Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What should one do?

Featured Replies

RM, I wouldn't say a thing unless they ask your opinion. Nothing good will come of it. Like RTS said you won't change their minds. If they are distracting you from your work I wouldn't hesitate to close the door though.

Are we certain they're "on the clock" for this time?

 

Fair question. I was assuming (dangerous of me, I know) that most employees at most companies only get one 30-60 minute break per work day and that is for lunch, and that most employees don't use their lunch break by spending 30 mins to an hour at the water cooler.

...that will make her a BIG hit around the office.

 

Not likely. Then again, if RM is interested in her place of employment remaining open and her keeping her job, she has a vested interest in making sure other employees aren't standing around 30-60 minutes every afternoon being unproductive. Popularity is only so important.

Try this...join the group...listen and if they then ask for your opinion say "Our country has a lot of problems right now and obviously people are upset. But bantering about endlessly here is not going to solve them. Time to get back to work." Then offer get them signed for BGP and help out the Theguru...

rm, I have work to do and have to concentrate to get it done. I can't do it with a debate going on outside my door. I close my door all of the time when there are those standing outside of it disturbing me. I just smile, say "Excuse me." and close it. To me, it's unfriendly, rude for that matter, for them to be carrying on a conversation in a hallway like that. That's why God invented conference rooms, offices, and lunch rooms.

 

Usually when I do close my door on a hallway debate, the party breaks up, solving leatherneck's concern. I avoid stepping on another department head's toes by doing more, though. Have had my hand slapped one too many times. I've learned that managers who don't police their own, will eventually be found out.

rm, I have work to do and have to concentrate to get it done. I can't do it with a debate going on outside my door. I close my door all of the time when there are those standing outside of it disturbing me. I just smile, say "Excuse me." and close it. To me, it's unfriendly, rude for that matter, for them to be carrying on a conversation in a hallway like that. That's why God invented conference rooms, offices, and lunch rooms.

 

Usually when I do close my door on a hallway debate, the party breaks up, solving leatherneck's concern. I avoid stepping on another department head's toes by doing more, though. Have had my hand slapped one too many times. I've learned that managers who don't police their own, will eventually be found out.

 

Well stated.

 

For what it's worth, I keep my door closed all the time. Someone in the office asked why? My answer was: 1. hard to concentrate with people walking by and talking outside my door; and 2. I regularly discuss information with clients that the client would not want overheard. Since my back is to the door when I'm on the phone, I couldn't know who might be walking by my door and overhear what I'm saying. If the closed door makes some people think I'm rude, they'll have to live with it. Perhaps RM can just start a closed door all the time routine.

 

It still would bother me that a lot of fellow employees are spending a lot of time each day in an unproductive manner (assuming again, that they are on the clock at the time).

  • Author

OK...here's what I've decided to do:

 

1) I've identified that one person is the ring leader. That person happens to have their desk right outside my door, near the mailboxes I mentioned. He is ex-military, VERY vocally anti-President Obama. Everyday at the start of his shift, he walks in and the FIRST thing out of his mouth is today's beef with President Obama. Literally...not hello, not what do I need to know for my shift...

 

2) Others are sort of "forced" to listen to him, because his demeanor is pretty forceful and they don't feel they can just walk away.

 

3) I'm not going to tattle.

 

4) I am trying to consciously remember to shut my door when I know he's working.

 

5) He also forwards anti-President Obam e-mails to people he thinks shares his views. Without discussion...he's somehow assumed I am one of those. It's like working with mtnref. :D

OK...here's what I've decided to do:

 

1) I've identified that one person is the ring leader. That person happens to have their desk right outside my door, near the mailboxes I mentioned. He is ex-military, VERY vocally anti-President Obama. Everyday at the start of his shift, he walks in and the FIRST thing out of his mouth is today's beef with President Obama. Literally...not hello, not what do I need to know for my shift...

 

2) Others are sort of "forced" to listen to him, because his demeanor is pretty forceful and they don't feel they can just walk away.

 

3) I'm not going to tattle.

 

4) I am trying to consciously remember to shut my door when I know he's working.

 

5) He also forwards anti-President Obam e-mails to people he thinks shares his views. Without discussion...he's somehow assumed I am one of those. It's like working with mtnref. :D

He sounds like a decent enough fellow with a good grasp of reality.... :p
OK...here's what I've decided to do:

 

1) I've identified that one person is the ring leader. That person happens to have their desk right outside my door, near the mailboxes I mentioned. He is ex-military, VERY vocally anti-President Obama. Everyday at the start of his shift, he walks in and the FIRST thing out of his mouth is today's beef with President Obama. Literally...not hello, not what do I need to know for my shift...

 

2) Others are sort of "forced" to listen to him, because his demeanor is pretty forceful and they don't feel they can just walk away.

 

3) I'm not going to tattle.

 

4) I am trying to consciously remember to shut my door when I know he's working.

 

5) He also forwards anti-President Obam e-mails to people he thinks shares his views. Without discussion...he's somehow assumed I am one of those. It's like working with mtnref. :D

You poor poor soul .
5) He also forwards anti-President Obam e-mails to people he thinks shares his views. Without discussion...he's somehow assumed I am one of those. It's like working with mtnref. :D
Wear your Birkenstock's to work. He will get the point. :D
OK...here's what I've decided to do:

 

1) I've identified that one person is the ring leader. That person happens to have their desk right outside my door, near the mailboxes I mentioned. He is ex-military, VERY vocally anti-President Obama. Everyday at the start of his shift, he walks in and the FIRST thing out of his mouth is today's beef with President Obama. Literally...not hello, not what do I need to know for my shift...

 

2) Others are sort of "forced" to listen to him, because his demeanor is pretty forceful and they don't feel they can just walk away.

 

3) I'm not going to tattle.

 

4) I am trying to consciously remember to shut my door when I know he's working.

 

5) He also forwards anti-President Obam e-mails to people he thinks shares his views. Without discussion...he's somehow assumed I am one of those. It's like working with mtnref. :D

 

 

Just let it "slip" that you agree with Prez O's stance on gay marriage and so does your "acquantance" Terry........

 

He will avoid you like the plague.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.