Dixie Heights 60 Highlands 59

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree that the T was goofy...Same ref, wow! Not sure about the Dixie played terrible in the first half comment. The argument that the reason the game was close is b/c my team played bad blah, blah, blah doesn't usually fly on BGP.

No, not even close. Most controversial call of the game was the technical called on Dixie. Dixie subbed for Milligan (who was on the other side of the court away from the Dixie bench) and he had his back to the sub, The sub jogged across the court and told him he was out. Milligan turned to the sub and told who his man was and started walking to the bench. The ball was handed to Dixie all the way at the opposite end of the floor and inbounded. Milligan was still walking off the floor... about 10 feet from the bench at this point. The official closest to him WRONGFULLY called a "T" for 6 men on the floor. She should have had her hand UP IN THE AIR until he made it to the bench to let the other officials know NOT to put the ball in play (it was Dixie's ball). She totally blew it. If that doesn't happen, then its not a game, as Dixie was up 6 with the ball. She then called the phantom foul that sent BH to the line to seal the win... I'll admit, it was a makeup call. He was not touched.

Dixie played terrible in the first half. They should have handled Highlands easily.

Hatton had 18 - quite of few from the free throw line. I can only recall 1- 3 pt goal and a few field goals.

Brandon is an extremely talented player. He is very hard to stop, and if the officials keep bailing him out when he creates all the contact on his shots, he becomes impossible to stop.

That is exactly what happened with 4.9 seconds to go in the game. He drives to the left side of the foul line and jumps away from the basket directly into a HHS defender. Threw the ball at the basket and gets the call. After he made the second free throw, HHS timeout, Houliston takes the ball down the right side and there is contact from multiple Dixie defenders - no call. "Jordan Treatment" - RB I like the analogy.

I must have been watching another game for anyone to say Hatton received Jordan treatment. There will alwags be questionable calls in someone's eyes where officiating is concerned. We could spend the whole night picking apart every call that was made. No one is ever going to be 100 percent happy with what calls are made and not made. So let's make a fair assessment here and not say one particular player was receiving any special treatment. The reality is that Dixie had poor performance as a whole.

The argument that the reason the game was close is b/c my team played bad blah, blah, blah doesn't usually fly on BGP.

LOL. Lighten up Francis :) What I see "flyin on BGP" is a lot of opinions and I simply gave mine. Feel free to disagree, but I stand by what I said. Dixie played a really sloppy first half and Highlands did not impress me. I don't mean that as a slight to Highlands, its just what I saw compared to other games.

? Lighten up? I'm not mad, just sayn' that argument doesn't fly here. Now, get back to the one millionth rerun of Stripes.

LOL. Lighten up Francis :) What I see "flyin on BGP" is a lot of opinions and I simply gave mine. Feel free to disagree, but I stand by what I said. Dixie played a really sloppy first half and Highlands did not impress me. I don't mean that as a slight to Highlands, its just what I saw compared to other games.

No, not even close. Most controversial call of the game was the technical called on Dixie. Dixie subbed for Milligan (who was on the other side of the court away from the Dixie bench) and he had his back to the sub, The sub jogged across the court and told him he was out. Milligan turned to the sub and told who his man was and started walking to the bench. The ball was handed to Dixie all the way at the opposite end of the floor and inbounded. Milligan was still walking off the floor... about 10 feet from the bench at this point. The official closest to him WRONGFULLY called a "T" for 6 men on the floor. She should have had her hand UP IN THE AIR until he made it to the bench to let the other officials know NOT to put the ball in play (it was Dixie's ball). She totally blew it. If that doesn't happen, then its not a game, as Dixie was up 6 with the ball. She then called the phantom foul that sent BH to the line to seal the win... I'll admit, it was a makeup call. He was not touched.

Dixie played terrible in the first half. They should have handled Highlands easily.

