Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mayfield QB David Fowler 1968-1971

Featured Replies

My father, David Fowler, passed away this morning at Baptist East Hospital in Louisville, Ky. He played quarterback for Mayfield and Coach Jack Morris for four years. He suffered a knee injury his senior year in high schoo, but still ended up playing quarterback at Memphis State before eventually playing with the L.A. Rams. He still holds many Mayfield records and even a few at Memphis, even without the field being as wide-open for offense as it is today.

 

My dad was always very modest about his accomplishments on the field and as a youngster, I didn't know the right questions to ask. If anybody has any stories they could share about him, my family and I would appreciate it greatly. He loved the game. My dad was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago, but right up until the end, he could talk about Mayfield and Memphis and how much he loved to compete. He was an amazing athlete and an amazing man. His devotion to his game and to the spirit of team were a part of his life. We, his family, were honored to be his last team. I have attempted to carry on his legacy both on and off the field. I will miss my dad greatly...

 

Adam Fowler

Owen County High School Football

  • Author

My father, David Fowler, passed away this morning at Baptist East Hospital in Louisville, Ky. He played quarterback for Mayfield and Coach Jack Morris for four years. He suffered a knee injury his senior year in high schoo, but still ended up playing quarterback at Memphis State before eventually playing with the L.A. Rams. He still holds many Mayfield records and even a few at Memphis, even without the field being as wide-open for offense as it is today.

 

My dad was always very modest about his accomplishments on the field and as a youngster, I didn't know the right questions to ask. If anybody has any stories they could share about him, my family and I would appreciate it greatly. He loved the game. My dad was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago, but right up until the end, he could talk about Mayfield and Memphis and how much he loved to compete. He was an amazing athlete and an amazing man. His devotion to his game and to the spirit of team were a part of his life. We, his family, were honored to be his last team. I have attempted to carry on his legacy both on and off the field. I will miss my dad greatly...

 

Adam Fowler

Owen County High School Football

I knew him, he grew up the street from me. He was a senior when I was in 6th grade. He was by far the best QB to come through MHS. I would even say he is one of the top 3 all time athletes to ever play at MHS. He was a great football, basketball, and baseball player. I was in Madisonville when one of our own players hit David on a tackle and tore his knee up.

Edited by snakesnot_2000

We send our blessings. I am sure he was a proud papa. Continue on with the lessons he has taught and your life will be fulfilled.

WOW; Coach Fowler, and I mean Coach Adam Fowler, I've gained even more respect for YOU after reading this than I already have after watching what you've done with an Owen County program with whom I struggled while in my tenure there. I never knew your dad though I knew that you had roots in the 'hated' Mayfield Cardinal with my high school coaching roots being grounded in Graves County football. I have seen in your teams and your players at Owen County, the virtues that your dad has instilled in you. You have players, administrators, parents and fans speaking of you in Owen County, the way you speak of your father here. Congratulations, Coach. I'm guessing you've made your father proud.

U

I grew up with your cousin Josh and also played football for Mayfield, everytime I was around your dad he was a very great man, sorry to hear about your loss, he was and is a Cardinal legend

Thanks for posting Adam. I hope some of the Mayfield fans can share some stories about your dad, it sounds like he was a great guy that I would love to hear more about.

Sad to hear this news Coach Fowler. I know you are proud of his accomplishments and I'm certain he was proud of the work you have done with Owen County.

I just stumbled upon this! David Fowler was and is the greatest QB and arguably the greatest football player ever from Mayfield. I never knew his son was the coach at Owen Co. I hated to hear about David, a true Cardinal Legend

David is only 1 of 3 former Mayfield High School greats to have his jersey retired.. Joe Ford and Eddie Williams, being the other 2.. As good as David was in football, I truly thought baseball was his calling.. He was a terrific pitcher that threw in the low 90's and he was also a great defensive infielder and could hit.. Just an all around great athlete.. He was also a very good basketball player.. Had Jack Morris not been a 3 yard and a cloud of dust type coach and been willing to air it out during David's playing days, no telling what type numbers he would have put up..

My father, David Fowler, passed away this morning at Baptist East Hospital in Louisville, Ky. He played quarterback for Mayfield and Coach Jack Morris for four years. He suffered a knee injury his senior year in high schoo, but still ended up playing quarterback at Memphis State before eventually playing with the L.A. Rams. He still holds many Mayfield records and even a few at Memphis, even without the field being as wide-open for offense as it is today.

 

My dad was always very modest about his accomplishments on the field and as a youngster, I didn't know the right questions to ask. If anybody has any stories they could share about him, my family and I would appreciate it greatly. He loved the game. My dad was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago, but right up until the end, he could talk about Mayfield and Memphis and how much he loved to compete. He was an amazing athlete and an amazing man. His devotion to his game and to the spirit of team were a part of his life. We, his family, were honored to be his last team. I have attempted to carry on his legacy both on and off the field. I will miss my dad greatly...

 

Adam Fowler

Owen County High School Football

 

Great post young man. Thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.