KY Prep Classic

I went to the prep classic in Montgomery Co. this weekend and saw some good games. Mason beat J-town by a narrow margin, South Laurel beat Paintsville by a narrow margin, and Chritian Co lost to Bryan Station by a narrow margin. Mont. Co. had a really strong showing beating Clay Co. Really good games and really good talent.

Of course the talent was really strong at the tournament. More impressed with Mason than I was with South Laurel. Laurel is a really, really well coached team with lots of skill, but I think that their big man is kind of suspect????

Ira Combs always does a great job with this classic. He brings some of his own referee's from the 14th region and treats all the teams with some great hospitality! Usually always has all good games with quality teams. He always has it in a great place. Does anyone know where this classic will be next year?

I wonder why he brings his own officials? I know that officials from the 10th and 11th regions association did the Montgomery Co/Russell girls game and the South Laurel/Paintsville game.

What did everyone think of the new gym?

Very nice new facility, good views of the scoreboards and the floor from everywhere.:thumb:

Is it large enough to host the 5,000+ that typically attend the 10th Region semis (depending on the teams) and finals (regardless of the teams)? Time will tell. I've been very forthright in the past in stating that if the powers-that-be in the 10th vote for MC to host the tourney in 2008, they deserve the chance.

I believe that the count of the GRC game at Mont. co. was around 3500 roughly. I feel like the gym could have held around 1000 more reasonably. The upside to is that is without making any more seating accomodations. Who knows you may be able to squeeze 5000 in there.

All I know is that the gym held 3500 and there was no congestion problems and you could watch the game from the concession stand line. That is top notch for high school teams.

I believe that the count of the GRC game at Mont. co. was around 3500 roughly. I feel like the gym could have held around 1000 more reasonably. The upside to is that is without making any more seating accomodations. Who knows you may be able to squeeze 5000 in there.

All I know is that the gym held 3500 and there was no congestion problems and you could watch the game from the concession stand line. That is top notch for high school teams.

I'll agree to that. That is not only top notch for highschool, but college! I was impressed too.

I thought there were some great games and great teams at this years Prep Classic. What a great event. Ira Combs should be commended for the job he does with this. It is my understanding that he was pleased with the way things went at Montgomery Co. and that it will be back there next year.

As far as Montgomery's gym....WOW!!! What an awesome facility. I have been told that, while the official seating capacity is less than Mason County's Fieldhouse, it can hold just as many people and perhaps a few more. When the Fieldhouse was built, the building codes were different, and now the seats are required to be 6" wider when counting for seating capacity. I was at the GRC / Montgomery game Friday night and was told that the crowd was around 3500. They could have easily handled another 1000-1500 people. Looking forward to seeing how things go at the 2008 regional tournament there.

I thought there were some great games and great teams at this years Prep Classic. What a great event. Ira Combs should be commended for the job he does with this. It is my understanding that he was pleased with the way things went at Montgomery Co. and that it will be back there next year.

As far as Montgomery's gym....WOW!!! What an awesome facility. I have been told that, while the official seating capacity is less than Mason County's Fieldhouse, it can hold just as many people and perhaps a few more. When the Fieldhouse was built, the building codes were different, and now the seats are required to be 6" wider when counting for seating capacity. I was at the GRC / Montgomery game Friday night and was told that the crowd was around 3500. They could have easily handled another 1000-1500 people. Looking forward to seeing how things go at the 2008 regional tournament there.

Is that confirmed?

It is not 100% yet. The 40th will vote on this next year but it will more than likely happen.

I dont think it will hold more than the Fieldhouse, but it is a REALLY nice facility. Montgomery is very lucky to have this new gym.

That is merely a formality.

I think that Montgomery has a beautiful gym . I am not from Mason or Montgomery Co but like Mason's gym much better. The ticket selling situation is not the best at Montgomery,forcing people to stand outside in line to get tickets and the lobby downstairs is too small.I know Mason sells their tickets outside but it's much faster and smoother.

I think that Montgomery has a beautiful gym . I am not from Mason or Montgomery Co but like Mason's gym much better. The ticket selling situation is not the best at Montgomery,forcing people to stand outside in line to get tickets and the lobby downstairs is too small.I know Mason sells their tickets outside but it's much faster and smoother.

The GRC / Montgomery Co. game on Friday night was their first really big crowd, and you're right, the ticket situation was bad. However, they recognize that it was a problem and I'm sure that they will take the necessary measures to improve that situation in the future. The comment about the lobby being small surprises me. They also have a lobby with another concession stand upstairs, and I got the feeling that the overall space was larger than the Fieldhouse.