Your post is a joke. It was the right call but several others were not. That goes for both temas. I have never aren more quick whistles in my life over the past week. That is all I will say on that.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule #5

Your post is a joke. It was the right call but several others were not.

Ask any official who knows the rule book. Wrong call... and not even an argument. She did not know what her responsibility was. This isn't football where you can make a quick snap and catch the extra man still on the field.

Edited by gold sunrise
Editing quote

Apparently I'm not the only one with this assessment :)

I think we know WHO Hoosierdaddy cheers for the most and I wouldnt expect him to openly admit the foul called with 4 seconds was bogus.

Sad thing is Highlands had a shot at winning the game but turnovers in the 3rd qtr were their undoing. They had a 9 point lead and squandered it. I will also add that Witte got saddled early with 2 Quick whistles 35 feet from the basket and he never could get Into the flow. He was scoreless, came in avg 15 a game and the Birds still could have won.

Dixie is not very good IMO, Hatton is very good and his 14 first half points were what kept Dixie even in the game. The fact of the matter is his supporting cast is not good enough to get it done this year. Maybe next year but I dont see them winning the Region unless Hatton can avg 30 a game.

21 fouls were called in the first half and maybe half in the 2nd. Its out of control period.

Your post is a joke. It was the right call but several others were not. That goes for both temas. I have never aren more quick whistles in my life over the past week. That is all I will say on that.

Welcome to the 2012 Basketball season. So far a season of insignificant touch fouls that do not effect play called because hand checking is a "point of emphasis." There have been games this season where over 60 fouls have been called. I wish I could share Harrison County's Coach Larry Kendall's post-game assessment of the officiating in one of those +50 foul-fests. He was right on. Unfortunately the officials have their agenda and the teams have theirs, and must tolerate the officials'. I've seen this before, but it's usually settled down by now.

Look forward to playing the Birds in the SyDome on Friday night. Looks like we better bring our A game if we want to win our fifth straight over the Birds. Incidentally, it's Skyline Chili night!!! Bring you appetite!

Edited by gold sunrise
Editing post

Outside of all the bickering about awful calls here are some of my takeaways.

* Brandon Hatton plays with more confidence than any HS player I have ever watched. Soft touch, great stroke and tremendous body control.

* Drew Houliston can score the basketball.

* Milligan was using his brute force down the stretch to keep Dixie in the game. He too was saddled early with foul trouble.

* I like the energy and effort from the Bluebirds. They have 6 Key players only 9 days ogf the football field and will get better.

* Birds shot Free Throws well

* Feggins did a great job on Hatton with Witte on thebench.

*Witte needs to have a short Memory of this game, good effort just One of those nights.

* Birds went 8 deep tonight and would have Gone 9 if Hergott didnt go down on Saturday.

* Nick True converted well Tonight and will get better.

* Niehaus can be a strong player for Dixie but he too was the victim of some ridiculous foul calls.

* Daría needs confidence and he will be Fine, hit a big 3 late in the 4th.

* The lack of a foul called on a buzzer shot was only a terrible no-call because they bailed Hatton out with 4 seconds left and essentially ley him win it at the line. I dont think players should be rewarded foul shots When they initiate contact going away from the basket and flip the ball towards the rim.

HIGHLANDS 18-16-8-17—59

at D.HEIGHTS 18-13-15-14—60

HIGHLANDS (2-1): Hinkel 0 2 2, Houliston 5 11 22, Trenotte 2 2 6, Turner 2 9 13, Greene 1 0 2, Feggins 1 0 2, True 6 0 12. Totals 17 24 59.

DIXIE HEIGHTS (4-1): Schreck 3 2 8, Rabe 3 0 6, Daria 5 0 12, Ruehr 1 0 2, Hatton 6 6 20, Niehaus 2 0 4, Milligan 4 0 8. Totals 24 8 60.

3-pointers: DH—Daria 2, Hatton 2. H—Houliston. JV: Highlands, 59-51.

Read more: 12/11 BBK: Dixie edges Highlands