Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Breathitt County players' status

Featured Replies

I was at the Breathitt County/Pike Central game on Friday night, won big by Breathitt County. With about 1:40 to go in the game a huge bench clearing brawl occurred. Several players were being knocked down on both sides, punches being thrown. It was bad enough that the officials suspended play and ended the game. I haven't heard of any players being ejected or suspended this week for Breathitt when they travel to Belfry. Anyone know of any suspensions?

  • Replies 48
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reported ejection on the KHSAA site is a coach James Blomberg.

Sad to hear things like this take place, but boys will be boys.

  • Author

Wow.....should have been numerous suspensions. I'm sure Belfry wants them to bring their best but this was a nasty situation.

Is is true that at least one PCC player was swinging his helmet as a weapon?

Is is true that at least one PCC player was swinging his helmet as a weapon?
As I understand it yes. Reportedly one player used his helmet as a weapon, even hitting himself in the head a few times. It is reported that one player held down #83 for Breathitt (Cox I think) and this player beat him with his helmet while he was being held down.

 

I don't have any of that from a reliable source, but that is the prevailing rumor floating around.

Blomberg is a player

The only reported ejection on the KHSAA site is a coach James Blomberg.
Blomberg is a player....Head Coach Chapman from PCC is the one that needs suspended.....
Blomberg is a playerBlomberg is a player....Head Coach Chapman from PCC is the one that needs suspended.....

 

KHSAA site had him listed as a coach.

 

KHSAA DQ Reports on File

 

PCC had 4 ejected.

Blomberg is a playerBlomberg is a player....Head Coach Chapman from PCC is the one that needs suspended.....

 

Wasn't Chapman a former Breathitt player?

 

How did this rivalry get to this point?

Chapman was a long time defensive coordinator for Breathitt. He left to coach at Pikeville for a few years back in the mid 90s and then went back. He left again 3 years ago to take the Pike Central job. I don't know of any rivalry or animosity between the programs. They have met in the playoffs several times with Breathitt always winning by a good margin. As far as I know the relationship between Holcomb and Chapman is a good one, they seem pretty chummy when I have seen them at the finals the past few years.

 

Pike Central did lose a great athlete, Cory Shouse, who transferred back to Breathitt in the summer after playing two seasons at Pike Central. Another player, Cox, was rumored to be enrolling at Pike Central this year but he ended up at Breathitt also. Not sure if any of that created any hard feelings among the players or not, but I could see it happening.

Chapman was a long time defensive coordinator for Breathitt. He left to coach at Pikeville for a few years back in the mid 90s and then went back. He left again 3 years ago to take the Pike Central job. I don't know of any rivalry or animosity between the programs. They have met in the playoffs several times with Breathitt always winning by a good margin. As far as I know the relationship between Holcomb and Chapman is a good one, they seem pretty chummy when I have seen them at the finals the past few years.

 

Pike Central did lose a great athlete, Cory Shouse, who transferred back to Breathitt in the summer after playing two seasons at Pike Central. Another player, Cox, was rumored to be enrolling at Pike Central this year but he ended up at Breathitt also. Not sure if any of that created any hard feelings among the players or not, but I could see it happening.

 

Wow.

Chapman was a long time defensive coordinator for Breathitt. He left to coach at Pikeville for a few years back in the mid 90s and then went back. He left again 3 years ago to take the Pike Central job. I don't know of any rivalry or animosity between the programs. They have met in the playoffs several times with Breathitt always winning by a good margin. As far as I know the relationship between Holcomb and Chapman is a good one, they seem pretty chummy when I have seen them at the finals the past few years.

 

Pike Central did lose a great athlete, Cory Shouse, who transferred back to Breathitt in the summer after playing two seasons at Pike Central. Another player, Cox, was rumored to be enrolling at Pike Central this year but he ended up at Breathitt also. Not sure if any of that created any hard feelings among the players or not, but I could see it happening.

 

Thanks 2C. Interesting dynamics at play.

Wasn't Chapman a former Breathitt player?

 

How did this rivalry get to this point?

 

Former D-Coordinator for years and his sons were two of the Bobcat's all-time greats.

 

If you are aware of Chapman's tenure at PC there are enough red flags that would make NKY fans claim Jim Matney as a Saint in comparison. Stretching back to the motives to why he was was hired in the first place, and the subsequent black marks ever since, there is little debate that Chapman will not be receiving any sportsmanship awards any time soon. Pike Central is currently already on KHSAA probation after receiving sanctions for playing illegal players. In fact, amidst rumors and conjecture during the off-season at one point it was thought that Chapman was returning to Breathitt to be an assistant.

 

I don't know what caused this Wrestlemania outbreak. Supposedly there are a lot of mysteries coming out of that game. PC is a notorious spread team and essentially the mirror image of Breathitt..yet for some unknown reason apparently they suddenly ran out of the flexbone (Belfry's primary offense) against Breathitt. When the brawl broke out apparently both teams shut off their cameras. PC also successfully converted a pair of on-side kicks despite being down by a hefty margin. All indications are that it started from frustrations, isolated incidents that arose during the game. By that point Breathitt had their 2nd string in and all reports are that the bobcats succesffuly kept their 1's out of harms way as PC did their best Spartacus: Gods of the Arena impersonation as Chapman was nowhere to be found.

 

Between Breathitt's coaching staff doing a great job (apparently) of keeping their starters off the field, the lack of video evidence, the general idea that PC was the aggressor, and the obvious chaos that ensued making it hard for officials to point fingers at specific players...I would expect Breathitt to have minimal to no suspensions. The Cox kid supposedly was injured as the result of the fight.

Former D-Coordinator for years and his sons were two of the Bobcat's all-time greats.

 

If you are aware of Chapman's tenure at PC there are enough red flags that would make NKY fans claim Jim Matney as a Saint in comparison. Stretching back to the motives to why he was was hired in the first place, and the subsequent black marks ever since, there is little debate that Chapman will not be receiving any sportsmanship awards any time soon. Pike Central is currently already on KHSAA probation after receiving sanctions for playing illegal players. In fact, amidst rumors and conjecture during the off-season at one point it was thought that Chapman was returning to Breathitt to be an assistant.

 

I don't know what caused this Wrestlemania outbreak. Supposedly there are a lot of mysteries coming out of that game. PC is a notorious spread team and essentially the mirror image of Breathitt..yet for some unknown reason apparently they suddenly ran out of the flexbone (Belfry's primary offense) against Breathitt. When the brawl broke out apparently both teams shut off their cameras. PC also successfully converted a pair of on-side kicks despite being down by a hefty margin. All indications are that it started from frustrations, isolated incidents that arose during the game. By that point Breathitt had their 2nd string in and all reports are that the bobcats succesffuly kept their 1's out of harms way as PC did their best Spartacus: Gods of the Arena impersonation as Chapman was nowhere to be found.

 

Between Breathitt's coaching staff doing a great job (apparently) of keeping their starters off the field, the lack of video evidence, the general idea that PC was the aggressor, and the obvious chaos that ensued making it hard for officials to point fingers at specific players...I would expect Breathitt to have minimal to no suspensions. The Cox kid supposedly was injured as the result of the fight.

 

Thank you. My family is from Breathitt County and although I don't always follow them closely I do try to know what is going on with the Bobcats to some extent.

 

I was thinking of Chapman's son being the former player. I remember him being a running back (I think). I do remember the KHSAA issues with Chapman, but I think I have always mistakenly thought that was the son.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.