NKY JV Tournaments Brackets

Really? Is that a tourney rule or new rule? I have seen plenty of Sunday high school games I also don't understand why it has to be completed before Varsity districts start. I hate rules that seem to be there for no valid reason. I'm anxious to here one.

I am told that under KHSAA rules the high school regular season officially ends Satruday night because there are some districts that will start district playoff on Sunday. There can be no games, other than district playoffs games, as of Sunday without a waiver from KHSAA. Don't ask me why it should affect JV games - I don't have a clue and don't agree with it.

Something I did learn tonight that I found interesting is that NKY is one of the very few - perhaps the only - area in the state that even holds an end-of-season JV Regional tourney. Even if they were to get a waiver from KHSAA to play on Sunday, the Conner/Ryle winner will have an issue because, barring some special blessing from the Superintendent :rolleyes:, Boone County schools cannot play any games on Sunday (in any sport). Now all these kids play on summer teams in various sports (basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, softball, etc......) that play on Sundays and Kenton County doesn't have an issue with their school teams playing on Sundays, but it's a big, bad, evil no-no in Boone County. Makes zero sense.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am told that under KHSAA rules the high school regular season officially ends Satruday night because there are some districts that will start district playoff on Sunday. There can be no games, other than district playoffs games, as of Sunday without a waiver from KHSAA. Don't ask me why it should affect JV games - I don't have a clue and don't agree with it.

Something I did learn tonight that I found interesting is that NKY is one of the very few - perhaps the only - area in the state that even holds an end-of-season JV Regional tourney. Even if they were to get a waiver from KHSAA to play on Sunday, the Conner/Ryle winner will have an issue because, barring some special blessing from the Superintendent :rolleyes:, Boone County schools cannot play any games on Sunday (in any sport). Now all these kids play on summer teams in various sports (basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, softball, etc......) that play on Sundays and Kenton County doesn't have an issue with their school teams playing on Sundays, but it's a big, bad, evil no-no in Boone County. Makes zero sense.

Thanks for the detail. It's a shame that so many administrators think its about them. Should be shooting to get these guys as many games as possible, not restricting them.

That said, it sounds like there's a small chance of squeezing this in. This is a spot where Freedom Field would help. Unfortunately, I think this is the Freedom's opening weekend.

Thanks for the detail. It's a shame that so many administrators think its about them. Should be shooting to get these guys as many games as possible, not restricting them.

That said, it sounds like there's a small chance of squeezing this in. This is a spot where Freedom Field would help. Unfortunately, I think this is the Freedom's opening weekend.

Boone County does this for religious reasons. Hard to argue with that. Usually religion trumps sports in most places. Not always though.

Boone County does this for religious reasons. Hard to argue with that. Usually religion trumps sports in most places. Not always though.

So it's wrong to play games after church? And isn't there a separation of church and state issue that applies here? Boone County schools prevent their kids from playing sports on Sunday because they have decreed that church comes first? (It does, btw - no issue there - but public schools should not be dictating such). I guess Kenton County isn't nearly as religious since their teams can make use of Sundays. I understand not scheduling events regularly on Sunday, but I believe there needs to be exceptions that allow teams to play during special situations - tournaments, when bad weather has forced no other options, etc... Games can always be started after 1:00 p.m. to give familes time to attend church.

Ryle beats Conner in the West semi-final by a score of 17-3. Tough game to end the season for Conner, who is about 100x better than what they showed today. Conner had a ton of errors and walks today that allowed the Raiders to run away with this one. Congrats to the Cougars and Coach Aylor on a fine season. And big time congrats to the Raiders, who have pushed their season record to 25-6 and advanced to the championship game agaisnt Beechwood tonight at Dixie at 7:00 (weather permitting).

Actually, Freedom's field is open on Sunday and Clint Brown has offered to let it be used for the championship if needed, however, waivers would need to be gotten from both KHSSA to play past Saturday and from Boone County Superintendent for Ryle to play on Sunday. My guess is the second waiver will be the more difficult to secure. :ohbrother:

As expected, an absolutely thrilling championship game between the Raiders and Tigers. Both teams played their hearts out and displayed some excellent baseball. These are two very good and very evenly matched teams. If they played 10 times, there's a good chance they'd split 5 and 5. This game just happened to be one of Ryle's 5. Neither one of these teams would ever run-rule the other - too much solid pitching and defense for that to happen. Any claim otherwise is silly.

As for the game, Ryle went up early 4-0 and looked to be in control, but Beechwood stormed back in the 4th with 4 runs of their own. Both starting pitchers (Ziegelmeyer for Ryle and Hyde for Beechwood) pitched solidly, but the fact of the matter is both these teams can also hit and they each gave up a few hits and earned runs. But overall, they both did their job and kept their team in the game. The teams exchanged zeros in the 5th and 6th innings and Ryle blanked Beechwood in the top of the 7th. Lonnemann in relief for Ryle was lights out, as he's pretty much been all year. (For the season, Lonnemann had 32K's and 1 walk - absolutely unheard of at this level). The bottom of the 7th was set for some big-time drama. Ryle's first hitter was retired and the second hitter (Ast) walked on what was admittedly a close ball four. Dorne, Ryle's fastest player, pinch ran for Ast. Ziegelmeyer had a long at-bat against Beechwood's reliever, fouling off numerous pitches, before eventually scorching a shot off the left field fence. Dorne made it all the way around and scored. There was a play at the plate, but it was not really close. Ryle walks off with a repeat championship, while Beechwood is left knowing they are an excellent club and definitely championship-caliber themselves. The fans saw some first-rate baseball in this one.

