws strikes and will throw his curve (more of a slurve) at any count. Needs to develop a consistent 3rd pitch. Won 6 games as a frosh for the varsity and is 4-2 this year (including a 2 hitter CG v. Cov Cath).

hja.........I feel confident that you, hellbird and I are on the same page. I think we can all look at each others comments and see where each other is coming from. You do have to admit that there were some pretty fantastic and heads up defense.

 

I would start Dunn as well. Ryle was waayyyy late on Dunn's fastball and they had only mustered two unearned runs through five and Ryle is solid hitting throughout their lineup. Lawhorn has been very good as well but in the Ryle game he pitched they hit the ball harder off of him which helped in the errors. Dunn has thrown well against Ryle over the years if my memory serves me right but Cooper just hasn't hit enough. My feeling is the balls Ryle puts in play will be hit less harder against Dunn than Lawhorn. As mentioned, Lawhorn is quicker to get ready to relieve as well if needed.

 

My only issue is what you do at third. I would probably go with McMahon and leave Schumacher at 2nd and have Dunn cover any bunts on third base side as he is athletic enough.

That is a crazy statement,"wax them every time..." Any kid can go to Beechwood, they are an independent district. Just like all the "private" schools. Ryle is the biggest school in nky. I guess they should wax everyone all the time.

 

Huge size difference between the two, and in baseball 9 players on the field. Ryle should wax Beechwood every time. Schools their own size not as much. Plus isn't this the Ryle team that like never loses to anybody around here from the freshman on up?

Huge size difference between the two, and in baseball 9 players on the field. Ryle should wax Beechwood every time. Schools their own size not as much. Plus isn't this the Ryle team that like never loses to anybody around here from the freshman on up?

 

Ive always told my wife size doesnt matter, so I wont go there. I will say that BW starts 3 frosh who hit 1,3,4 in the lineup. Its not unusual for them to have 4 frosh and 2 sophs on field. That to me is more a reason a team like Ryle should beat them handily.

Bottom line, with Suchanek on the hill, and BW's one through 5 hitters, they can beat anyone. He has several out pitches and can throw them from different arm angles. You guys who have taught high level pitching know how hard that and how effective it is. They may have freshman, but gentleman they are real players, more than impressed me. Combs is 3rd in the area in homers and Stringer looks closer to 21 than 14. Didn't Suchanek throw 89 mph at a PBR Showcase from the outfield? They only have 2 more losses than Ryle. Go ahead and over look them fellas, I'm not

That is a crazy statement,"wax them every time..." Any kid can go to Beechwood, they are an independent district. Just like all the "private" schools. Ryle is the biggest school in nky. I guess they should wax everyone all the time.

 

Here we go again. "Any Kid" cant go to Beechwood. The "independent"has nothing to do with it. Kids can choose to leave Beechwood and go to any school district that accepts tuition students. They just don't and that's what upsets you all on the losing end. The only restrictions I am aware of in Kenton and Boone are self imposed. In fact it's my understanding that within Kenton County school district students can apply to transfer within district without paying tuition.

 

People have no clue about Beechwood and how it draws students in. We have more non athlete tuition students than athletes. Many of them start coming to Beechwood long before high school. You don't just walk in and say my child is coming here. Students have to test in as a Freshman. There are limited tuition spots and because of testing, many go to non athletes.

 

As far as I'm aware, there are only a few tuition baseball players. With only one of those being a special or standout player.

 

I can understand being frustrated with the situation, but don't pretend it's some sort of unfair advantage that other schools and districts couldn't create for themselves.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.