Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

14th Region (ratings) Top to Bottom

Featured Replies

  • Author
Roundleather24 Agree with everything except quote on Powell playing Clay tough. Didn't think Clay was very good. Also did Perry have some kids out against Bell.

Then that was my bad. I just assumed that with Clay so deep in tradition, that they would always have a pretty decent team. Wasn't aware they were down. I could tell you a lot about the 14th region, but when it comes to other mountain regions I'm kind of lost. Perry had all their players as far as I'm aware. Anybody know?

  • Replies 34
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee County really impressed a lot of people when they "put it to" Owsley on their home court. They have some big boys and the Brandenburg kid can handle the rock.

I don't know if I would boast too much about a win that was the first in 20 years for a Bobcat team in Booneville. It's good to see them finally winning again like they have the past two years. It makes the district and region look better.

 

But with that said, Lee County is simply a better team right now than Owsley County, as well as plenty of other mountain schools.

Then that was my bad. I just assumed that with Clay so deep in tradition, that they would always have a pretty decent team. Wasn't aware they were down. I could tell you a lot about the 14th region, but when it comes to other mountain regions I'm kind of lost. Perry had all their players as far as I'm aware. Anybody know?

 

Perry did not have George Campbell, Brandon Willis or Eric Combs.

Perry did not have George Campbell, Brandon Willis or Eric Combs.

Yea I knew they just didn't lose one. There had to have been somthing wrong.

I haven't seen a 14th Region top to bottom rating since the first of the season and I know some have definetly changed their minds a month into the season. So lets agree and disagree with each other and get it started:

1) Perry County Central (the team to beat for now)

2) Leslie County (pre-ranked #1 and are starting to play well)

3) Knott County Central (playing well but had disappointing loss to LCC)

4) Lee County (Huge winning streak, there IS more than one Bobcat team in

the 14th region)

5) Jackson City (You all know they're my favorite team. Playing well, not

made much noise yet, will be tested today at Hazard)

6) Hazard (Slow start but are hard to beat anytime, lost to PCC by only 2)

7) Letcher Central (Has beaten KCC but have looked slow and sluggish at

times. Will still be hard to beat come years end)

8) Estill County (Has one of the best bigmen in the region, this team is not

to be overlooked as I did in another poll)

9) Cordia (Hard playing ballclub that can beat anyone in the 14th on a good

night)

10) Buckhorn (Quick and dangerous team that could also compete with

anyone on a good night)

11) June Buchanan (Couple of good young players, keyword there young,

couple years away from making noise)

12) Wolfe County (Has #1 player in region but the buck stops there, until

Stamper gets back maybe, but for now Wolves #12)

13) Owsley County (Has a great player in Neeley, but much like Wolfe, Robert

Smith will help but for now the Owls have Lucky 13)

14) Powell County (Disappointing season for the Pirates and doesn't look any

brighter in the future, atleast not this year)

15) Breathitt County (I hate to put the Bobcats here but at 1-8 and a big

loss to Hazard, 20 to Cordia, and 18 to Buckhorn at

home, I have to. Although I think they will move up)

Lookout in the 2007 season)

16) Jenkins (Been blowed out a couple times by average teams the Cavs will

have a hard time competing with mid region teams this year)

17) Riverside (Although better than before, the Rams small selection of

players hurt them, but I am glad to see them doing a whole lot

better. Tommy Miller is a really great influence for these kids)

 

If June Buchanan is only the 11th best team in the 14th region, then it is flat loaded!!

If June Buchanan is only the 11th best team in the 14th region, then it is flat loaded!!

Must be loaded.

If June Buchanan is only the 11th best team in the 14th region, then it is flat loaded!!

They are better than 11th. They've played a pretty good schedule so far and have some impressive wins. They could very well be a top 5 team from what I hear. I haven't seen them yet, but people who have come away very impressed.

  • Author
They are better than 11th. They've played a pretty good schedule so far and have some impressive wins. They could very well be a top 5 team from what I hear. I haven't seen them yet, but people who have come away very impressed.

They could be, but it's hard to compare them to other 14th region teams when the only 14th region team they've played in 10 games is a Jenkins team that is not having a real successful year. Also with the loss to Cumberland at home was another factor in my rankings. I know they play PCC shortly, but they really wont be tested by the 14th Region until the end of this month in the All A, and also at the end of the month they get into playing Cordia, LCC, and Owsley. Heck, they may be #1, but without 14th regional games to compare, it's hard to say where they are.

They could be, but it's hard to compare them to other 14th region teams when the only 14th region team they've played in 10 games is a Jenkins team that is not having a real successful year. Also with the loss to Cumberland at home was another factor in my rankings. I know they play PCC shortly, but they really wont be tested by the 14th Region until the end of this month in the All A, and also at the end of the month they get into playing Cordia, LCC, and Owsley. Heck, they may be #1, but without 14th regional games to compare, it's hard to say where they are.

You make a good point. I was just going on what they have done against some fairly good competition outside the 14th, particularly in the Berea Tournament, and what I have been told by neutral fans who have seen them play. But you're right, until they play more teams from their own region it's hard to get a handle on exactly how good they are. Owsley County will get them on January 25th in the All 'A'. Robert Smith will have been back for 12 days by that time, hopefully he can give the Owls enough of a boost to make a difference in the outcome.

  • Author
You make a good point. I was just going on what they have done against some fairly good competition outside the 14th, particularly in the Berea Tournament, and what I have been told by neutral fans who have seen them play. But you're right, until they play more teams from their own region it's hard to get a handle on exactly how good they are. Owsley County will get them on January 25th in the All 'A'. Robert Smith will have been back for 12 days by that time, hopefully he can give the Owls enough of a boost to make a difference in the outcome.

Smith will help, and that first round matchup should prove to be a dandy!

I have watched June Buchanan play several times this year and have been impressed with them. They have alot of talent but seem to play selfish sometimes. They also need to get the ball to their 6"8" freshman center more if they want to compete in the region. imo they can compete with any team in the 14th if they don't try to make it a one player team.

I just wonder why nothing was ever said about the big Riley boy going back to Buckhorn, after playing a full season at Owsley Co. But Robert Smith was made to sit out games when he basically did the same thing.(playing for Clay Co, then going back to Owsley) Anybody have any insight on this BIG indifference??

the difference is Smith transferred mid-season and Riley transferred after the season. I could be wrong but I believe that is how those transfers went down.

From what I understand Riley moved.

Is it just me or is it really hard to understand how KHSAA rules on transfer/moving eligibility. I know KHSAA has guidelines but still it should be easier for everyone to understand. Like for instance the differences between:

 

Cleve Washington-what really was the situation & what was the real ruling??

 

Chris Stamper-had to sit basketball @ wolfe, played in baseball district last march & is sitting now for basketball??

 

Robert Smith-moved to clay & back to owsley (probably closest situation to chris stampers)

 

Eli Warren, Josh Riley-moved/transferred after seasons, i guess is why they are allowed to play.

 

I've heard all the reasoning & know kind of the situations but I'm getting to the point that KHSAA doesnt seem to always be consistent in their rulings. I just wish that I would be able to take an educated guess about a player transferring & it be right instead of there having to be a "ruling"

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.