Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

el gato

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by el gato

  1. One row was removed on the side where the benches and scorers table are located to allow more room for fans to walk behind the benches. This has already been done and was a huge improvement. It was done prior to the State Fire Marshall's visit last week. The mistake was made when they decided to make some of the lower level seats chair backs. They take up more room and the architect apparently didn't allow for this. I can't confirm this, but I heard that the architect paid to correct the problem. Coincidently, I heard that the same thing happened at the Fieldhouse back when they replaced the lower level bleachers. Supposedly the new ones took up more room and they also had to remove a row. I wasn't accusing Mason Co. of sending in the Fire Marshall, but I did find it very ironic that 3 of the 4 officials that showed up were from Mason Co. :lol:
  2. I heard pretty much the same thing. In fact, four officials from the State Fire Marshall's office visited Montgomery Co. and three of them were from Mason County (coincidence? I think not! :irked: ). Your numbers are incorrect though according to what I was told. I was told that they measured Montgomery County's gym at 4,408. That sounds about right to me based on the fact that there were about 3,500 there for the GRC game, and as I stated earlier, they could have handled about another 1,000. I was also told that the Fieldhouse measured out at around 5,200, not sure of that exact number. You may be right on 5,300.
  3. Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it?
  4. Only time will tell. In addition to the football field / gym parking lot, there is a large parking lot at the Clay Center, some new parking areas at the middle school, and a large church lot all within walking distance of the gym. They have constructed a new entrance to the campus off of the by-pass, next to the Clay Center which should help improve traffic flow. There is now actually three ways to get to the campus by exiting the by-pass at three different locations. I don't think parking or traffic flow will be a major issue. The biggest issue that needs to be, and I'm sure will be addressed, is ticket sales and getting people into the gym. That was a problem at the GRC game that I'm sure will promt some changes.
  5. After all of the expenses of hosting the tournament are taken out, the profit is split first among the participating teams. If the net profits reach a certain amount (I'm not sure what this amount is), then the remaining profit is split among all teams in the region. The reason that all girls' team don't get a share, is because the girls' tournament doesn't generate the same revenue and profit that the boys' tournament does.
  6. I have no idea where the figure 3600 came from, but I can assure you that is not the maximum capacity according to the State Fire Marshall. Like I said earlier, there were about 3500 there for the GRC game with several empty seats available, so the maximum capacity is definitely not 3600.
  7. 5 WHOLE MINUTES?!!!....WOW!!! In that case, I understand your discontent.
  8. That is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it. I'll give you the fact that Mason has a slightly larger gym. However, if you think it is a "better facility" or a "better place to watch a game", then I would question whether or not you have even been in Montgomery's gym. First off, the quality of the locker rooms don't even compare. Montgomery Co. has four large locker rooms of equal size and the quality of a small college facility. They are all located at floor level close to the floor. Mason Co. has at least one that is way to small to even accomodate a high school team and it is down two flights of stairs. Unlike the Fieldhouse, Montgomery Co.'s gym has restrooms and concessions on both the lower and upper level, with large flat panel TV's showing live game action. I have been in seats in the Fieldhouse where you couldn't even see the scoreboards because the view was obstructed by the side goal supports. There are no such obstructed views in Montgomery Co.'s new gym. Also, the seats in Montgomery's gym are much more comfortable than those wooden bleachers in the upper level of the Fieldhouse. Don't get me wrong, I think the Fieldhouse is a great place to watch a high school basketball game. I also think that the folks at Mason Co. have done an outstanding job hosting the regional tournament over the years. However, there is now another facility in the region worthy of a shot. You'd think that the most important thing would be for the kids involved to play in a quality environment and to have a FAIR shot at competing for a chance to go to RUPP, not how much money the member schools will receive or how far the casual fans will have to drive to watch the games.
  9. First of all, everyone needs to realize that building codes have changed since Mason County's gym was built. When measuring for seating capacity, seats are now required to be 6" wider than they used to be. In other words, a 30' section of bleachers would have a capacity of 20 people as measured under the old guidelines, while the same 30' section would only have a capacity of 15 people under the current set of codes. Mason County's seating capacity was determined years ago under the old guidelines. If it were measured today by the current standards, the capacity would be considerably less. Likewise, if Montgomery County's gym was measured according to the old building code, its capacity would be considerably more than 4,200. The largest crowd that Montgomery County has had to date was their game with GRC on Jan. 19. The crowd at that game was reported to be around 3,500 and there were several empty seats. I'd say they could have easily handled another 1,000 people, and if squeezed in like some of the crowds I've been a part of at the Fieldhouse, I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to get 5,000+ in there.
  10. Didn't Brossart start 7 or 8 seniors in the regional tournament last year? I don't think Clark or Montgomery lost that much and they were clearly the best two teams in the region last year, no reason to believe this year will be any different.
  11. According to the KHSAA state records at http://www.khsaa.org/records/basketball/boysbkrecords.pdf, 32 head coaches had reached 500 wins entering the 2006-2007 season. Only three coaches on this list are listed as being active coaches: 667 Ron Bevars - 31 seasons at North Hardin 653 Dale Mabrey - 25 seasons at PRP 649 Billy Hicks - 25 seasons at Evarts, Harlan, Corbin, & Scott Co. Congratulations Coach Rison for joining this exclusive club! :thumb:
  12. Montgomery completely shut him down the first time they played and that was when their center, Stephens was out with a bad shoulder.
  13. Only the second part was meant to be sarcastic, Mason Co. does do a tremendous job. :thumb: I just hope that when Montgomery Co. hosts it next year that people keep in mind the fact that Mason Co. has had it for 30+ years and it will be unrealistic to expect Montgomery Co. to pull it off flawlessly in their first attempt. I can promise you this though, the powers that be at Montgomery Co. will work as hard as anyone and do whatever it takes to make it the best it can be.
  14. You are correct, Mason Co. does an outstanding job running the regional tournament.....when you do something for 30+ years, you tend to get pretty good at it.
  15. I'll take a stab...(my apologies to Scott High who I haven't seen play and know nothing about) G-Preston Knowles-GRC G-Corey Pelle-Silver Grove F-Darius Miller-Mason Co. F-Kane Belcher-Pendleton Co. C-Troy Cooper-Bishop Brossart 6th Man-Brad Utterback-Montgomery Co. (because of his versatility)
  16. I've only seen them a few times, but my best guess on heights would be Metz 6'2" and Clemmons 5'10". Their football coach is a former player that played for Gary Ramey back in the 80's when they were having alot of success in football. He has restored alot of pride and excitement in the program and definitely has it headed in the right direction after many losing seasons.
  17. They have a new, fairly young coach this year that came from out of state, North Carolina I believe. Their two best players are Zach Metz & Landon Clemmons. Both did play football. Metz was QB and plays on the wing in basketball, very strong kid. I believe Clemmons played RB/WR in football and is the point guard on the basketball team, he's a very good athlete, very quick. Both will be back next year, I think both are juniors.
  18. The GRC / Montgomery Co. game on Friday night was their first really big crowd, and you're right, the ticket situation was bad. However, they recognize that it was a problem and I'm sure that they will take the necessary measures to improve that situation in the future. The comment about the lobby being small surprises me. They also have a lobby with another concession stand upstairs, and I got the feeling that the overall space was larger than the Fieldhouse.
  19. Bart Rison's teams are always a tough out in the postseason. Regardless of the level of talent, Montgomery Co. always seem ready to play in March, and have won many games in the postseason that they were not supposed to win.
  20. That is merely a formality.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.