Everything posted by Straitshooter
-
5A #3 Scott County at 5A #1 Frederick Douglass Predictions/Updates
Why mention that one of Scott Co TDs vs Lafayette this year was a pick 6 but not mention that 2 of Douglass TDs vs Lafayette this year were punt returns? Or the fact that Douglass started 2 of their possessions on the Lafayette 20 and Lafayette 27 due to INT's?
-
5A #3 Scott County at 5A #1 Frederick Douglass Predictions/Updates
There hasn't been much debate over the last few years. Scott County has been the premier team in Central KY it seems. Other than a 3 game losing streak to Lafayette when they were at their peak, no one else seems to be able to string together much against them. Douglass is 1-3 and lost in the playoffs twice to Scott County. That might change this year, but I think it would take more than one regular season win to change who is the most prominent program in Central KY.
-
2A #3 Lexington Christian Academy vs. 4A #3 Lexington Catholic ***Upset Alert***
Maybe you are right, but do you know how you get to be the PrepSpin game of the week? Be two of the schools they have a deal with. Pretty simple. I wouldn't judge the popularity by just that. That is why I said private schools are more the exception. Go to a public school game and there is hardly anyone there beyond student sections and parents/family. The private schools have a little more of a following.
-
2A #3 Lexington Christian Academy vs. 4A #3 Lexington Catholic ***Upset Alert***
Private schools are a little more the exception than the rule, but there are no hot tickets in Lexington. The community doesn't really come out for games. Too much else to do. Especially probably this weekend for the Catholic fans with Christ the King Oktoberfest going on.
-
Scott County 72 Great Crossing 7
To be fair, they run an offense that doesn't lend itself to changing much when the score is out of hand. Most of their plays are rushes anyway.
-
Scott County 72 Great Crossing 7
After re-reading my post, it isn't clear. A lot of the Great Crossing players are former Scott County players and as Cardinals they ran up the score a lot on teams. It is just something they do.
-
Scott County 72 Great Crossing 7
I think people are making a bigger deal of this than the people that were actually involved in the game. Paul Raines is one of Jim McKee's closest friends in the game and I'm sure they talked about this being a possible outcome before it happened. Also, we need to remember that there are a lot of kids on Great Crossing that were on Scott County last year when the Cardinals were doing these same things to other teams. So they know how SC operates. SC plays Lafayette this week and that probably won't be much of a game either so at some point your guys need to play to get ready for games that you'll need them. A night that was 68 degrees and in front of 5k fans sounds like the best situation to me.
-
Crowdus leaving Frederick Douglass?
I am hearing this as well. Landis may not be roaming the sidelines tonight from what I heard.
-
BGP QOTD: Who makes the all-time Central Kentucky all star team?
Im pretty sure there is only 1 QB in KY High School history to throw for 70 career TD's and rush for 70 career TD's. That is Walker Wood from Lafayette. If were talking high school careers then there is no way he can be left off this list. Only member of 70/70 club and back to back 6A State Championship appearances.
-
Rules Question
A backboard isn't less likely to break with the officials out there watching warmups. I do agree that is why the rule is in place, but I think it is antiquated.
-
Open Job: Scott
The bottom line is administrations have a lot at stake these days with academics. I was told one time that my principal would not sacrifice an average teacher for an excellent coach. 20 years ago it would've commonplace for a principal to save a position for a coach, but now these administrators have to get the best teachers.
- BGP QOTD: Who makes the all-time Central Kentucky all star team?
- BGP QOTD: Who makes the all-time Central Kentucky all star team?
-
Frederick Douglass QB
Rumor is another EKY QB has transferred to Frederick Douglass. Can anyone confirm this?
-
Shot Clock
Our board of ed. sets our ticket prices. There are multiple schools in our county and we have asked for a change to prices for years. That is a discussion for another post. Our district also doesn't retain an electrician to do these things, so we would have to pay. The building doesn't belong to the booster club so a parent can't install electricity on their own and a team can't just hire any electrical company to do the job. Pepsi and Coke are no longer real options and it is simply not true anymore that they donate to schools. They give almost nothing since soft drink machines aren't available to students. The bottom line is cost is a huge factor. I work in a district where $0 go towards athletics other than the head coach stipend. Give us a few years to prepare and fundraise, then it would be possible. These are just the realities of some districts. Your ideas may be perfectly possible in some places, but bigger districts doesn't mean more money of revenue. I am for the shot clock too. I have seen too many OT games where the team that wins the jump ball just holds it for most of the period.
-
Open Job: Taylor County
They seemed to get a lot of bad publicity this year between the video of the kid that got ejected then the tweets about how fans, media, etc. that are associated with Taylor County acted at the region tournament (I think it was the region). Whoever takes over it appears is going to have to make some changes. I know every school and every coach has to deal with these things, but it seems these were a lot more noticeable this season.
-
Shot Clock
You obviously don't work in a school system. We can't just go to Home Depot and buy 1000 feet of wire and run a wire from the backboard across the gym. There are standards we have to follow and electricians we have to pay. Additionally, we don't set our ticket prices so raising the prices isn't something we can just do.
-
Shot Clock
The clocks themselves aren't the expense. It's the electricity that has to get to them. If you hang them on the backboard you have to run wires from the backboard up the poles to the ceiling, and eventually to an outlet. I'm sure that goals that raise and lower require even more detail. Many of the goals in our state have probably been in place since the 80s and it would be difficult to make all this happen. Add in the fact that 95% of the gyms in our state are used for PE classes during the day so the risk associated with something electronic sitting only 13ft off the ground is always there. So yeah, if you could get some shot clocks and sit them on the corner of the court and plug them into the wall (assuming they were wirelessly controlled) then it wouldn't be more than $2000.
-
Open Job: Scott County
Ryan Wilson, formerly of Woodford County I believe, would get a good look I imagine. I believe he graduated from Scott County and has done a good job at Woodford.
-
Open Job: Scott County
What is considered a true search? If they have someone in mind, they should just give it to that person. You don't have to even open it up for a supplemental position.
-
Moeller (OH) Home Games
I noticed on their 2019 schedule that their home games are now going to be at Princeton. I wonder what happened with Lockland? They seemed to accommodate Moeller pretty well there.
-
Way Too Early 2019-20 Preseason Favorites?
Henry Clay should be near the top of the 11th. They have the best player in the region coming back and always have a lot of talent. If you don't have an idea then Lexington Catholic wouldn't be the one I would choose. They are coming off their first sub .500 season in almost 30 years. I can't see them being a threat in the region.
-
Scott County - 2019 Schedule
Very well could be. That is fall break I think so no school the next day.
-
Simon Kenton - 2019 Schedule
The Bowl Game will be at Lafayette. Henry Clay vs Simon Kenton Lafayette vs Johnson Central
-
Lexington Christian 46 Lexington Catholic 41 (43rd District Semifinals)
This year seems to be different. Still brutal, but not really any great teams.