Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pendulum Swing?

Featured Replies

I am fairly certain that the vast majority of the improvements to campus were planned well before Szabo arrived my friend. In fact the special needs program that Trinity has along with its handicapped accessibility (which we won an award for not too long after we finished some additions in the early part of the last decade) were planned when Dave Aberli was still the basketball coach at Trinity and most of that progress was made well before then. I know it is hard to see from the porch of the country club those individuals who came from blue collar families, or those that had to struggle to make sure their kids made it through a private school, but that is who helped make Trinity the school that it is today. Is there an uptick in individuals at Trinity who come from families that have two parents who graduated from college? I am sure there is now that more Trinity alums have sons attending. I would venture to guess though that MANY more Trinity grads than St. X grads from the 1960s through the early to mid 90s were among the first generations of their families to graduate college.

 

We know what it takes to build things from the ground up and as a school that has known from the beginning that we should welcome all who want to attend we don't like to put limitations on who wants to join our brotherhood. So while some at the Poplar Level Polo Fields look at us bringing in a diverse group of students and young men from varied walks of life with all sorts of backgrounds and say "They are just trying to get an edge in sports!" We look at this diverse group of people and say "Look at how many different groups want to call themselves Shamrocks, we should be proud of what we built and hope that even more want to share in this with us."

 

I am sorry that we are not elitist enough for you, but it takes more than a golf course and Lakeside to make a community.

 

Touching story..... Nice spin effort!

  • Replies 61
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Touching story..... Nice spin effort!

 

 

Good to see that Tiger arrogance has remained unchanged in the years since Trinity's founding. I tip my hat to you sir, I can only aspire to one day be your waiter at the club. :rolleyes:

If you're really good at something, I don't need to hear your sob stories about coming from nothing and how "you out work everyone". I would much rally hear you just say, "We're just better than you." At least no one could argue with that, but your sob story doesn't really do the trick. It's kind of sad, sad like I feel sorry for you type of sad, not a sad in which it makes me want to help you.

 

In addition, X and T draw the same student for the most part, with small exceptions.....so give me a break.

If you're really good at something, I don't need to hear your sob stories about coming from nothing and how "you out work everyone". I would much rally hear you just say, "We're just better than you." At least no one could argue with that, but your sob story doesn't really do the trick. It's kind of sad, sad like I feel sorry for you type of sad, not a sad in which it makes me want to help you.

 

In addition, X and T draw the same student for the most part, with small exceptions.....so give me a break.

 

Unlike the Tigers, Trinity hasn't really had near the amount of practice in saying "We're better than you."

 

Both are good schools there is no question about that, but there is a different culture in each school largely established long ago. I have had people who aren't from Louisville who have no allegiance to either school comment on the difference in the attitudes of the graduates. In fact it wasn't until they said anything that I even noticed. I always just assumed it was some sort of rivalry. Unlike a certain former coach I don't make excuses. I am simply elaborating on certain aspects of difference.

 

Trinity, until recently, had more of a blue collar background than the Tigers. St. Matthews, for those St.X guys that have no idea about its background, was far from the more well to do area it is today when Trinity opened its doors. Shoot many of the families that live there who had sons that attended Trinity in the 80s through the late 90s couldn't afford to buy in that neighborhood today. I know that for a fact because the vast majority of my closest friends from St. Matthews along with myself have the same background. It wasn't until the 90s that St.Matthews began the long slow transition to what it is today. There are those that could say it started in the late 80s, but the number of changes to the neighborhood since 1990 have been dramatic.

 

My point is that many of the local boys that attended Trinity in that time frame were first generation college graduates. They come from a slightly different mindset than those who were raised in a more white collar world. Those with education backgrounds, especially the psychology of your socio-economic status and how it frames your worldview, would understand it better than others. Around that same time many St.X families had 3rd or 4th generation family members attending St.X and in many cases 2nd or 3rd generation college grads. Many looked down their noses at this upstart that had only been in existence since 1954 and that attitude permeated the Xaverian relationship with Trinity. Not to say that there weren't close friendships between students at both schools and that there weren't exceptions to the above generalities, I am speaking from a historical perspective that I suspect neither of you two are old enough nor experienced enough to understand at this point. As I said, some of the subtle differences I never noticed until someone with no ties to either school pointed it out to me.

