Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Capital Punishment question.

Featured Replies

I know this would never happen but, how about weekly beatings administrated by the surviving loved ones.

What if he truly did suffer from a mental illness?
Don't nearly all mass killers by definition suffer from mental illness? As no sane person would commit this kind of crime. It's hard for me to accept that as an excuse from punishment.
I know this would never happen but, how about weekly beatings administrated by the surviving loved ones.

 

Maybe not but I would venture to say he may have never made it to trial.

As a Christian, I am pro-life, and thereby anti-death penalty. Admittedly, it's something that I struggle with in some situations - especially situations like this, supposing the shooter were to have survived. Still, I believe that killing someone is wrong, and I'll not support it.

 

I agree. I used to be a HUGE proponent of the death penalty. It was when my pro life views became stronger about five or ten years ago that I realized that calling myself pro life but being in favor of the death penalty is contradictory and maybe hypocritical on my part so I really began thinking about my pro death penalty views. In examining the death penalty issue and my faith itself, I have come to the conclusion that I was pro death penalty not so much do to ideas of justice, deterrence, etc., but in reality, it was due to vengenance in my heart (and I guess my soul) against the criminal and what he/she did and what I felt he/she deserved to satisfy my vengeful desires. It was when I realized that I was better able to let go of such vengance that I certainly feel one lives a much fuller life. Saying that, I have no problem with prison for life for murderers, I just don't believe in killing anyone with the exception of self defense.

 

I often enjoy ruffling the feathers of pro death penalty Christians who proudly state Jesus is their Lord and Savior. I often ask them if there were a divine phone line right to Jesus where we could seek His guidance on issues we have, how many of them really believe when asking if we should execute a murderer, He would reply, "Kill HIM!". If they do, they must be reading different Gospels than I read. Some reply that when someone commits murder, he/she gives up their right to life. I say baloney. God does not create us in a way where the life He gave us we can do anything to lose such a gift. To me that would be almost like saying once you have committed murder, you cannot be forgiven which is obviously false.

 

I agree. I used to be a HUGE proponent of the death penalty. It was when my pro life views became stronger about five or ten years ago that I realized that calling myself pro life but being in favor of the death penalty is contradictory and maybe hypocritical on my part so I really began thinking about my pro death penalty views. In examining the death penalty issue and my faith itself, I have come to the conclusion that I was pro death penalty not so much do to ideas of justice, deterrence, etc., but in reality, it was due to vengenance in my heart (and I guess my soul) against the criminal and what he/she did and what I felt he/she deserved to satisfy my vengeful desires. It was when I realized that I was better able to let go of such vengance that I certainly feel one lives a much fuller life. Saying that, I have no problem with prison for life for murderers, I just don't believe in killing anyone with the exception of self defense.

 

I often enjoy ruffling the feathers of pro death penalty Christians who proudly state Jesus is their Lord and Savior. I often ask them if there were a divine phone line right to Jesus where we could seek His guidance on issues we have, how many of them really believe when asking if we should execute a murderer, He would reply, "Kill HIM!". If they do, they must be reading different Gospels than I read. Some reply that when someone commits murder, he/she gives up their right to life. I say baloney. God does not create us in a way where the life He gave us we can do anything to lose such a gift. To me that would be almost like saying once you have committed murder, you cannot be forgiven which is obviously false.

 

Exactly. (And stated much more eloquently than I managed.)

Death penalty. Absolutely.

 

The ridiculous costs involved need to be changed as well.

What if he truly did suffer from a mental illness?

 

It's hard to answer that question because it would take an absolute overwhelming amount of medical/scientific evidence to prove to me that this person was forced by an illness to commit such an atrocity. If that could be proven beyond the shadow of a doubt, I would back off. But even in that scenario, the person should be incarcerated until the day of his death.

I agree. I used to be a HUGE proponent of the death penalty. It was when my pro life views became stronger about five or ten years ago that I realized that calling myself pro life but being in favor of the death penalty is contradictory and maybe hypocritical on my part so I really began thinking about my pro death penalty views. In examining the death penalty issue and my faith itself, I have come to the conclusion that I was pro death penalty not so much do to ideas of justice, deterrence, etc., but in reality, it was due to vengenance in my heart (and I guess my soul) against the criminal and what he/she did and what I felt he/she deserved to satisfy my vengeful desires. It was when I realized that I was better able to let go of such vengance that I certainly feel one lives a much fuller life. Saying that, I have no problem with prison for life for murderers, I just don't believe in killing anyone with the exception of self defense.

 

I often enjoy ruffling the feathers of pro death penalty Christians who proudly state Jesus is their Lord and Savior. I often ask them if there were a divine phone line right to Jesus where we could seek His guidance on issues we have, how many of them really believe when asking if we should execute a murderer, He would reply, "Kill HIM!". If they do, they must be reading different Gospels than I read. Some reply that when someone commits murder, he/she gives up their right to life. I say baloney. God does not create us in a way where the life He gave us we can do anything to lose such a gift. To me that would be almost like saying once you have committed murder, you cannot be forgiven which is obviously false.

 

I am a committed follower of Jesus, against abortion, & in favor of the death penalty (though I am not as strong of an advocate as I once was). And I don't believe that to be hypocritical at all.

 

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience (Romans 13: 1-5).

 

Regarding the bolded section of your comments, I believe that grace is greater than all of our sin. Regardless of the sin, God's grace is never out of reach. But receiving the grace of God does not mean we avoid the earthly consequences of our sin. Jesus forgave the thief on the cross & promised him eternal life. But the thief still died on that cross.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.