March 20, 201214 yr I'm very surprised. Prohm has one year experience as a head coach. Would've thought State could attract interest from much more high profile guys.
March 20, 201214 yr If Mississippi State truly hires this guy it will be a mistake. It may work out for them but given the current information it would be a mistake since the guy has had only 1 year as Head Coach so it would definitely be a gamble on their part to hire him. If I had to pick a few based on consistent performance of mid-majors that have done well over the years would be Drexel or even Ohio's coach.
March 21, 201214 yr I'm very surprised. Prohm has one year experience as a head coach. Would've thought State could attract interest from much more high profile guys. Me too. When I heard this during lunch, I was not shocked but still a little taken back by the intrigue. If he were to leave, a team in the south would make the most sense and is where the bulk of his recruiting and connections have been. Most notably snagging Canaan out of Biloxi. Canaan ironically considered transferring to Mississippi State after his freshman year. On the other hand he may feel he needs to strike while the iron is hot. The cupboard is not bare, but trying to replicate or come anywhere close to what he did this year is near impossible. With the new practice facility going in and added momentum for the University, I hope they at a minimum they double his salary (presently about $200,000) and keep him around. I think what was most impressive about what he did was every assistant was a first year guy.
March 21, 201214 yr Thought I saw something on Twitter yesterday that said Murray State's coach announced that he'd be staying there.
March 21, 201214 yr See Darren Horn............. You think Prohm = Darrin Horn? How did you draw that conclusion? Horn had been at WKU long enough (5 years) to warrant consideration. He just proved to a poor coach at USC and not a likeable person.
March 21, 201214 yr Thought I saw something on Twitter yesterday that said Murray State's coach announced that he'd be staying there. Coach speak following the game on Saturday.
March 21, 201214 yr MSU search firm contacted Prohm while the Racers were still playing in the NCAA Tournament. Murray State AD isn't very happy about that...
March 21, 201214 yr What Prohm did this season was remarkable but I personally can't see any way that he has proven himself enough at this point for an SEC job. If he gets an offer, he probably almost has to take it but it would be a huge gamble for State.
March 21, 201214 yr You think Prohm = Darrin Horn? How did you draw that conclusion? Horn had been at WKU long enough (5 years) to warrant consideration. He just proved to a poor coach at USC and not a likeable person. I think he means he would be better off staying at Murray then taking Miss. St. job. You can make more money but can you win at those SEC football schools. Stansbury did a good job but never really took the program to elite level and they were ready to get rid of him. I would not leave a mid major job for any job in the Sec except(UK, Vandy, or Florida). The rest only care about football and put their resources towards that sport, then expect the basketball team to win at the same level without resources and facilities to compete. You may have early success but hard to sustain it.
March 21, 201214 yr I think he means he would be better off staying at Murray then taking Miss. St. job. You can make more money but can you win at those SEC football schools. Stansbury did a good job but never really took the program to elite level and they were ready to get rid of him. I would not leave a mid major job for any job in the Sec except(UK, Vandy, or Florida). The rest only care about football and put their resources towards that sport, then expect the basketball team to win at the same level without resources and facilities to compete. You may have early success but hard to sustain it. It sounds great in theory, but if you are going to make over a million dollars a year extra for 2-3 seasons (assuming he gets fired in that amount of time) with a shot to make a huge splash, at some point you are going to have to take a gamble. Not to mention it gives a chance to set up his family for life. Money does not buy happiness, but it can sometimes help.
March 22, 201214 yr You think Prohm = Darrin Horn? How did you draw that conclusion? Horn had been at WKU long enough (5 years) to warrant consideration. He just proved to a poor coach at USC and not a likeable person. What I am saying outside of Kentucky, Vandy, or Florida no other SEC school really cares enough about basketball. Only reason Florida is what Billy D has done. I think Horn should have waited and would have had better offers. I think Horn can coach. But it is tough at a Footabll first Conference.
March 22, 201214 yr What I am saying outside of Kentucky, Vandy, or Florida no other SEC school really cares enough about basketball. Only reason Florida is what Billy D has done. I think Horn should have waited and would have had better offers. I think Horn can coach. But it is tough at a Footabll first Conference. Did anyone hear Bruce Pearl on the radio? He basically affirmed what you said and added in UT. Something we all know. Mississippi State is decent compared to most, but yes it is football first. I still believe the south produces enough talent to succeed at another SEC institution.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.