Pendleton County

Baller

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure who the horses are dd734 is referring to. The last I remember Pendleton County having any "horses" was the 04-05 and 05-06 seasons. Mason Monroe would be considered a horse but PC has had average to slightly above average talent since then that overachieved year in and year out with Coach Simms. I loved watching his teams overachieve and it was fun watching the last 3 years when they won 3 districts in a row.

It's all relative. Do you think the Wildcats this year, were as big, strong and physical as teams the past couple of years? I don't. Moore was the only big man they had this year, but I wouldn't consider him a hard nose physical a player. Monroe is a great scorer with out doubt.

Small rural county schools such as Pendleton don't have teams like the 04-06 teams very often, and that team was a little orchestrated. I'd say Pendleton does as well as any small rural schools though putting talent on the floor.

I still scratch my head that the Super forced out Simms after the success he had. Whether its overachieving or just the fact that he had kids that would run through the wall for him, they guy was good for Pendleton County. Everyone knows that Strong wanted his own guy and it came back to bite him and the entire school in the butt. How unfortunate for a great kid and player in Monroe not to have his same high school coach for his senior year just because of the political ring and weight being thrown around in it.

You have to remember this years team consisted of seven senoirs with only one having alot of varsity experience. Consider the coaching change and the injuries[Antrobus missed about seven weeks,Applemans Heart conditon and Moore fighting back problems all year] and they still finished with a 500 season. Sure it probably is dissapointing to them but they are a great bunch of kids that played through a whole lot and a tough schedule.

Pendleton County has some great assistant coaches. Would hate to see them leave. But I was shocked Cravens was hired in first place. Heard him and superintendent are big buddies.

If I'm not mistaken Supt. Strong made some controversial coaching changes when he was at Campbell Cty.

You have to remember this years team consisted of seven senoirs with only one having alot of varsity experience. Consider the coaching change and the injuries[Antrobus missed about seven weeks,Applemans Heart conditon and Moore fighting back problems all year] and they still finished with a 500 season. Sure it probably is dissapointing to them but they are a great bunch of kids that played through a whole lot and a tough schedule.

Curious here, but how much of an impact did the injury to the Antrobus kid and Appleman kid have on the team?

I agree with most of what you said except maybe the tough schedule. Excluding the out of state schools, PC had a record of 13-11. Of those 13 wins, only two(Augusta and Mason Co.) had winning records. The won-loss record of those 13 schools was 129-243. Pendleton did play 7 teams with 20 0r more wins, defeating only Augusta.Interpret this info any way you want. I'm not sure Coach Simms would have done better with this year's edition of the Wildcats than Coach Cravens did.Nothing against Coach Cravens but personally i would have liked to have seen Simms have the chance.

Althought Holmes, Cov Cath, and Cooper (all teams capable of winning the 9th) were on the schedule, teams such as Lexington Catholic, Bryan Station, Henry Clay, etc were left off and replaced with Calvary Christian, Paris, and Dayton. With the strength of Coach Simms schedule he may not have had a great regular season record but his teams were always prepared for post season play.

I think it is tough when a new coach comes in and isn't able to pick his own staff. I think it was awkward for him and his assisants.

It looked like the assistants were not giving/sharing input with the head coach during the season. Every game I watched this year the assisants were just setting there and not talking. I also thought it was strange

when you have Monroe who I thought was one of the top point guards in the region not playing point guard this year. He was moved to the 2G position most of the time and only bringing the ball up only when they were being pressured. The injuries this year definitely didn't help matters either. The seniors basically had to learn a new system and a new way of doing things than the past. With that all being said I still think Harrison County was and is a better team this year. I really didn't see them lose a game that they should of won with maybe the exception of Oak Hills.

I think it is tough when a new coach comes in and isn't able to pick his own staff. I think it was awkward for him and his assisants.

It looked like the assistants were not giving/sharing input with the head coach during the season. Every game I watched this year the assisants were just setting there and not talking. I also thought it was strange

when you have Monroe who I thought was one of the top point guards in the region not playing point guard this year. He was moved to the 2G position most of the time and only bringing the ball up only when they were being pressured. The injuries this year definitely didn't help matters either. The seniors basically had to learn a new system and a new way of doing things than the past. With that all being said I still think Harrison County was and is a better team this year. I really didn't see them lose a game that they should of won with maybe the exception of Oak Hills.

My understanding he wouldn't take advice / suggestions anyway.

I still scratch my head that the Super forced out Simms after the success he had. Whether its overachieving or just the fact that he had kids that would run through the wall for him, they guy was good for Pendleton County. Everyone knows that Strong wanted his own guy and it came back to bite him and the entire school in the butt. How unfortunate for a great kid and player in Monroe not to have his same high school coach for his senior year just because of the political ring and weight being thrown around in it.

Not true. Simms took the assistant principal job at the High School. District Policy is that administrators cannot coach. Thanks for trying, though.

My understanding he wouldn't take advice / suggestions anyway.

These kids had a great season after battling adversity all year. No reason to try and start trouble and stir up controversy.