Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region BOK Center Big Floor/Arena: What team does it help?

Featured Replies

Let's hear it even though we are probably all wrong.

 

What teams are helped/hurt by the college length floor, the big arena shooting background, the flashing floor lighting, the spread out crowd, the multiple three point lines?

I don't think it will affect any team all that much. It's been at BOKC for a few years now, and usually the same teams have been there. So its nothing new at this point.

I know some think it helps a team like Holmes but I don't get the logic. Yes, the floor is longer and yes it's wider but the D doesn't have to come out any farther than normal to guard. I could see if your D relies on traps on the sideline to get stops and get breaks going where that could hurt but that's not that common. Just guard like you normally do and the floor length doesn't help any team IMO.

I know some think it helps a team like Holmes but I don't get the logic. Yes, the floor is longer and yes it's wider but the D doesn't have to come out any farther than normal to guard. I could see if your D relies on traps on the sideline to get stops and get breaks going where that could hurt but that's not that common. Just guard like you normally do and the floor length doesn't help any team IMO.

 

I believe they are both 50' wide. The big difference is the extra 10' of length and the deep and cavernous shooting sight-lines.

 

While anything can happen, I like teams that are in great shape and / or have depth. Wind in the 2nd half could be an issue.

The longer floor helps Holmes fast break. The difficulty with outside shooting helps the team with a good inside game such as Ncc. The concession prices help Nku or whoever reaps the profit of $9 cokes and $7 waters.

The longer floor helps Holmes fast break. .

 

Please elaborate.

The longer floor helps Holmes fast break. The difficulty with outside shooting helps the team with a good inside game such as Ncc. The concession prices help Nku or whoever reaps the profit of $9 cokes and $7 waters.

 

That's why I bring a beverage in with me, strategically placed of course. :lol:

That's why I bring a beverage in with me, strategically placed of course. :lol:

 

Is that a water bottle or are you REALLY glad to see me, sir?

Please elaborate.

 

In a race that only goes 5' I like my chances of keeping up with a faster player... in a race that goes 500' not so much.

In a race that only goes 5' I like my chances of keeping up with a faster player... in a race that goes 500' not so much.

 

If Bolden is on the break it doesn't matter. He's the only one.

You would think that a bigger floor would benefit teams with good guards. The top 4 teams in the region aren't slacking at the guard position.

The bigs have to run a little bit more.

I think the big issue is going to be the 16th Region officials who call games tighter than the 9th. If they call the handchecking then there will be a lot of fouls in this region. Handchecking is not a priority in the 9th region.

  • Author
You would think that a bigger floor would benefit teams with good guards. The top 4 teams in the region aren't slacking at the guard position.

The bigs have to run a little bit more.

I think the big issue is going to be the 16th Region officials who call games tighter than the 9th. If they call the handchecking then there will be a lot of fouls in this region. Handchecking is not a priority in the 9th region.

 

Excellent point on the officials. Fans won't know which ones to yell at properly. Coaches won't be able to tell which ones are the good one you can talk to to get the other two to stop making stupid calls. There will be walking calls where everyone in the arena goes "What?"

Bigger for won't make a difference. Space behind the backboard for shooters sometimes takes adjustments. Not many have played that much in wide open spaces.

You would think that a bigger floor would benefit teams with good guards. The top 4 teams in the region aren't slacking at the guard position.

The bigs have to run a little bit more.

I think the big issue is going to be the 16th Region officials who call games tighter than the 9th. If they call the handchecking then there will be a lot of fouls in this region. Handchecking is not a priority in the 9th region.

 

This is what worries me the most. Different regions officiate with different styles and I've never been a fan of the 16th region.

 

I'm in the camp that doesn't think the bigger floor will matter much. We shall see.

Please elaborate.

 

I believe the floor is 10 feet longer. NCC did a good job getting back and stopping Holmes fast break in the first game. Holmes didn't get much out of transition. If NCC can do this again, their inside game advantages will outweigh what Holmes gets out of transition.

 

I usually like the bigger lineup in the big arena because they get more inside shots. Outside shooting is tougher in the big arena because it takes a bit longer to focus on the rim. It's harder to find the set point with the big back drop as opposed to having a wall directly behind the basket in high school gyms.

 

The extra 10 feet could hurt NCC if Holmes beats them down the court and gets some easy buckets. The big guys could be less effective with the extra running needed to cover against transition over the course of the game. I don't think Holmes or NCC will shoot anywhere near the percentages they shot in the first game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.