Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pitino racial comment

Featured Replies

Instead of 'Black Birds' they are now called 'thugs'.

 

What the heck are you guys on about? If there are people that don't like UofL because they have black players, then there's no way they can like UK either.

  • Replies 45
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What the heck are you guys on about? If there are people that don't like UofL because they have black players, then there's no way they can like UK either.

 

I'm taking about how UL players are labeled as thugs. UL players have never been looked upon in the same reverence as UK players. Yes, I believe race plays a part in those labels.

I'm taking about how UL players are labeled as thugs. UL players have never been looked upon in the same reverence as UK players. Yes, I believe race plays a part in those labels.
PP, please explain your perspective on this. I agree people in this state don't regard UL players with the same fondness as UK players but I have a hard time believing it is because of race. The vast majority of UK's players are also black, right? I just don't follow your comment and maybe its because I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say.
The "Black Birds" comments persist to this day among many fans, although much fewer than it used to be. It was very, very common in the '80s and into the '90s.

 

1st I have ever heard that term. Must not have been used up here?

PP, please explain your perspective on this. I agree people in this state don't regard UL players with the same fondness as UK players but I have a hard time believing it is because of race. The vast majority of UK's players are also black, right? I just don't follow your comment and maybe its because I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

 

 

Just basing it on my own experiences. The racial component in the rivalry can't be ignored. It's kind of like how Tubby was and is still hated by some in his state. And it isn't because he couldn't recruit.

1st I have ever heard that term. Must not have been used up here?

 

Same here, I've lived in Western Ky my whole life (37 years) and have never heard the term "black birds" until I saw it in this thread.

Just basing it on my own experiences. The racial component in the rivalry can't be ignored. It's kind of like how Tubby was and is still hated by some in his state. And it isn't because he couldn't recruit.

 

Were there some people who disliked Tubby because of his race? Sure. But I guarantee you that the majority of UK fans did not support over the last few years because of the results that he was getting on the court. While he did have some nice recruiting classes, he didn't bring those classes in consistently. And he certainly underacheived with the talent he did have. Can you imagine what Cal could have done with Rondo? Bottom line is that had Tubby won at the rate that Cal has his first 3 years, it wouldn't have mattered whether his skin was black, brown, green, purple or yellow. He would be beloved just as Cal is right now.

Just basing it on my own experiences. The racial component in the rivalry can't be ignored. It's kind of like how Tubby was and is still hated by some in his state. And it isn't because he couldn't recruit.

 

So the fine folks of Minnesota are all raging racists too? Many of them aren't so fond of Tubby either.

 

Tubby was never disliked as a person. He was disliked because of his inability to return to the Final Four for a decade. The amazing Coach Smith that the nation was appalled to see run off from UK (nevermind that Smith resigned on his own) is now floundering at Minnesota and proving that was the mediocre coach Kentucky fans said he was and not the Hall of Famer that opposing fans and the national media professed.

 

I absolutely despise the quickness with which the race card is played. Kentucky fans are called racist for not liking UofL players, and yet Kentucky starts 5 black players that are absolutely adored throughout the state.

 

The racial element here (and in the majority of race issues in the US) is trumped up by those who refuse to accept the field is as level as it has ever been. It is brought up in an attempt to tear others down instead of building yourself up. If all you can hang your hat on as a Louisville fan is calling Kentucky fans racist, then it says a LOT more about you than it does Kentucky fans.

I knew that, but I've never in my life assumed, or did it even cross my mind that people assumed that if you were black, and lived in Kentucky you had to be a Louisville fan.

 

That is how it is to some people.

So the fine folks of Minnesota are all raging racists too? Many of them aren't so fond of Tubby either.

 

Tubby was never disliked as a person. He was disliked because of his inability to return to the Final Four for a decade. The amazing Coach Smith that the nation was appalled to see run off from UK (nevermind that Smith resigned on his own) is now floundering at Minnesota and proving that was the mediocre coach Kentucky fans said he was and not the Hall of Famer that opposing fans and the national media professed.

 

I absolutely despise the quickness with which the race card is played. Kentucky fans are called racist for not liking UofL players, and yet Kentucky starts 5 black players that are absolutely adored throughout the state.

 

The racial element here (and in the majority of race issues in the US) is trumped up by those who refuse to accept the field is as level as it has ever been. It is brought up in an attempt to tear others down instead of building yourself up. If all you can hang your hat on as a Louisville fan is calling Kentucky fans racist, then it says a LOT more about you than it does Kentucky fans.

 

 

I'm not a UL fan. I root for Duke. I despise the ground Pitino walks on and would root for UK before I would ever root for a Pitino coached team. Right now he is a UL.

 

I never said UK fans were racist. You are reaching way too hard to clear UK and you are completely misunderstanding everything I am saying.

 

 

I never said all UK fans hate Tubby because he is black. It's naive to think there aren't UK fans who never liked Tubby because he was black.

 

I talk to black UL fans daily. In 2012. When older black UL fans discuss why they hate UK it is because of the racial components from the 50's and 60's. All I ever did in this thread is acknowledge that.

Just basing it on my own experiences. The racial component in the rivalry can't be ignored. It's kind of like how Tubby was and is still hated by some in his state. And it isn't because he couldn't recruit.
Agreed on Tubby and agree that there is still a lot of racism in this state. I still don't get the idea that the reason people hate UL is because their players are black, while loving KY whose players are also black. I appreciate the honest, open discussion though. :thumb:
I talk to black UL fans daily. In 2012. When older black UL fans discuss why they hate UK it is because of the racial components from the 50's and 60's. All I ever did in this thread is acknowledge that.
Thanks, that sums up your comments very well. I can understand that and I have no doubt of the truth in that statement.
Agreed on Tubby and agree that there is still a lot of racism in this state. I still don't get the idea that the reason people hate UL is because their players are black, while loving KY whose players are also black. I appreciate the honest, open discussion though. :thumb:

 

 

No problem. I love a good open and honest discussion.:thumb:

I'm not a UL fan. I root for Duke. I despise the ground Pitino walks on and would root for UK before I would ever root for a Pitino coached team. Right now he is a UL.

 

I never said UK fans were racist. You are reaching way too hard to clear UK and you are completely misunderstanding everything I am saying.

 

 

I never said all UK fans hate Tubby because he is black. It's naive to think there aren't UK fans who never liked Tubby because he was black.

 

I talk to black UL fans daily. In 2012. When older black UL fans discuss why they hate UK it is because of the racial components from the 50's and 60's. All I ever did in this thread is acknowledge that.

 

I know all my points don't apply to you personally, but are my thoughts in general about the whole UK/Kentucky racist nonsense.

 

As for the bold, sounds like a group of people doing themselves and the people they influence a GREAT disservice.

Because I'm black.

 

What????:eek::eek::eek:

 

I thought you were Cardinal Red....St. Louis Cardinal Red that is...:lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.