Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coaching trees

Featured Replies

The other thread made me think of something. 1 way people measure college and NFL coaches is by their coaching tree. You look at all the people that either played or coached for a guy and then went on to become a successful head coach in his own right.

 

I will start with the first one that came to my mind and that is Ron Finley. Coach at Russel co and then Campbellsville University. There are so many Ron Finley disciples out there some people have begun calling them the Campbellsville mafia.

Can some of you guys help me fill out his tree and start other trees?

The other thread made me think of something. 1 way people measure college and NFL coaches is by their coaching tree. You look at all the people that either played or coached for a guy and then went on to become a successful head coach in his own right.

 

I will start with the first one that came to my mind and that is Ron Finley. Coach at Russel co and then Campbellsville University. There are so many Ron Finley disciples out there some people have begun calling them the Campbellsville mafia.

Can some of you guys help me fill out his tree and start other trees?

 

Ron Finley was a great coach. (And as a Boyle County alum it's painful to say that.)

 

I don't know his tree but one person whose tree might be interesting to build is Boyle's current coach, Larry French.

 

Off the top of my head:

 

At Mercer County he mentored Chuck Smith, David Buchanan at Mason County, Chris Pardue (I think) at Mercer County.

 

At Boyle I believe the current coach at Bourbon County was under French.

 

The off shoots of Smith would include Neal Brown.

 

I'm sure there are more capable minds to fill in the other blanks for that tree.

As a Former Fighting Tiger and current assistant coach I am one of the proud Mafia Members. The state is covered with CU guys. The HC's at PRP, Male, Christian County, Allen County Scottsville, LaRue County, Adair County are all CU alums. The DC's from Male and Highlands are CU guys, Mayfield and Lafayette's OC's are also CU guys. The University currently has 2 of my teammates on staff. Coach Finley continues to impact young people through his former players. The Director of Football Operations at South Florida is also a teammate of mine from Campbellsville University. Roll Tigers

As a Former Fighting Tiger and current assistant coach I am one of the proud Mafia Members. The state is covered with CU guys. The HC's at PRP, Male, Christian County, Allen County Scottsville, LaRue County, Adair County are all CU alums. The DC's from Male and Highlands are CU guys, Mayfield and Lafayette's OC's are also CU guys. The University currently has 2 of my teammates on staff. Coach Finley continues to impact young people through his former players. The Director of Football Operations at South Florida is also a teammate of mine from Campbellsville University. Roll Tigers

 

Well said!

 

Brent Thompson @ North Hardin and Chris Engstrand now @ Green County are mafia members as well.

Well said!

 

Brent Thompson @ North Hardin and Chris Engstrand now @ Green County are mafia members as well.

 

 

Those two are also TFS (Tony Franklin System) Mafia.

I forgot about Brent and Chris... I was the DC at Male this past season and will be moving to Tn to coach at Northeast High, my alma mater and will be the DC there. Going to Campbellsville was life changing for me.

Ron Finley was a great coach. (And as a Boyle County alum it's painful to say that.)

 

I don't know his tree but one person whose tree might be interesting to build is Boyle's current coach, Larry French.

 

Off the top of my head:

 

At Mercer County he mentored Chuck Smith, David Buchanan at Mason County, Chris Pardue (I think) at Mercer County.

 

At Boyle I believe the current coach at Bourbon County was under French.

 

The off shoots of Smith would include Neal Brown.

 

I'm sure there are more capable minds to fill in the other blanks for that tree.

 

To add one more level to this:

 

John Buchanan Boyle/Mercer:

Ed Rall (Boyle)

Larry French (Mercer)

 

 

Larry French:

Chuck Smith

Larry Mofield (Meade County)

David Buchanan (Mason)

Clay Clevenger (Danville)

Brad Hood (Allen County)

 

 

Chuck Smith:

Chris Pardue (Boyle/ Mercer)

Brett Burnett (Ft. Knox/ Etown/ Pelham AL)

Perry Thomas (Campbellsville U)

John Hodge (Bourbon)

Neal Brown (UK)

Tom Posey (Powell)

 

Chris Pardue:

ShaDon Brown (Wofford)

 

 

ShaDon Brown:

Kyle Singleton (Rowan)

 

David Buchanan:

Shawn Thompson (Iroquois/ Ft. Knox)

Brian Washington (Paris- if we are counting position players- I definitely count Brian!)