 

The issue here though is that the Trinity perspective is, and has always been, to accept young men no matter their backgrounds. I knew of a number situations when I was a student at Trinity that we took kids who were kicked out of other private schools, St.X among them. We don't have any intention of limiting ourselves in that regard. The attitude that Tigers09Champs is perpetuating is the issue at hand in my mind and the spark of this line of discussion. You say that St.X is above getting involved in that "arms race," which is among the most smug and arrogant thing that I have ever seen a Tiger say on here. I say that Trinity is focusing on providing a fantastic education emphasizing the Catholic faith as the central part of it while encouraging our students to be well rounded at the same time. Whether they play a sport, get involved in the Fantasy Gaming club or French Scrabble is of no consequence. As a Catholic school it is our duty to represent the Catholic(which means Universal in case you were asleep in religion class), mission in whatever way we can. To that end accepting all students we can no matter their academic abilities, physical abilities or disabilities. I am sorry if the Xaverian school finds that beneath them in their course of study, but that is a defining difference. You may call this a good story, but it is the truth for Trinity. If you felines wish to look at it as going outside "the family" so to speak then there is nothing I can do to fix your green and gold glasses.

Unlike the Tigers, Trinity hasn't really had near the amount of practice in saying "We're better than you."

 

Both are good schools there is no question about that, but there is a different culture in each school largely established long ago. I have had people who aren't from Louisville who have no allegiance to either school comment on the difference in the attitudes of the graduates. In fact it wasn't until they said anything that I even noticed. I always just assumed it was some sort of rivalry. Unlike a certain former coach I don't make excuses. I am simply elaborating on certain aspects of difference.

 

Trinity, until recently, had more of a blue collar background than the Tigers. St. Matthews, for those St.X guys that have no idea about its background, was far from the more well to do area it is today when Trinity opened its doors. Shoot many of the families that live there who had sons that attended Trinity in the 80s through the late 90s couldn't afford to buy in that neighborhood today. I know that for a fact because the vast majority of my closest friends from St. Matthews along with myself have the same background. It wasn't until the 90s that St.Matthews began the long slow transition to what it is today. There are those that could say it started in the late 80s, but the number of changes to the neighborhood since 1990 have been dramatic.

 

My point is that many of the local boys that attended Trinity in that time frame were first generation college graduates. They come from a slightly different mindset than those who were raised in a more white collar world. Those with education backgrounds, especially the psychology of your socio-economic status and how it frames your worldview, would understand it better than others. Around that same time many St.X families had 3rd or 4th generation family members attending St.X and in many cases 2nd or 3rd generation college grads. Many looked down their noses at this upstart that had only been in existence since 1954 and that attitude permeated the Xaverian relationship with Trinity. Not to say that there weren't close friendships between students at both schools and that there weren't exceptions to the above generalities, I am speaking from a historical perspective that I suspect neither of you two are old enough nor experienced enough to understand at this point. As I said, some of the subtle differences I never noticed until someone with no ties to either school pointed it out to me.

 

The issue here though is that the Trinity perspective is, and has always been, to accept young men no matter their backgrounds. I knew of a number situations when I was a student at Trinity that we took kids who were kicked out of other private schools, St.X among them. We don't have any intention of limiting ourselves in that regard. The attitude that Tigers09Champs is perpetuating is the issue at hand in my mind and the spark of this line of discussion. You say that St.X is above getting involved in that "arms race," which is among the most smug and arrogant thing that I have ever seen a Tiger say on here. I say that Trinity is focusing on providing a fantastic education emphasizing the Catholic faith as the central part of it while encouraging our students to be well rounded at the same time. Whether they play a sport, get involved in the Fantasy Gaming club or French Scrabble is of no consequence. As a Catholic school it is our duty to represent the Catholic(which means Universal in case you were asleep in religion class), mission in whatever way we can. To that end accepting all students we can no matter their academic abilities, physical abilities or disabilities. I am sorry if the Xaverian school finds that beneath them in their course of study, but that is a defining difference. You may call this a good story, but it is the truth for Trinity. If you felines wish to look at it as going outside "the family" so to speak then there is nothing I can do to fix your green and gold glasses.

