Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jordan Nevels to Highlands?

Featured Replies

Originally posted by blueblood2445

I have a question to anyone who cares to answer.

 

If a player from Highlands was rumored to be moving to Sk would it be such a big deal?

 

When was the last time that happened?

  • Replies 153
  • Views 45.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by shooter

When was the last time that happened?

 

Obviously I follow Highlands and high school sports pretty closely, but I can only think of a few high school athletes that have ever transferred from Highlands.

 

Christian Stephanopolous (Girls B-ball) went to Boone Co.

 

There was a kid who went to Newport about 5 years ago and was a boys B-ball player. Can't remember his name, but it will come to me.

 

Brad Carr (SK coach) played freshman ball at Highlands before transferring to Holmes. Mid-80's.

 

David McDowell played freshman b-ball and football at Highlands before transferring to Cov. Cath. Was a very good kicker for Cov. Cath. Mid-80's.

 

Brett Baker played freshman b-ball and football at Highlands before transferring to Lloyd. Mid-80's.

You can't just broad stroke it by saying it's purely athletical(is that a word, it is now) reasons.

 

Namecips. Would you please explain why it isnt "purely about athletics". Because if you are like me and most likely any other highschool football fan, you would probably assume that it is purely about athletics.

Ouch bad example about the Christian S. thing as someone will point out that Boone Co. was team #3 and Highlands was team #2 and Bellevue was team #1.

 

Anyway kids transfer all the time.

 

I would dare to say, without any stats other than what I can recall, that it is much more common for a marginal athlete that will not see playing time at Big-time school to transfer to Small-time school and become a starter for them.

 

Sometimes this transfer could be done for athletics alone, sometimes it is partially due to athletics, sometimes it has nothing to do with athletics.

 

However, I could cite numerous examples of this. I cannot think of many where great star athlete transfered from Small-time school to Big-time school to be a bigger star.

Jordan was a starter on SK's basketball at guard and was a great defender, and ball handler he can score too, some SK fan's were concerned the first few weeks before season started when they heard that he wouldn't be playing b-ball this season.

 

All i know is Highland's is getting a great player, i may be shelter'd or naive but i think by his senior year possibly the best player in the state, people should look at his stat's yards after the catch and what he did to dixie when he came in at tail back after his brother got hurt,... he hadn't practiced ONCE at tailback and still came in and ran for i wonna say over a 100 yards. Everyone say's he'll play defense defense and maybe a little offense, maybe because that's where his brother's all really excelled, and he can hit some people and tackle's well. HOWEVER

if you watch some tape's it's clear that this kid is tough. He's a got in my mind and i don't see how any one esle could disagree to play at a very good D1 school when he graduate's and play an offensive position. He doesn't look huge, but he's quick, fast and very tough to tackle for a player his size. I know it's very premature because he's only a soph. But the way he carries himself well and in my mind will be a great player by the time he gradutate's.

 

I'm not an "expert" but do watch a TON of football, and have started paying more and more attention to mechanic's and speed and vision, Jordan excell's in all three area's. I might be wrong, but i don't think i'm off on this one at all. He's a clutch player as well. I all most wish football season was next month.... However it's not and i'm still looking to make a trip down to Rupp with my school being one of the teams in the tournament. Hopefully:)

I am sure there have probably been some athletes leave Highlands and gone to other schools but more often than not it is kids leaving their respective district and going to Highlands.

Derek Smith was from Silver Grove's district..really can't blame him for leaving...Draud was from Edgewood....

Oldbird mentioned Brad Carr, Brad went through the Covington School System his whole life and went to Highlands for a year or two then came back to Covington.

The only thing that is interesting is that the Nevels kid is telling others that he is going to Highlands to "win a ring".

As for contacts with Mueller, you do not have to speak to the head coach to make your interest known. The head coach doesn't have to communicate verbally to the kid himself, but he can do it through second and third parties.

Dave Guidugli, father of a few kids that have/are going through Highlands, was seen smoozing the Nevels during the SK/Highlands hoop game this past Monday.

I would find it hard to believe that Mueller had no inkling of Nevels interest in coming to Highlands, especially since this has been brewing since October and November...

I am not insinuating that Mueller has done anything wrong....

I doubt SK will have much beef with Nevels leaving other than they wished he would have stayed...even though it is being done primarily for athletic reasons.

If you read the KHSAA rules that I posted earlier, doesn't it seem that this is not a "done deal" as far as being allowed to participate in athletics at Highlands? If its true that he's moving in with his brother, then what I read is that the KHSAA will not grant him the right to play. It clearly says that just because his brother assumes some sort of guardianship, he is still not allowed to play. In order to play, his parents must be deemed unfit. I'm going to assume that they're good people, so that reason is out.

 

Am I missing something here? If his family does not move, the way I'm reading it is that the KHSAA will not allow him to play.

 

Am I wrong?

 

Here's the link again - read section 6 and tell me if I'm interpeting this correctly?

 

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw6.pdf

I for one think this is a football decision.

If Nevels was leaving for CovLatin, then I would think it was for a better education.

How about Covington Holmes? Dont they have some nationally known baccularate program at Holmes? Why not go there?

Didnt somebody say his brother was going to be a lawyer and was a D-1 athlete at one time? Didnt he go to SK? SK was good enough for him was it not? What is the difference between SK now and then? It was good for everybody else in his family why not Jordan?

 

Didn't SK have a player go to Kentucky a couple of seasons ago? He went to a decent D-1 program.

 

Yeah some people want to think that the young man is leaving SK for Highlands for a better education. There are other places the young man could go and get a better education than at Highlands.

 

Here is the biggest thing about all this. We are not talking about some guy in his 20's who is making a decision about leaving some college for someplace else. Were discussing a young highschool kid here.

 

Years from now we wont even remember this. I mean how many other players from Highlands started out somewhere and ended up in Ft. Thomas? Nevels isnt the first and he wont be the last.

 

I wish the young man good luck and hope this was a good decision for him and his family. I hope they get what they want out of the whole situation

 

Who I really feel sorry for is Coach Marksberry and his staff as well as the players on next years team. They will be playing in what may be the most competitive district in the state next season. Now they lose what many are calling a D-1 product, who I am sure was in the plans for next season. While this young man is at Highlands, the Pioneers of SK will still be playing football. They will continue to play long after Jordan Nevels is gone and forgotten about.

 

Again I cant stress enough that I hope and wish the best for this young man and his family. I hope all things will work out for him in the long run. I have had sort of the same thing hapen where I coach at, though it really dissapointed me when it happened, I still liked the kid and the family.

 

What I am trying to say, is for all the people who dont agree with this (I am one of them by the way) dont wish any poor will or feelings on this young man. It may upset a lot of people ( and it should for various reasons) but we will get on with our lives. Like I said though, I am thinking about the rest of the Sk players and how they will react to this, hopefully they come out next season and do well, even after suffering such a big loss to a key player.

Originally posted by letabrotherspeak

Dave Guidugli, father of a few kids that have/are going through Highlands, was seen smoozing the Nevels during the SK/Highlands hoop game this past Monday.

 

Dave smoozes with everyone and he knows lots of people. Hardly an indication of anything shady. Since he runs camps and makes money off of camps. Dave would probabaly rather have a kid attend one of his camps where they pay him than risk alienating a potiential client.

 

Originally posted by letabrotherspeak

I would find it hard to believe that Mueller had no inkling of Nevels interest in coming to Highlands, especially since this has been brewing since October and November...

 

Sure you are insinuating that Mueller is involved. That is why you brought it up.

 

Originally posted by letabrotherspeak

I doubt SK will have much beef with Nevels leaving other than they wished he would have stayed...even though it is being done primarily for athletic reasons.

 

Come on you have spent a whole thread defending a guy for throwing away a recruiting letter to a kid who is still at his school and has only talked of transferring. Do you really think the SK people don't have much beef with Nevels leaving?

 

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!

 

Could it be that Nevels or his family simply got tired of losing and not being able to compete. Sought out the best place for Jordan to finish high school and there was nothing sinister involved? Of course it could be, but it doesn't make for as good of discussions as you suggesting the big ugly bluebird stole from the talent poor pioneers their star players while an innocent coach stood shedding tears wishing him the best.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Sweet Cake

Could it be that Nevels or his family simply got tired of losing and not being able to compete. Sought out the best place for Jordan to finish high school and there was nothing sinister involved

 

 

I think that's very possible. But based upon my non-expert, non-legal, reading the rules and taking them for face value opinion, he would not be allowed to play for Highlands next year.

Originally posted by shooter

I think that's very possible. But based upon my non-expert, non-legal, reading the rules and taking them for face value opinion, he would not be allowed to play for Highlands next year.

 

When did it become an issue for a family to chose the community and school system that is best for a kid to go to school? The only way Nevels will be eligible is for him to have residency in Ft. Thomas. What makes this different than the many many other families who choose a community based upon the school that is there.

Originally posted by Sweet Cake

When did it become an issue for a family to chose the community and school system that is best for a kid to go to school? The only way Nevels will be eligible is for him to have residency in Ft. Thomas. What makes this different than the many many other families who choose a community based upon the school that is there.

_______________________________________________

 

Sweet, if you'll read through the posts, it was mentioned that the family was not moving, but rather, the boy is going to move in with his brother who lives in Ft Thomas. Residency is not, by itself, enough according to KHSAA rules. Shooter simply read the transfer rule regarding guardianship and interpreted that it would not be allowed. IF the family moves to Ft Thomas, this is a moot point.

It's an issue because the KHSAA has specific rules about the eligibility of transfers. It's not as simple as just moving in with your brother who lives in Fort Thomas.

The only way he will be eligible is if his family "lives" in Ft. Thomas. We all know that and I'm sure he knows that. However, what does "living" in Ft. Thomas mean? What would stop the family from establishing "residency" in a Ft. Thomas apartment Monday-Friday and go live in their Independence home after the game on Friday until Monday morning.

 

Look I don't care if the kid comes or not. If he does he will help a good Highlands team be better. If he doesn't he will help a mediocre SK team be ... well... mediocre. This move benefits one person and that person is Nevels more than it benefits anyone else or hurts anyone else.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.