 

 

 

I am sure there are others. If you know of all of Coach Rall's assistants, add them in there.

To add one more level to this:

 

John Buchanan Boyle/Mercer:

Ed Rall (Boyle)

Larry French (Mercer)

 

 

Larry French:

Chuck Smith

Larry Mofield (Meade County)

David Buchanan (Mason)

Clay Clevenger (Danville)

Brad Hood (Allen County)

 

 

Chuck Smith:

Chris Pardue (Boyle/ Mercer)

Brett Burnett (Ft. Knox/ Etown/ Pelham AL)

Perry Thomas (Campbellsville U)

John Hodge (Bourbon)

Neal Brown (UK)

Tom Posey (Powell)

 

Chris Pardue:

ShaDon Brown (Wofford)

 

 

ShaDon Brown:

Kyle Singleton (Rowan)

 

David Buchanan:

Shawn Thompson (Iroquois/ Ft. Knox)

Brian Washington (Paris- if we are counting position players- I definitely count Brian!)

 

 

 

I am sure there are others. If you know of all of Coach Rall's assistants, add them in there.

 

Add Jack Robertson (Mercer) to Coach French.

Sam Harp Tree

 

Mark Peach- HC @ Anderson County (played for Coach Harp @ Anderson County)

 

The following all played for Sam Harp @ Danville:

 

Clay Clevenger- HC @ Danville

Chase Harp- O.C @ D2 West Georgia

Shadon Brown- DB coach @ Wofford

Nathan Fuqua- LB coach @ Wofford

John Gray- Asst. Coach @ Union College

Josh Jaggers- HC @ LaRue County

Jeremy Vaught- Asst. Coach @ Danville

Ernest Dunn- Asst. Coach @ Danville

Brian Rowland- Asst. Coach @ Mercer County

Lee Phillips- Asst. Coach @ Danville

 

Another little interesting tidbit about those names in the 2nd list; not only are they all current college/high school asistants and HS Head Coaches, but they ALL played in college, too. As in, they finished out all 4-5 years of playing college ball at their respective schools as well.

To add one more level to this:

 

John Buchanan Boyle/Mercer:

Ed Rall (Boyle)

Larry French (Mercer)

 

 

Larry French:

Chuck Smith

Larry Mofield (Meade County)

David Buchanan (Mason)

Clay Clevenger (Danville)

Brad Hood (Allen County)

 

 

Chuck Smith:

Chris Pardue (Boyle/ Mercer)

Brett Burnett (Ft. Knox/ Etown/ Pelham AL)

Perry Thomas (Campbellsville U)

John Hodge (Bourbon)

Neal Brown (UK)

Tom Posey (Powell)

 

Chris Pardue:

ShaDon Brown (Wofford)

 

 

ShaDon Brown:

Kyle Singleton (Rowan)

 

David Buchanan:

Shawn Thompson (Iroquois/ Ft. Knox)

Brian Washington (Paris- if we are counting position players- I definitely count Brian!)

 

 

 

I am sure there are others. If you know of all of Coach Rall's assistants, add them in there.

 

 

Greg Young - Hamilton, Ohio (I can't remember if he coached there or was just administration)

Bill Ware - @ Jeffersonville, Indiana years ago but lost track now.

 

Only ones I can think of that went off to other coaching gigs.

Forgot to mention Mark Peach- Anderson County, my HC the last 2 years of my career. I still keep in touch with him and he has several CU guys on staff. I feel fortunate just to be a part of this big family. ACS,MALE,CHRISTIAN CO,ANDERSON CO,PRP have all played for a state title at least once over the past 3 years.

Brian Wigglesworth coaching at Collins. He coaches the line on both sides of the ball and is doing an amazing job building that program is a CU guy!

Anyone out there want to try to do Homer Rice's coaching tree?

Homer Rice /Owen Hauck/Fred Bernier/ Rick Thompson /Dave Trosper / Bryson Warner would be the Boone County line plus start of Bellevue one.

He is the GOAT.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.