Congrats to Ryle Head JV Coach Jim Demler, who snagged his 6th regional championship and and 4th in the past 7 years. Ryle's 2013 team was also his 8th straight team with 20 or more wins. They actually tied the JV school record with 26 wins (26-6 overall record). The man knows how to coach - and frankly, can still pitch with just about anyone half his age! He is, however, an extremely lucky hitter. :sssh: Any 3-run HR he is alleged to have hit off his assistant coach in an intersquad game was pure, unadulterated, blind luck. :lol2:

Nice recap. This was a very good/competitive game. Two good teams/programs !

I would point out that Hyde for Beechwood only lasted 1 2/3rds and gave up 4 runs before being relieved by Alex Miller. Miller pitched the balance of the game and only gave up 2 or 3 hits including the game winner in the bottom of the 7th. The last at bat was a battle (double digit pitches, numerous foul balls including a dropped foul ball by the catcher albeit of major league height) Not sure why but Miller had his two best outings this year against the Raiders. Just a week prior to this matchup he pitched a complete game 3 hitter vs Ryle losing 1-0 in that one. In 12+ innings vs Ryle his line is 5 or 6 hits and 2 earned runs.

Again, Excellent game by both. Congrats to Ryle !

I would point out that Hyde for Beechwood only lasted 1 2/3rds and gave up 4 runs before being relieved by Alex Miller. Miller pitched the balance of the game and only gave up 2 or 3 hits including the game winner in the bottom of the 7th. The last at bat was a battle (double digit pitches, numerous foul balls including a dropped foul ball by the catcher albeit of major league height) Not sure why but Miller had his two best outings this year against the Raiders. Just a week prior to this matchup he pitched a complete game 3 hitter vs Ryle losing 1-0 in that one. In 12+ innings vs Ryle his line is 5 or 6 hits and 2 earned runs.

I didn't remember him getting yanked so early. So that being said, then Coach DW was indeed correct in saying that Hyde got "roughed" up a bit. Yes, Miller did a fantastic relief job. And he also pitched an outstanding game against Ryle two weeks ago. He has the makings of being a very good pitcher - great control, mixes pitches, and speeds, nice composure. Soon as he picks up a couple miles on his fastball, he is going to make some noise at the varsity level.

Hyde is a good pitcher, but clearly Miller is better against Ryle. Pretty good movement and a decent Curve Ball. I won't take anything away from Hyde. It's a matter of the right man for the Job. Coaches probably should have started Miller given his outing against Ryle just a few weeks earlier. I think Miller is better against Ryle because they are Fast Ball hitters. I think Miller has some great movement on his off-speed stuff. Certainly good placement.

Not sure how you call that a "Dropped Foul Ball". Had he made the catch, we would be on here saying ... "after an amazing foul catch". I was in Left field near the Bull Pen and it disappeared for me. That ball went at least 50 ft above the lights. Major League height without Major League lighting. In the 6 or 7 BW JV games I saw this year, I don't recall more than 1 Error. In fact, I couldn't believe when I heard that he hasn't been playing Varsity. If any team could use some catching help, its the BW varsity. In 5 BW varsity games I saw, I think they averaged at least 2 passed-balls per game. Does anyone know what grade the JV catcher is in?

Hyde is a good pitcher, but clearly Miller is better against Ryle. Pretty good movement and a decent Curve Ball. I won't take anything away from Hyde. It's a matter of the right man for the Job. Coaches probably should have started Miller given his outing against Ryle just a few weeks earlier. I think Miller is better against Ryle because they are Fast Ball hitters. I think Miller has some great movement on his off-speed stuff. Certainly good placement.

Not sure how you call that a "Dropped Foul Ball". Had he made the catch, we would be on here saying ... "after an amazing foul catch". I was in Left field near the Bull Pen and it disappeared for me. That ball went at least 50 ft above the lights. Major League height without Major League lighting. In the 6 or 7 BW JV games I saw this year, I don't recall more than 1 Error. In fact, I couldn't believe when I heard that he hasn't been playing Varsity. If any team could use some catching help, its the BW varsity. In 5 BW varsity games I saw, I think they averaged at least 2 passed-balls per game. Does anyone know what grade the JV catcher is in?

Carter Burns is the catcher(junior) I. 100% agree with your assessment . Using the word dropped was a poor choice of words on my part. That was a difficult play for any catcher at any level. I must have been standing next to you on that play. In hindsight miller/pitcher may have been able to call him off and make a play?

Speaking of moving up to the varsity level... Any Ryle JVers moving up to varsity for districts or regionals?

I don't think so. I don't think there was any room on the varsity roster to bring up anyone. I'm not sure of the exact number, but they are capped how many they can dress in post-season play.