So Glad My Kids Never Had A Teacher Like This

This is a NC classroom discussion about the Washington Post piece about Mitt Romney bullying a kid around 4 and a half decades ago. When one student brings up the fact that President Obama bullied a girl in school, the "fun" ensues.

A quick warning, there is some cursing, but not over the top.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't listen very long. I get a pit in my stomach thinking about how unruly and out of control some classes are. Terrible environment.

I challenge any of you that are not a teacher or involved in the school system to take one day and volunteer at your child or a family members school and just watch how the children are in class. Not for the misbehaving, but simple manners and the like, you would be shocked.

I couldn't listen very long. I get a pit in my stomach thinking about how unruly and out of control some classes are. Terrible environment.

Listening to how the teacher spoke and "handled" the class, I can fully understand how the class became unruly and out of control. Admittedly the audio is only a snapshot of one day inher classroom, but the fact that the teacher thought it was okay to comment on Romney's alleged bullying but not discuss President Obama's bullying because he is now the President and you are not permitted to criticize the President is ludicrous. Heck a high schooler with an IQ of 100 would quickly see the blantatly double standard. Hard to respect a teacher like that. Very hard.

I just finished 16 years of teaching and have NEVER had an unruly class. A teacher CAN have classroom control, particularly if the administration has established a positive learning climate and backs up teachers in the classroom. That is not to say that I haven't had negative instances, but those are few and far between.

As to the particular action in question, I didn't watch the video, but from what it appears to be on the surface, if the discussion was part of the class curriculum, then the teacher should have allowed debate from more than one angle.

For those of you that watched the video, what class is this from? Is it a social studies class?

I can see where some are upset and cracking up. The teacher is asking the child to be respectful of the POTUS. Which is enforcing protocol. Nothing wrong with that. Romney doesn't deserve the same respect as Obama.

The teacher is demanding the kid not talk about Obama bullying kids. The teacher said that people have been put in jail because they talked bad about Bush. I've never heard about that.

And I've never heard of any school protocol that you weren't allowed to discuss the president and any bad things he may have done.

I can see where some are upset and cracking up. The teacher is asking the child to be respectful of the POTUS. Which is enforcing protocol. Nothing wrong with that. Romney doesn't deserve the same respect as Obama.

You can discuss someone's past and not be disrespectful. The truth, if it were indeed the truth, disrespects no one.

Either way I have a hard time believing that most people in politics didn't do a little "bullying" at some point as children, it just fits the personality.

No, the teacher was being one sided.

Here's the kid's version of the story:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1649697646001/

BTW, anyone else thinking Jack Black when they look at this kid? :lol:

A few things struck me about the exchange.

1. The classroom was out of control.

2. The discussionwas pointless. If the teacher wanted to address the topic, there should have been some substance to the discussion. She could have limited the discussion to Gov. Romney by saying that the discussion was limited to that topic. I don't think she should have, but it is her class. Trying to limit the discussion by using silly threats showed her lack of control in the room.

3. If that school doesn't have a rule against recording in class they need one now. That kid should be in a lot of trouble for recording the class.