Everything posted by Freebird23
-
BIRDS State Rings
The banquet comes to a close with a parent providing a "snapshot" of the year's events and a final toast is presented to the team's seniors. Then the seniors' mom and dads are invited to the stage and the senior is presented with a HHS blanket and a pen drawing of the player. I have been to six prior HHS banquets - it's all good! Dale does an outstanding job recognizing each and every varsity player. And Henry521, I heard the same... two meals for this year's 8 hour event. This banquet WILL be the best event EVER! BTW, the rings are expected to be in around the end of March!
-
2007 Courier-Journal All-State Team
I would take Deuce in a heartbeat. Have had the opportunity to see him play once last year and again this year in the finals. This year he wasn't 100% and he still impressed me. He is an impact player! I have always pulled for Corey Farris (BOONE) but I would take the Deuce in a second... While I am at it... I still have to question Lone Oaks multiple selections... but since theses were made prior to the finals... I can see why they were selected.. weak schedule stats. All in all, the CJ did a much better job in selecting quality athletes from around the state than the Lexington paper!
-
2007 Courier-Journal All-State Team
What was his number?
-
BIRDS State Rings
My guess Sott High School took it...
-
2007 Herald-Leader Class of the Commonwealth
I may question the selection from Central. A very good team indeed! The standouts to me were the D-line! The QB was good, but not an All Stater in the game I attended.
-
2007 Herald-Leader Class of the Commonwealth
Agree 100%!
-
2007 Herald-Leader Class of the Commonwealth
First of all, and most importantly, the athletes that made the Lexington's paper all star team deserve all the recognition they received. All had a great season and most put up some "awesome" numbers. Congrats to Corey Farris of Boone County... very deserving of state recognition and hopefully will have a shot to represent northern Kentucky as the next Mr. Football. This year's Highlands team was not about stats and individual glory... this was a team that went 15-0 and played some great teams along the way. HHS played against some great stars along the way to #17 - but these stars did not play with their team. That was evident with Trotwood, Central and Bowling Green. The team won #17 and the team will wear gold rings that will last longer than a Lexington newsclipping... Nice to see the BIRDS, Beechwood Tigers and Cincinnati St. X get recognized before the start of the Bengals vs. Browns game today at PBS!
-
WKU for championships?
Looks like a pretty thorough discussion at this point .... I think its time for a poll! (PB, WKU, EKU, UK, Morehead St.) Anyone know how to set the polling?
-
Beechwood 38 LCA 35 (Take 2)
Only 2 1/2 months of that widrawal you were talking about! - Spring ball starts around the first of March in these neck of the woods... can't wait!
-
Almost Every State Champ team in the United States
I noticed that Texas still has state championship games to be played! Looks like two or three are slated for today... now that is a long season.
-
Highlands coaches
You read me like a book! :thumb:
-
Highlands coaches
^ NO to what he said...
-
Highlands coaches
I do not know... but what a great group of outstanding men! I do not think one could pick out the best coach out of this group. Each laid a cornerstone for the other that built Highlands Football what is today... talking about the recipe for a winning tradition. Great stuff 72birdman!
-
BIRDS State Rings
:thumb:
-
Since 1990, 10 schools have won 70% of the state titles...
:thumb: Could you imagine the stats the offensive and defensive players could amass? It would be a great recruiting ploy for the fellas to play at the next level...
-
New coach at Scott High?
I agree on the facility factor... but an athlete also looks at the head coach, the football staff, the won/loss record and if the graduating seniors have an opportunity to play football at the next level. IMO.. Dixie would be the easy decision for me. Dixie will be the easy decision until the Kenton Co. school system keeps the student athletes in the school district where they reside. I hope Scott takes their time in this very important decision making process and chooses the man that will right the ship! I also hope that the person selected will have the intestinal fortitude to demand the necessary changes to Scott's HS facilities.
-
NKY Bowl
The schools get along great without playing each other... both managed several state championships since the competition was stopped by NCC. Back in the day when the two schools were evenly matched it was the hottest ticket in northern Kentucky. Now that there is quite a disparity between the schools in athletic competition - the BIRDS are better off playing Louisville St. X, Trinity, Elder or Colerain. I do not forsee this rivalry comming back in the near future until the BREDS feel comfortable playing at this level of competition.
-
NKY Bowl
That would be most difficult to do in Ft Thomas as we do not pass on a regular basis... :thumb:
-
Who played the toughest schedule?
Cov Cath had the toughest schedule in northern Kentucky - hands down. Last two years, I would have given the nod to the BIRDS. This year - Blue Colonels! IMO - a schedule can be too tough. Especially when a team loses consecutive games, sustains key injuries. The morale dips and motivation seems hard to get kick started in key matchups - especially playoff time. I believe that happend to Cov Cath this year and to the BIRDS the last two years! I think the BIRDS had very competitive schedule this year. They played teams that gave some competition during the regular season and this competitive play prepared them well for the playoffs.
-
Since 1990, 10 schools have won 70% of the state titles...
I think I know you better than that. If you had your way, which you do most of the time, you would have the BIRDS playing 6 A and scheduling Cincinnati St. X, Elder and Colerain as fillers! I think most of the Highlands fans enjoy and take great pride in the fact that the school is playing up two classes. I certainly enjoy the competition of 5 A football. Besides, not being in the same classification as Cov Cath would be disasterous to both programs.
-
BIRDS State Rings
Wow... what does it taste like?
-
BIRDS State Rings
-
WKU for championships?
Perhaps the KHSAA? I agree with you 100%. But if Papa Johns can not host the premier highschool sporting event in Kentucky for one year - PB would be a nice alternative for everyone, including the athletes. If Papa Johns is not an option for the next several years... then I would agree UK, WKU or Georgetown would be the next options.
-
BIRDS State Rings
I know this was previously answered but I would like all to be perfectly clear: Santa Claus is paying 100% for the rings! I had three boys on the 2004 team. Yep! Three rings from good 'ole St. Nick! Secondly, the tradtion is that the seniors on the championship teams design the rings. If you are an underclassman on the state team, I would imagine you would not want to deviate from the seniors! That would be nerd like! My boys would wear the rings to school dances and to Cov Cath football and basketball games. Other than that... they are put into a box for the next event.
-
BIRDS State Rings
I informed one of the seniors it would be neat to have the HHS cannon on the side - with the Birds Nest banner below it. He said, "Why didn't they put that on your ring?" After a short pause, "Oh, you didn't win a State Championship your year..." :madman: