Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Newport Central Catholic 52 Boone County 49

Featured Replies

  • Author

Pitts played. Passed up too many open looks.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see Jake Schulte gets some minutes for the Breds. He's been battling an illness for approx. a month and I think last night was his 1st game back in almost a month.

 

I think he has been back but this was probably the first game he was back and healthy. If he starts to play well and is aggressive NewCath will be tough to beat with him and the McDonald kid inside, as long as they get good guard play.

The youngster got some good minutes tonight. The kid that started for Boone in the 4 position and his sub combined for 7 fouls in the 11 minutes of the game.

 

Brendan has a chance to be a good player next year. Needs to work on ballhandling and developing a pull up jumper. Good athlete. I hear he's a really nice kid.

 

Is he just a freshman - Brendan Stanley?

I spoke with a Boone Admin that was in attendance last night and I asked him: Where is the band? Where are the cheerleaders? Students?

 

He had no idea. Perhaps they all forgot there was a game?

 

I think that played into the game as well. It was an uninspiring game/atmosphere in my opinion, at least the first three quarters anyway.

 

Got to give some credit to the Miller kid for NCC who played some very solid defense on McQueary. I think the only time he scored was when Miller was out of the game or switched on a pick.

 

I didn't think NCC got the ball into McDonald enough last night. There were times when he was open and they didn't pass it in and then there were times where they rotated the ball back to the other side before he got a chance to post up.

 

I was on the NCC side (behind NCC bench) and didn't hear the fan, however, if they were directing the comments towards the refs, I could see where they could be upset. Again, not a lot of consistency with the calls, on both sides!

  • Author
Is he just a freshman - Brendan Stanley?

 

Correct.

I spoke with a Boone Admin that was in attendance last night and I asked him: Where is the band? Where are the cheerleaders? Students?

 

He had no idea. Perhaps they all forgot there was a game?

 

I think that played into the game as well. It was an uninspiring game/atmosphere in my opinion, at least the first three quarters anyway.

 

Got to give some credit to the Miller kid for NCC who played some very solid defense on McQueary. I think the only time he scored was when Miller was out of the game or switched on a pick.

 

I didn't think NCC got the ball into McDonald enough last night. There were times when he was open and they didn't pass it in and then there were times where they rotated the ball back to the other side before he got a chance to post up.

 

I was on the NCC side (behind NCC bench) and didn't hear the fan, however, if they were directing the comments towards the refs, I could see where they could be upset. Again, not a lot of consistency with the calls, on both sides!

 

I saw NCC play in the Lloyd tournament and noticed the same thing. They have someone with that size and is that good they need to get him the ball more, IMO.

 

The Miller kid is a great roll player and plays solid defense.

The youngster got some good minutes tonight. The kid that started for Boone in the 4 position and his sub combined for 7 fouls in the 11 minutes of the game.

 

Brendan has a chance to be a good player next year. Needs to work on ballhandling and developing a pull up jumper. Good athlete. I hear he's a really nice kid.

 

Very good Kid, very polite, works hard of the court.

I didn't think NCC got the ball into McDonald enough last night. There were times when he was open and they didn't pass it in and then there were times where they rotated the ball back to the other side before he got a chance to post up.

 

I was not at the game. But IMO there are not a lot of teams/players who know how to effectively work with the big guy in the middle. As has been said here often on BGP, high school ball is a guards game. Too often they want to throw the ball up and go for the trey, instead of getting it to the big guy who usually has a better chance to score.

But the team sure is glad when that big guy is in postion to box out, rebound and put back up!

  • Author

NC runs a really nice set that does get good looks inside. One thing the youngster needs to work on is absorbing contact. I've noticed he fades away a bit when he has the ball, goes strong, runs into some contact, and then sort of flings it rather than setting his feet and going up strong. I'm sure that's simply from not having to absorb contact from a strong defender in middle school. Once he gets that down he's going to be a load to deal with.

Good info, Clyde. But at what point does the "setting his feet, going up strong, and absorbing the contact" appear to be a

charge to the guys in the stripes?

  • Author
Good info, Clyde. But at what point does the "setting his feet, going up strong, and absorbing the contact" appear to be a

charge to the guys in the stripes?

 

It's only a PC foul if he puts the shoulder into the chest of a player with legal guarding position. I'm talking about gathering himself and using footwork to get off a good shot vs some of the fading away throwing it up type shots I've seen a few times when he gets body contact. He has a nice jump hook and has a nice off-hand. Good footwork will get him more points. Plus he appears to shoot FTs well.

I was not at the game. But IMO there are not a lot of teams/players who know how to effectively work with the big guy in the middle. As has been said here often on BGP, high school ball is a guards game. Too often they want to throw the ball up and go for the trey, instead of getting it to the big guy who usually has a better chance to score.

But the team sure is glad when that big guy is in postion to box out, rebound and put back up!

I agree completely with your comment about teams not knowing how to use a post player and the game being a guards game. If the guards would only realize how much easier it is to get good looks by "Going inside out" they could live on the jump shot. It is SO much easier getting the ball inside and having the center kick it back out than trying to run picks to get shots. I seriously don't think some guards even look inside. They are so intent on running off screens that they are oblivious to the post player being open. It happens on a lot of teams, but having seen NCC a couple of times in the Lloyd tourney there are times it looks like some people don't want the ball to go inside. I know the kid is only a freshman and that might factor into "sharing the ball", but when you have a force like that you have to use him until the other team stops him. He will make freshman mistakes, and I'm sure he has, but in the 2 games I saw he looked pretty good.

I spoke with a Boone Admin that was in attendance last night and I asked him: Where is the band? Where are the cheerleaders? Students?

 

He had no idea. Perhaps they all forgot there was a game?

 

I think that played into the game as well. It was an uninspiring game/atmosphere in my opinion, at least the first three quarters anyway.

 

Got to give some credit to the Miller kid for NCC who played some very solid defense on McQueary. I think the only time he scored was when Miller was out of the game or switched on a pick.

 

I didn't think NCC got the ball into McDonald enough last night. There were times when he was open and they didn't pass it in and then there were times where they rotated the ball back to the other side before he got a chance to post up.

 

I was on the NCC side (behind NCC bench) and didn't hear the fan, however, if they were directing the comments towards the refs, I could see where they could be upset. Again, not a lot of consistency with the calls, on both sides!

 

The radio station I was listening to reported that all extra curricular activities scheduled for Boone, Campbell and Kenton County schools had been cancelled for the evening. Heard it more than once.

  • Author

 

The radio station I was listening to reported that all extra curricular activities scheduled for Boone, Campbell and Kenton County schools had been cancelled for the evening. Heard it more than once.

 

That was for Thursday night. The game was Wednesday night when there wasn't any bad weather.

This game was played on Wed night not this evening.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.