 

Snore.......snore.........snore................rollover.........snore..fArt.................snif.....snore..........

  • Author

I'm an X grad who is from the Westend of Louisville, who had to struggle to get through the school. I couldn't dis agree more with some of these posts. Good luck to both schools moving forward, in all aspects that the schools decide to venture into. I do appreciate the education i received at X and it isn't undermined 1 bit because i was a poor black student. The way i see it, both schools should attempt to extend helping hands to those less fortunate.

I'm an X grad who is from the Westend of Louisville' date=' who had to struggle to get through the school. I couldn't dis agree more with some of these posts. Good luck to both schools moving forward, in all aspects that the schools decide to venture into. I do appreciate the education i received at X and it isn't undermined 1 bit because i was a poor black student. The way i see it, both schools should attempt to extend helping hands to those less fortunate.[/quote']

 

I couldn't be happier to hear that AT, and I agree with the last part of your statement wholeheartedly. It just seems as though not all of your brethren share that view.

Snore.......snore.........snore................rollover.........snore..fArt.................snif.....snore..........

 

And if PepRock needed another example...

And while we're on the subject of the "arms race" let's not put the pure as the driven snow Xaviarians above that fray at least on the gridiron.

 

In finest Xaviarian fashion I can play the rumor and innuendo game as well.

 

Could it be that X made their recent football hire because they can now tout a former NFL player as their coach in an effort the "entice" better players? His hire certainly can't be based on coaching credentials because he has never coached a down of football at any level above CSAA. Does this indicate that X is indeed ready to abandon their "principles" and hire on name only? Could the fact that he has a boatload of money have anything to do with Glaser's ouster and his hire?

 

The grapevine now says that he is going to hire a former UofL QB who has some experience in the NFL (and little or no coaching experience) as his QB Coach/Offensive Coordinator. Is there a trend starting here?

And if PepRock needed another example...

 

Actually, the thread was hi-jacked and I literally fell asleep doing the best I could to read through the second or third verse of the same old song

Fact of matter is X administration will not enter «arms race» with Trinity in football and wait till you see new crop of T basketball. We will do well to win every few years. If or when T wins both football and basketball, Khsaa will have privates out.
This mantra is so off base and hysterical........thanks for the contribution.

I wonder what message boards would have sounded like in 70s, 80s, and mid 90s?

 

Because I'm sure we all talk about the "pendulum swing" and kind of laugh about it, but it is pretty true. Each decade each school has their run. In the 2000s it was Trinity, but we can all agree that the mid to late 2000s were about as even as the teams could be with X winning the regular season game, but just had a tough team sealing the deal in December. Now this decade, it appears that T will be the better team.

 

We a blow it off, but the talent does shift about every decade or so.

I wonder what message boards would have sounded like in 70s, 80s, and mid 90s?

 

Because I'm sure we all talk about the "pendulum swing" and kind of laugh about it, but it is pretty true. Each decade each school has their run. In the 2000s it was Trinity, but we can all agree that the mid to late 2000s were about as even as the teams could be with X winning the regular season game, but just had a tough team sealing the deal in December. Now this decade, it appears that T will be the better team.

 

We a blow it off, but the talent does shift about every decade or so.

 

The 80s were pretty even between the two though.

The 80s were pretty even between the two though.

 

We won the title in '80, '83, '85, '88, and '89

 

They won in '86...and that is all.

Hearing Browning Nagle to be OC for X next year.

 

You are correct and he is bringing his 6 foot 3 inch 230lb. son with him who will be the number one QB in the state next year! The Tigers will be waering the favorite label next year for sure.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.